Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for magazines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1MM UA
Miles for magazines

Back when the TWA and AA programs merged, I signed up all family members for programs that we never fly, such as US Air, Continental and Alaska. Through surveys and such, we have a few miles in each. Yesterday we got nearly identical offers from two of them; The balance of 1500 miles in each account for five one-year magazine subscriptions. Each had 32 choices. One offer was for 1500 Contintental Onepass miles, the other for 1500 US Air Dividend miles.
1.) This seems like a much better deal than previous offers of miles for magazines. Particularly since they're probably just orphan miles anyway. But I haven't kept any of the old offers, so I'm not sure.
2.) The lists of magazines were slightly different. Does anyone think there would be a problem choosing entries from both lists? Each magazine has a 3 digit code.
3.) Anyone see a downside? No credit card is required.

If anyone requests on this thread, I'll type in the magazine codes.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Can you post the link? I wouldn't mind burning 1500-2000 Dividend Miles on mags. Especially if it's cheap...
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Can you post the link? I wouldn't mind burning 1500-2000 Dividend Miles on mags. Especially if it's cheap...</font>
You can burn miles for magazines at www.milepoint.com

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:50 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:

</font>
Be careful of the exchange rate though.

At milepoint, Time Magazine costs 2500 miles.
At nwa.com, Time Magazine costs 1800 miles.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:

</font>
Thanks for the tip. I just spent 3400 HHonors points and 600 Dividend miles on three subscriptions I've been wanting to start. I feel that I got exceptional value for the HH points (a year of SI and a year of Runners World) and adequate value for the US miles. (Just looking to create a redemption activity, since I have no idea when/if my DM miles expire.)

One thing to be careful with on Milepoint: you have to set your preferences carefully BEFORE you go picking out magazines to ensure points/miles are withdrawn from the correct account. Another approach would be to never have more than one travel program affiliated with Milepoint at any time (add and delete as needed) - just to be safe.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I got the same offer -- burn my 802 orphan miles on AA for 5 magazine subscriptions. The offer came in the mail, so there is no "link" to post.

The magazines offered were:
American Photo, The Atlantic Monthly, Bassmaster, Blender, BusinessWeek, Cigar Aficionado, Computer Shopper, Entrepreneur, ESPN the Magazine, Fast Company, Field & Stream, Financial Times, T&L Golf, Golf for Women, Golf World, Health, HOUR Detroit Magazine, Inc., Latina Magazine, Macworld, Movieline, The New York Observer, Organic Style, PC World, Prevention, PSM: 100% PS2, Reader's Digest Selecciones Spanish Edition, Rolling Stone, Sports Weekly, Time, Travel Holiday, and Wired.

I'm doin' it -- can't see using my 802 miles any other way, and don't plan to fly AA anytime soon.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Here are my "codes"
Allure ZRD
American Photo RP2
Bassmaster 7GN
Business 2.0 NHC
Business Week PSD
Computer Shopper 4YJ
Daily Variety ZPB
ESPN 6CN
Essence VYD
Fast Comapny BH4
Field & Stream MCC
Financial Times ZED
Food & Wine RQD
T&L Golf RLD
Golf Diges FY4
Golf Magazine MDC
Great Lakes Angler LS4
Harper's Bazaar LV6
HOUR Detroit Magazine NC9
Inc. 57N
Lakeland Boating LT4
Money NBC
Movieline GXD
Nat Geo Traveler NYD
Organic Style ZPD
PC World TA6
PSM 100% PU5
Reader's Digest (Spanish) KYD
This old house YDD
Travel Holiday BY4
Variety CY6
Wired 7Qf

Backpacker TBB
Bicycling SZB
Blender XSD
Elle Decor ZJD
Entertainment Weekly VVD
Flying ZKD
Fortune YAD
Home ZLD
Laptop ZNB
Modern Bride WE3
Ocen Navigator MUC
Scuba Diving SYD
Sports Illustrate XYD
Sports Weekly RED
Time XWD
Your Stepfamily RXD

Could you post the code for Atlantic?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:27 pm

I had signed on for USAir a couple of years ago, and had 500 miles sitting there for signing up. I just got the same deal in the mail--5 subscriptions, some being some very pricey magazines!

It makes me wonder (wheels turning as I type) if I shouldn't go ahead and register for one or two programs a year, take the 500 - 1000 miles for signing up, and wait for the magazine offers in a year or two...

JP
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I was asked via email to post the codes for the following magazines from the offer I got:

The Atlantic Monthly - RM6
Cigar Aficionado - 26P
Entrepeneur - 7ZM
Golf for Women - DF4
Health - WP3
Latina Magazine - LU8
MacWorld - 5VG
New york Observer - NPC
Prevention - 3DD
Rolling Stone - 8MN

Please note that some of the codes in sosafan's message are different than the ones I have -- i.e. Time for me is MSC, where for sosafan it was XWD. So I can't guarantee all codes will work for everyone.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:08 am

Instead of 5 different magazines for 1 year each, is there anyway to get one magazine for 5 years (or one for two and another for three)? You know what I mean.

Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

yashan
not on the offer as it was sent. You put the
5 codes (or less) into the boxes and they promise to deduct your remaining mileage.

Actually, a few of the offers are for two years: American Photo, Home, Flying, Organic Style, Elle Decor, Travel Holiday & Harper's Bazaar on my lists. Financial Times was for 6 months. The rest 12 months.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:32 pm

Has anyone redeemed through this ? I got an offer today to use up my 1009 Delta miles for 5 magazines. Are they targeting people with orphan miles ? Are there any catches ? It does seem like a good deal.

Some codes :
Backpacker TBB
Bassmaster 7GN
Bicycling SZB
BusinessWeek PTD
Cigar Aficionado 35S
Computer Shopper 4ZJ
Xbox Nation CME
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAFlyer:
Has anyone redeemed through this ? I got an offer today to use up my 1009 Delta miles for 5 magazines. Are they targeting people with orphan miles ? Are there any catches ? It does seem like a good deal.

Some codes :
Backpacker TBB
Bassmaster 7GN
Bicycling SZB
BusinessWeek PTD
Cigar Aficionado 35S
Computer Shopper 4ZJ
Xbox Nation CME
</font>

I concentrate my FF mileage with American. But about three weeks ago I got a magazine offer for my Northwest miles (about 5,000), that I long forgotten about. There were some good magazines, so I subscribed to some. Since I haven't flown Northwest in years, I figured if I didn't get the magazines, I would eventually lose the miles anyway.

Old Jun 13, 2003, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Got the Miles for Magazines offer (5 subscriptions) yesterday for my orphan CO miles (less than 1000). It seems like a great deal. Have any of the posters who subscribed had any problems? Is the "no cash cost and no credit card payment required" on the level? The flyer says to allow 4-10 weeks for subscriptions to start, so those who ordered in January should have gotten some magazines by now.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 9:41 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I did this offer a few months ago and received 5 magazine subscriptions for 500 US AIR miles. My wife did the same offer.

About a month later my USAIR account showed a -6,000 mile balance. My wife's showed a -2,800 balance. I was upset, but didn't bother calling them since I don't use that account.

This week our accounts show the negative balances are back to 0 miles. I guess it was some accounting issue with the magazine subscription service.

I also received the Continental offer, but with 2,500 miles in those accounts I didn't take up that offer.

It is nice to have 10 magazine subscriptions for 1,000 orphaned miles. Although I am sure I will start using the USAir account now that they have joined Star Alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.