Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ETRADE or Ameritrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
ETRADE or Ameritrade?

Hi all

I am thinking about opening an online account with one of these two websites. I would like to earn the maximum airline miles that I can (I know that also depends on how much I invest).

I am also wondering which one is easier, cheaper, better to use. Past experiences?

Thanks!

------------------
Delta GM, United Premier, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

[This message has been edited by SkyTeam777 (edited 11-05-2002).]
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I am also wondering which one is easier, cheaper, better to use. Past experiences?</font>

Ameritrade gives you little incentive to sign up.

But as an online broker, it is IMHO without a doubt easier, cheaper, and far more reliable, based on my experience with both over the past four years.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ameritrade got a much better review in a Wall Street Journal summary I read a few months ago. They did a chart of all the main online and a few other ones and it ended up being their best pick over all, all things considered. I may be able to find the article and either retype some of this in here or somehow send you a PDF or scan of it. BUT I do remember it being AMERITRADE. I have yet to do any of these. Do lots of research, take time and ask tons of questions, IMHO.

------------------
If speed is not your thing, distance may as well be. Enjoy and embrace it all!
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:52 am

Do both. Once you get the miles posted from the first broker, close the account and open one with the second. No reason to limit yourself.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Actually, you can get up to 25K DL miles from Ameritrade:
http://www.ameritrade.com/delta/

I had an etrade account about 2-3 years ago and closed it - I wasn't happy with the service and fees. I opened an Ameritrade account this spring and I'm happy so far.

You can get AA miles from Waterhouse. I've had accounts with them for years; the service is great but the ever-rising commissions are not.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have ET and I am not a big fan of it. I signed up back in the day when they gave cash bonuses. I find the fees and vigorish too high for a small-time trader, and sometimes they take their sweet time with my market orders.

Which one you pick will probably depend more on the frequency and type of trades you make, and not so much the miles offered. Some brokers will be thousands of dollars cheaper for you in the long run if you are an active trader; others will give you super-low commissions if you only make a couple of trades a month. Don't get locked into a bad brokerage for a couple hundred bucks worth of miles. The ones that don't offer miles usually have some other teaser, such as free trades, cash bonus, etc.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:35 pm

You can find cash bonuses for Ameritrade. I got $75 for opening my account last year after I got a promo in the mail. Search the web.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:46 pm

You can earn United miles if you open a ameritrade acct

Deposit $1000 ==&gt; 3000 bonus miles
Deposit $5000 ==&gt; 8000 bonus miles
Deposit $50000 ==&gt; 25000 bonus miles

I was an etrade customer 3 years ago, they were absolutely terrible. They are expensive and slowwwww!

I was told datek was better, so I switched, and they were 100x better than etrade. now datek is apart of ameritrade.

miles.HotDealz up-to-date directory of bonus mile offers

[This message has been edited by milehunter (edited 11-21-2002).]
Old Nov 6, 2002, 12:47 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
I like ETRADE the best but Ameritrade is good too and it is cheaper.

I haven't logged on to either one in months. It's depressing.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Ameritrade does not sweep to money market accounts, and has no electronic means to get your money. (You have to ask them to send you a check.) But they have very cheap trades, and everything works so far. I use them for secrities that do not earn dividends or interest.

You can get full info on all of tbe offers of both brokers, plus others, on my web site below. Click on Free Frequent Flyer Miles in the left menu, then on Financial Offers in the top menu.

------------------
The Personal Travel Experience of Gary Steiger - including how to get free frequent flyer miles on the web.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 1:18 pm

I like Ameritrade's system better, but Etrade has a bank linked to it which is a big advantage. Etrade is a little more costly but not significantly so.

I say Ameritrade and here's why. Customer service at A is good, and poor at E. Also, E gyped me out of 30,000 miles--I opened 2 new accounts and kept them open 6 months then they make up a rule (I already received a bonus for that account type) that was not disclosed earlier. Do a search here--there have been other people who have had problems with Etrade.

I still haven't gotten my points and will be contacting some regulators about it. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:15 pm

I transferred assets to brokerage accounts with Ameritrade and Waterhouse for 25,000 miles per account. Both quickly posted only half the miles and will post the balance in six months. This stipulation is to keep people from getting the miles and closing the account. I have not been bothered by reps
wanting to generate other business, which was a pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 2:22 pm

My experience with datek(now ameritrade) has been great. Their execution are really fast, and their website doesn't lockup like etrade's.

there is NOTHING I can think of that would justify etrade's high commission.

------------------
miles.HotDealz up-to-date directory of bonus mile offers

[This message has been edited by milehunter (edited 11-06-2002).]
Old Nov 7, 2002, 5:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by singlemalt:
Do both. Once you get the miles posted from the first broker, close the account and open one with the second. No reason to limit yourself.</font>
Both ETrade and Ameritrade have closing account fees (Etrade has a $50 closing account fee, I was charged, I am not sure how much Ameritrade charges). Scottrade has no fees. No bonuses either. Except referral, 3 trades free for both (just mention #EWBD590003 when you apply, $7 for market orders).
Old Nov 7, 2002, 8:01 am

Programs: lots
can someone post a place to get a $75 signup bonus for ameritrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.