Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has *anyone* ever boarded from the other side?

Old Feb 15, 1999, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Just curious -- I wonder if you could find anyone who has (as a passenger) ever boarded a commercial jet from the "wrong" side (i.e. right instead of left)? Is this standard across the world?
Old Feb 15, 1999, 12:32 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
It is standard practice to board from the left, and if you look at the doors on the right side of an aircraft, they're often smaller than the ones on the left side, so the planes are designed to be boarded/deboarded from the left.
Old Feb 15, 1999, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Once, in COS, we boarded a DC-10 from the right side. And yes, it was a UA DC-10 in Colorado Springs! We circled Denver for 2 hours waiting for a storm to pass, and had to divert to COS for fuel. Some passengers wanted off (their destination was COS) so the plane had to go to the terminal. Many (including me) got off to walk around, and re-boarded on the right. It was so unusual that I still remember it.
Old Feb 15, 1999, 7:52 pm

Never boarded from the other side but did "break on through to the other side" on occasion! Show me the miles, baby!
Old Feb 15, 1999, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
arturo always bored from rite side. rite side go thru gilley an arturo always git fuud there. sumtims arturo git drink ther too
Old Feb 15, 1999, 11:30 pm

There is one AA gate at JFK that has the jetbridge on the right so you use the door on the right side. That's the only place I've seen that. Interesting note: American long ago had its "entry door" on the right side of its planes.
Old Feb 16, 1999, 6:51 am
geo1004

Only once. 1989. In China on an Airbus out of Shanghai. Really odd. Walked out onto the tarmac from the terminal (and I use THAT term loosly) and followed the "guide" out and around a Russian copy of the 727 ( an IL-???) and onto an Airbus A-300. Boarded from both front and rear and on the wrong side. Really weird. Never again.

Old Feb 18, 1999, 8:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
On the same bent, the Russian IL-86 is boarded from the baggage compartment level; you then take a stairway up to the passenger cabin. Very useful for out-of-the way Russian airports, where jetways are non-existent.

The Russian "copy" of the 727 is known as the Tupolev TU-154. The Ilyushin IL-62 "copies" the long-retired British Vickers VC-10.

I use the term "copy" loosely since they share a resemblance to the above aircraft. They're not exact copies
Old Feb 19, 1999, 7:13 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
At JFK I've boarded through the right hand door that laxflyer has used on several transcon DC10 flights back in the 80's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.