Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is advanced knowledge of "insider information"on discount fares illegal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:34 am
Original Poster

My ex-XXXXXXXX works for XX (airline) and his/her dept is responsible for entering new discount fares into their system. If he/she tells someone just before those fares go on sale, will he/she get in trouble? (so they can snap up these cheap fares within minutes of being published in the public)

Is this the same as insider trading of stocks?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
It's not the same but it is similar. To answer your question ask yourself "if your ex's boss found out, would ex get in trouble?" The answer is most likely yes.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 10:50 am

I would suspect that the employer has a confidentiality policy which would cause the discloser of non-public information to be subject to disciplinary action. Not worth the risk.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 11:01 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Yes.... but would it be ok if the "ex" called you at 12:01 to tell you that the fare from ORD-MCO JUST went on sale for $55 ....
Old Sep 10, 2002, 11:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by absolutflying:
Is this the same as insider trading of stocks? </font>
The objective of the insider trading laws vs. the securities markets it to maintain the public's faith in the integrity of our securities markets (well, that's the theory at least).

I don't think that the air fare market faces the same issue because the price discovery mechanism is virtually opaque to consumers anway, and it's pretty much common knowledge that you could be sitting next to someone on a flight who paid either a fraction or a multiple of what you paid for an equivalent seat.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the employer had an internal confidentiality policy, which if violated could lead to disciplinary action, etc.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:25 pm

Can you put us on an e-mail list when you get this info?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SAN man:
Can you put us on an e-mail list when you get this info? </font>
Yes, that would be cool , but no one has mentioned the software most travel agencies (that have survived) employ. One of the first modules that was developed was a search engine that is constantly looking for just published fares.

Your friend isn't really spilling anything these search modules won't know about in an extremely quick fashion, and may even beat you to the punch buying up for their customers.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's definitely not illegal - unlike insider trading, there won't be any criminal penalties. The employee probably could get disciplined and/or terminated for this, if they somehow get caught.

I expect the airlines aren't as concerned about someone grabbing the cheap seats ahead of others as they would be about someone delaying purchase of a more expensive ticket, knowing the price is soon to drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.