Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security hassles on the way out

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Security hassles on the way out

I was delighted to read about yesterday's TSA press conference in which director James Loy announced the TSA's plan to make travel "less onerous."

All I can say is "Hallelujah!"

They're thinking of getting rid of the idiot security questions... even El Al has stopped extesnive interviewing at Ben Gurion Airport. Besides, the respondent's behavior, not the answer to the questions, was considered to be more significant. Psychological analysis of every passenger is an awful lot to ask of skycaps and ticket agents!

The questions were also designed to identify naive passengers carrying explosive incendiary devices. The famous case--involving the girlfriend of a terrorist at Heathrow--has often been misinterpreted.

Coffee and food are no longer subject to on-site taste tests. (My sister was once asked to open a bottle of wine... she explained that she'd need a corskscrew, which would be forbidden.) And no more breast milk issues!

Above all, Director Loy underscored threat most passengers are not security threats, so efforts should be concentrated on passengers who raise eyebrows.

Some of the more visible frisking and searching pleases leisure travellers--still wary of flying. But I think most of us who are very frequent flyers recognize that these efforts offer only a false sense of security.

My hope is that some of the "randomness" will be taken away. Terrorism isn't random, so let's concentrate on finding patterns, risk factors, and so forth (can you tell I'm an epidemiologist.)

I've already sent a praise-filled email to the FAA; I'd encourage like-minded FlyerTalkers to do the same. The public comments email address is: [email protected]

Happy landings,
Mats.

Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
a very small step. i would like to see them put in a directive that you may collect your stuff from the machine and keep it with you while it is searched and/or you are being wanded.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Has anyone else noticed a BIG improvement in airport security personnel overall? The employees seem to be a totally different caliber of people. They seem much more intelligent and are much more courteous. The lines seem to be much shorter now as well. I guess the big question is whether or not we're any safer than before 9/11.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Unfortunately, I will believe it when I see it
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Neal,

To the first half of your question. Yes, but only when the checkpoint is staffed with TSA employees.

To the second half of your question, NO. We are no safer now than we were on 9/10. This is a monumental waste of taxpayer money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.