Community
Wiki Posts
Search

closed threads and editing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2002, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

closed threads and editing

i am relatively new to flyertalk..curious..how come some threads..even some new ones get closed

how come some messages are edited and who can edit them

more curious than anything else

thanks
Old Aug 26, 2002, 6:14 pm
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Messages can be edited by the author of the post. I believe that only moderators can move or close a thread.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 6:24 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks for your support and contributions. Now about your question: easy answer.....threads are moved because the member did not post in the correct forum. For instance - this is MilesBuzz! which is described as having solely to do with frequent flyer miles and points. Recent threads moved from here included: "non-pc: terrorism is a gene ", "Airlinemeals.net - the world's first site dedicated to nothing but airline food", "spirit air giving free flights on sept 11 , "New Site Has Pictures Of Airline Food ", "airline meals site ". As you might guess, it was pretty easy to see that these threads should not have been posted in milesBuzz!. Also, you'll notice that three of them were about the same Web site involving food. There were others about this Web site already in TravelBuzz! - but members didn't seem to want to look to see if it was a topic already talked about. Rather than have 10 threads about the same topic, we may put away a few of them so members can foucs their comments into one common thread.

As for editing - we rarely edit ourselves, though members seem to edit quite frequently. It might come from a member doing a self spell check or changing their post once they discover additional information that causes them to change their thoughts about something or we may edit some words if a member choose to use FlyerTalk as a soapbox to inflame another member or to pass along comments not deemed appropriate about religion and politics - neither of which are the core value for which FlyerTalk was founded.

While we can't see everything, we try and assist members manage FlyerTalk on their own. Becoming familiar with the forum descriptions helps, and then on occasion we actually goof up in monitoring a post - so use FlyerTalk with an open mind and passion for travel and i think you'll enjoy it as much as most of the rest of us.

Again, welcome and hope this helps.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Closed threads are more likely "moved" threads, but it seems this particualr board does not have support for the "moved" thread like others do. Frequently, you have to hunt down the location of the new location. A bit of a pain if you ask me,

You can edit your posts. People in this group seem to like to do lots of post editing, even removing an entire post of some bit of information is a little wrong. A bit weird, IMHO. It makes it hard to follow a thread.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Yes moved threads, like this one should be!!!
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

thanks randy...appreciate your time..relax ranles...i am sure this thread is done...
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:57 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
Closed threads are more likely "moved" threads, but it seems this particualr board does not have support for the "moved" thread like others do. Frequently, you have to hunt down the location of the new location. A bit of a pain if you ask me.</font>
I understand the 'pain' - my guess it that it is similar to the 'pain' we have to move threads. Members really don't want to read about airline meal pictures for the upteenth dozen time in a forum designed for frequent flyer miles and points. Here's a little tip for hunting: 98% of all threads moved are from MilesBuzz! to TravelBuzz!. Next time you can't find it - it's probably there. Also, i'm more likely than other moderators to simply move the thread without a link. Moderator1 and Moderator2 have more manners and will post the link to with a lock to TravelBuzz! Sorry, but... i often make up for it by emailing the member and letting him know where and why it was moved. I used to also email those who had posted to the thread but that was pretty time consuming. Life on FlyerTalk isn't really all that bad - heck, I found an old Tarom post just the other day......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.