Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Perhaps now is the time to try for the AMEX Centurion Card!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

At $1000 a yaer, it gets you mid-tier elite status on a handful of airlines. Hey, if you can swing it, it may be worth it to keep elite benefits if we can't do it by flying anymore!
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:28 am

Try $2,500 per year - AMEX increased it except for original holders several months ago.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
At $1000 a yaer</font>
Isn't it $2,500 a year now for new members?
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Isn't there a minimum spend on the card also?

The owner of our company has one, but this is probably out of my league.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:37 pm

Rumor is that you must already have an AMEX Gold or Platinum (not Optima) and spend $100,000 per year on the card for more than a year. Lots of effort for the priviledge of spending $2500 just for Elite status... 10 mileage runs may be cheaper and just as effective.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 08-29-2002).]
Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:50 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Got one 3 months ago. For the record, it cost $2500.00 a year and you need to charge $150,000 in a year to get the "invitation" from Amex Centurion.

I hope it is worth it. So far, the personal travel consultant and conceirge have been excellent in getting me upgrades and "hard to get" reservations at top restaurants and shows. This alone may be great value to some people.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If you can't afford to pay for non refundable airline tickets, you can't afford this card. if you have to ask Amex for it, you are unlikely to get one, since they know who they want to offer it to, and if it hasn't been you by now, forget it.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 2:11 pm
cxn

I would suggest you check the AMEX board as there are many posts about it there.

Just some facts, the cost did go up to 2.5k per year from 1k. You did get TWA/CO/DL/US status. But with TWA gone, US almost gone CO/DL co-share, what value does it bring to you if you just want it for flying?

Of course, SPG Plat is a nice perk. But then again, I earned mine

Christian
Old Aug 30, 2002, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
If you can't afford to pay for non refundable airline tickets, you can't afford this card. if you have to ask Amex for it, you are unlikely to get one, since they know who they want to offer it to, and if it hasn't been you by now, forget it.</font>

Patently untrue. Show $150,000 in activity in a 12 month period, have a Platinum card, have good credit. Once you've crossed the threshhold, call and make a Centurion application. If the program is accepting new members, one has a decent chance of being accepted. Being a longtime AMEX cardholder helps, having a good payment history helps. As far as generating the account activity... if one is inventive it's not too hard to do at little or no personal cost.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 9:55 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
I have had the card almost from the start and must say the the real benefit is customer service - they do a GREAT job of taking care of black card memebers
Old Aug 31, 2002, 11:10 pm

I had the card from the very beginning, and was generally unhappily unimpressed with the service, excepting an event in the Maldives.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 11:32 pm

$2,500. for a credit card? I doubt the benefits are as great as those I've gained reading FT.
Old Sep 1, 2002, 5:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
If you can't afford to pay for non refundable airline tickets, you can't afford this card. if you have to ask Amex for it, you are unlikely to get one, since they know who they want to offer it to, and if it hasn't been you by now, forget it.</font>
Translation:

I have one.
You don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.