Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which frequent flyer programs exclude foreigners?

Old Mar 10, 07, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Alaska MVP75, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5Star, Avis First

I recently tried to sign up for Virgin Blue's Velocity Points program, only to learn that one can only join with a home address in Australia or New Zealand. This rule strikes me as completely asinine, and it makes wonder what other programs exclude foreigners from participation. I cannot think of any of the major program that do, given that I am a member of many such programs operated by airlines or hotel chains based outside of the US (where I live). I know some programs, like UA's mileage plus, have some different rewards for US versus non-US members; but anyone can join. Does anyone know of other programs with exclusionary rules like this?
Old Mar 10, 07, 1:39 pm

bmi diamond club membership is only open to residents in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Spain, India and Saudi Arabia.
Old Mar 10, 07, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by OSLflyer View Post
bmi diamond club membership is only open to residents in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Spain, India and Saudi Arabia.
the bmi threads here on flyertalk seem to indicate otherwise. (contrary to what is on bmi's website)
Old Mar 10, 07, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BD has always had an official policy of only allowing residents of the countries it serves to have memberships. This is of course has always been full of holes for two reasons, 1) All they have ever asked for is an address, and 2) It is my understanding that they have always allowed those from countries they have withdrawn from to continue their membership (and there are quite a few countries on that list).
Old Mar 10, 07, 7:32 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Amtrak Guest Rewards "Membership is open to all residents of the U.S. and Canada."

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/i...loc=TandC.html
Old Mar 11, 07, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
BD has always had an official policy of only allowing residents of the countries it serves to have memberships.
NOT TRUE! Per flybmi.com, membership is open only to residents of the UK, Ireland, Belgium, France, Netherlands and Spain.

BD still flies to Chicago and Las Vegas in the USA, but it does NOT officially allow US residents to join Diamond Club. It also flies to Antigua, Barbados, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Norway, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Switzerland. Residents of these countries are not officially eligible to join. So why does BD not allow residents of those countries to join?
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
in the US it seems rather easy to sign anyone up for anything provided you dont mind putting down, say, your own home address for some friend or relative you know in the FF sign up pages. Hey, for all the airline cares, you and them all own and operate a multi-family boarding house! This has also worked for me and friends who wanted to combine family account information with BA.

All and all, I have even used the same email address for at least 10 -15 people. It's all done with computers these days... so it can legitimately work, as long as you satisfy the requirements of the sign up process.

MM
Old Mar 13, 07, 3:38 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Bronze + other less precious metals
Garuda Indonesia's FFP was until very recently open to Indonesian residents only. I think now they opened it to Singapore as well, but it's definitely not global.
Old Mar 13, 07, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Hey, for all the airline cares, you and them all own and operate a multi-family boarding house!
You got one of them, too?

When my cat passed away, we had to take her out of the household account, but fortunately I have a brother with a good credit rating ....

Search this Thread