Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Easiest Platinum Flying Program

Old Feb 20, 07, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Which airline offers the easiest way to get into the top tier program? And how many miles, trip segements are needed to accomplish that? Your thoughts.

Meaning which one program will allow you to earn platinum status (Highest Tier) each and every year for the lowest amount of miles flow or flight segments. (need to take out fast track options)

Last edited by nikunjbhakta; Feb 20, 07 at 8:54 pm
Old Feb 20, 07, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I assume you want to rule out promos, right? What about high-yield fares? For example, with promos and high-yield fares, you could probably make 1K on United with as little as 30K actual flight miles.
Old Feb 21, 07, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
For the top tier of AS (MVPG), you can hit it with just 40k miles flown exclusively on Alaska or Horizon Airlines. If you earn miles from other carriers, it requires 50k miles.
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
I know you specifically asked about Top Tier, which on AA is Exec Plat, but their next highest tier, Platinum, is extremely easily obtained for for a year and a half (if you time it right) with the Platinum challenge. One coach ticket from, say, LAX-London after June 16 will do it.
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven View Post
I know you specifically asked about Top Tier, which on AA is Exec Plat, but their next highest tier, Platinum, is extremely easily obtained for for a year and a half (if you time it right) with the Platinum challenge. One coach ticket from, say, LAX-London after June 16 will do it.
The OP also asked about options that did not involve a fast track, which is what the AA challenges are.

Mike
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:16 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by dyung View Post
For the top tier of AS (MVPG), you can hit it with just 40k miles flown exclusively on Alaska or Horizon Airlines. If you earn miles from other carriers, it requires 50k miles.
And just 40k butt-in-seat miles earns one top-tier platinum status on Hawaiian Airlines.
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Originally Posted by nako View Post
The OP also asked about options that did not involve a fast track, which is what the AA challenges are.

Mike
You're right-- I didn't read the original post closely enough. Sorry, guys, I'm usually more careful before posting here. My bad, as they used to say...
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I assume you want to rule out promos, right? What about high-yield fares? For example, with promos and high-yield fares, you could probably make 1K on United with as little as 30K actual flight miles.
I am not familiar with united program hence this question, does united bonus or promotion miles count towards elite miles? on NW all bonuses or promos do not count towards elite status as far as i know.
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nikunjbhakta View Post
Which airline offers the easiest way to get into the top tier program? And how many miles, trip segements are needed to accomplish that? Your thoughts.

Meaning which one program will allow you to earn platinum status (Highest Tier) each and every year for the lowest amount of miles flow or flight segments. (need to take out fast track options)
Where are you based? What country/region is home base for your travels?
Do you tend to book paid premium cabin or discounted coach?

I'm guessing that you are talking about a top-tier status that is recognized throughout one of the major world alliances. In other words, Midwest Airlines "top tier" (there's just one published level) is 20k, but good luck getting into a lounge in Europe or Asia with that card.

Of carriers that are at least somewhat recognized throughout the U.S., Alaska's 50k top-tier is pretty good. Of the six legacies themselves, I think 75k EQM is the lowest top-tier: DL/NW/CO Plat - Skyteam Elite Plus.

AA, US, and UA are all 100k, although 50k on either UA/US puts you at Star Alliance Gold, which is the top alliance-wide tier.

Some airlines also have reliable (ongoing) ways to accelerate your EQM's. Use the airline's credit card to either buy tickets or reach a spending threshold, for example. I wouldn't bank my decision on promotions, but for at least the past 2-3 years, United has had opportunities to pay a one-time buy-in to a 2x EQM promo at the end of the year.
Old Feb 21, 07, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ziqch View Post
I am not familiar with united program hence this question, does united bonus or promotion miles count towards elite miles? on NW all bonuses or promos do not count towards elite status as far as i know.
UA - on occasion - runs specific EQM promotions. Normally, promo/bonus miles do not count towards EQM's.

I think this 30k figure is flying 30k paid F during the 2x EQM promo, on UA metal, paid with the UA Visa. Is that right, mahasamatman?
Old Feb 21, 07, 10:28 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Qantas Platinum (top tier) can be had from nothing for 1400 status credits (1200 to requalify). One well planned YUP on AA (eg BOS-HNL) can get over half the required SCs.
Old Feb 21, 07, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
One coach ticket from, say, LAX-London after June 16 will do it.
On a fare that earns 1EQP. Otherwise it won't be enough.
Old Feb 24, 07, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Avis First
If you can fly skyteam...

If you can fly SkyTeam airlines (NW, DL, CO) from where you live, you should definitely go for one of their programs - two reasons. 1) the qualification for Platinum is only 75,000 miles...one of the lowest levels out there and 2) the programs actually give good benefits - I have been upgraded from coach to first on every flight in the last two years with only a couple of exceptions on really busy days. With other programs, getting upgraded usually requires certificates.

That said, award availability on SkyTeam, especially NW and DL is very limited - but getting upgraded most of the time really makes up for it.
Old Feb 25, 07, 9:31 pm

how

im going in june, id love to keep my plt with just one trip in coach??

c
Old Feb 26, 07, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by chanp View Post
im going in june, id love to keep my plt with just one trip in coach??

c
You can't do a challenge when you already have the status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: