Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AK or AA elite?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

AK or AA elite?

I've been AA Gold for a long time, but since I live in the Pacific Northwest, AK is the home airline here. So I've been thinking about switching this year to qualify for AK MVP (equivalent first level elite).

I know that with AA Gold, even when I fly coach they hold the center seat empty as long as they can for Gold cards. I can also upgrade more easily, although I have to plan carefully so I don't get bumped by Platinum and Exec Platinum members.. Is there something equivalent for MVPs? I don't see anything on the AK website.

Does anyone have any comments about which is better? I fly across country alot, but as it happens I have 3 trips planned between now and March on AK. Gotta decide soon.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by isisthecat47
I've been AA Gold for a long time, but since I live in the Pacific Northwest, AK is the home airline here. So I've been thinking about switching this year to qualify for AK MVP (equivalent first level elite).

I know that with AA Gold, even when I fly coach they hold the center seat empty as long as they can for Gold cards. I can also upgrade more easily, although I have to plan carefully so I don't get bumped by Platinum and Exec Platinum members.. Is there something equivalent for MVPs? I don't see anything on the AK website.

Does anyone have any comments about which is better? I fly across country alot, but as it happens I have 3 trips planned between now and March on AK. Gotta decide soon.

Thanks for any help.
Welcome to FT !

If your'e thinking of flying Alaska, now would be a good time to start referring to them as AS

Honestly, it really depends on where you fly. If you are looking for UGs on transcons (or even mid-cons) you probably stand a better chance with AA (near zero chance on AS, even as MVPG).

On AS, the front ~10 rows of coach are only assignable to elites until day of flight - but then it's open season.

I am a very loyal AS customer, and overall rate them well above AA, but unless you are flying up and down the coast (where the unlimited UGs are great), the AA elite Bennies are probably better.

OTOH, if what you care about is earning and using miles, then AS wins hands down (get the AS visa, and book everything as 1-ways, and you are looking at 5-10k miles earned per flight).
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

duh - AK is the state abbreviation...

Thanks for the information. As it turns out, these first 3 flights are to Mexico and 2 to CA, so that says AS. But I fly alot cross country, too.

Maybe I'll keep my AA Gold for another year. I've never had a problem with booking a reward flight. In fact, this past year I had to fly to Memphis (from SEA). The cost would have been over $500!! So I looked into Delta, United an AA, since I (thought I) had enough points on each for a coach class seat. Delta upped the points to 45,000 for a coach seat (I didn't have enough). Ditto with United. AA didn't have a coach seat, but did have a first class seat for 40,000 (maybe it was the opposite - 40k for DL, 45k for AA) - but it was a first class seat on AA!

I'll be flying to Africa in October - maybe I'll even qualify for platinum this year.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Where do you go when you fly across country? AS flies SEA to BOS, EWR, DCA, MCO, MIA, ORD, DEN, and DFW. It sure would be nice if they could pick up a gate at ATL. (I am sure they would like it too, but with the Delta partnership, that probably won't happen.)
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I know that with AA Gold, even when I fly coach they hold the center seat empty as long as they can for Gold cards.
Nope. This benefit has been gone for 2-3 years.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Punki
Where do you go when you fly across country? AS flies SEA to BOS, EWR, DCA, MCO, MIA, ORD, DEN, and DFW. It sure would be nice if they could pick up a gate at ATL. (I am sure they would like it too, but with the Delta partnership, that probably won't happen.)
Mostly NYC and Boston
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
Nope. This benefit has been gone for 2-3 years.
Really? I guess it just seems that way. :-(

I've been trying to compare the 2 programs - AA awards you 4 points towards upgrades every 10,000 miles. I don't see anything like that for MVP.

I don't really expect to make MVP Gold (AS) or Platinum (AA), so those are the levels I'm comparing.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: ac, as
there is always a tradeoff. I too live in Seattle but fly other places from the west coast. Just for simplicity I like putting Delta, Co, NW, and AA on AS as when I want to use the miles AS is so much easier to book reward seats. The 50% mileage benefit doesnt hurt, nor does the fast lane into security. Now with AS flying to Hawaii it makes it pretty easy, but yes you lose some benefits when flying other carriers.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Hmm. Things to think about.

Do you know this - when you book a flight and use 15,000 points to halve the cost of the trip, do you earn points at the same time?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
FWIW I like AS's mileage program a lot. The different partners makes awards options fairly flexible.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Hmm. Things to think about.

Do you know this - when you book a flight and use 15,000 points to halve the cost of the trip, do you earn points at the same time?
You don't earn "points" on the AS50 fare, but you do earn miles.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
I am in the same boat - recently moved to Seattle from Chicago. Currently, I am Platinum on AA through 2/09 (just requalified). I am thinking of going for MVPG on AS this year as most of my travel will be up and down the west coast and at least one trip each to Europe, Asia and Africa on business. Depending on how things shake out, I may try to do both AA and AS.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Depending on how things shake out, I may try to do both AA and AS.
That's what I do, Platinum on AA, MVPG on AS, all done by segments (150 total segments this year.) You get the best of both worlds. I was on track to making EXP on AA, but my flying slowed down considerably the last quarter of the year. If you're serious about doing both, it's not very difficult to add a SEA-PDX segment on most of your west coast flights to bump up your miles and segments.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I am in the same boat - recently moved to Seattle from Chicago. Currently, I am Platinum on AA through 2/09 (just requalified). I am thinking of going for MVPG on AS this year as most of my travel will be up and down the west coast and at least one trip each to Europe, Asia and Africa on business. Depending on how things shake out, I may try to do both AA and AS.
I suggest that you ask for a ststus match. AS matched my AA Plat status with MVPG a couple of years back. Full deatils in the Status Match Mater Thread.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidgmg
there is always a tradeoff. I too live in Seattle but fly other places from the west coast. Just for simplicity I like putting Delta, Co, NW, and AA on AS as when I want to use the miles AS is so much easier to book reward seats. The 50% mileage benefit doesnt hurt, nor does the fast lane into security. Now with AS flying to Hawaii it makes it pretty easy, but yes you lose some benefits when flying other carriers.
Just reviewing this thread. It's easier to book reward travel on AS than on AA?

BTW, any elite card gets you in the fast security lane at SEA airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.