Wiki Posts
Search

Which elite program is better & why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Which elite program is better & why?

Having gotten a lot of great feedback on various programs, I'm having a hard time integrating the information to decide which carrier I ought to fly this year. I should be able to earn 27,000 eqm (at least) on UA, AA, CO, NW or DL. Which one should I pick, in your opinion, and why?

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up Kiwiflyer, I appreciate the feedback :-)

I tend to fly transcons between NYC/BOS and SJC/LAX. So pretty much all of the above serve those routes pretty extensively (with maybe AA and DL being a little more intense). I almost never buy full Y fares (I am one of those poor college students lol), and usually book through the airline's website whatever fare is lowest. As such, I never really hold out much hope for upgrades and the like, but I would love the dedicated check in line, elite security line (if offered, I know CO does it for silvers, golds and platinums, but others may only do it for their equivalent of gold and up), and priority boarding (as a college student, I wind up violating the carry-on rules a lot and bring a bookbag and a roller-bag, and usually need bin space for both, so early boarding would be a plus. I also strongly dislike having to argue with people who sat down in my pre-selected window seat and want me to switch to an aisle or middle (selfish, I know, and anal, but I feel airsick in the aisles and middles, but not at the window...). If an upgrade ever got thrown my way of course, that would be nice so any program that gives me an increased chance of those is great. But, like I said, since I tend not to book full fare tickets, I doubt many would come my way.

Last edited by owen61; Feb 7, 2007 at 7:02 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
That depends on lots of things. Where you fly being the single most important. No point joining up with a particular airline if nearly all the places you need to go are not well served by that airline or it's partners.

Other important factors are what type of fares you buy, what you want out of a program (status benefits or cheap awards or readily available upgrades or ...), etc.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
DL gives upgrades without charges or miles if they are available.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Only you can decide what's best for you. For me, UA is best because I like flying to Asia. YMMV
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
US Airways You don't even need to be a Dividend Miles member or set foot in one of their planes, apparently.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:18 pm

Some, including myself have credentials with multiple airlines but if your total milage is ~25000, I do not think that you will be confronted with a logical choice of multiple carrier memberships.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: delta gold, hilton gold
a few thoughts...

Originally Posted by owen61
I never really hold out much hope for upgrades and the like, but I would love the dedicated check in line, elite security line (if offered, I know CO does it for silvers, golds and platinums, but others may only do it for their equivalent of gold and up), and priority boarding
I am a new NW Silver and UA Premier 2k, and using this year to compare. So far, I'm enjoying NW silver quite a bit. If you keep expectations low about upgrades, you will sometimes be pleasantly surprised, especially if you are open to connecting flights. and even if you don't get upgraded, you can often get bulkhead seats and exit rows more easily as a Silver, which often offer more legroom than first. in fact, if there's no meal on the flight, i think those seats rule.

As for UA, I'm still waiting for them to send me the premier packet for 2007. They do have Economy Plus seats for elites, which IS nice, but you have to seek out upgrades

(as a college student, I wind up violating the carry-on rules a lot and bring a bookbag and a roller-bag, and usually need bin space for both, so early boarding would be a plus.

A bookbag and roller-bag isn't violating rules, (I don't think) although my understanding of carry-on etiquette is that if space is tight, only one should go overhead, the other in the seat in front of you. i wish the FAs could police that a little better, as I feel bad for the suckers who board last and have to check in their ONE carry-on.

I also strongly dislike having to argue with people who sat down in my pre-selected window seat and want me to switch to an aisle or middle (selfish, I know, and anal, but I feel airsick in the aisles and middles, but not at the window...).
I don't think it's selfish or rude at all. I'm amazed at how often people ask me to switch my seat. And it's almost always a middle seat they want me to take. unless they are offering me the exact type of seat, I politely decline. i'm 6'4", and like my aisle. I understand people wanting to sit together, and I guess it never hurts to ask, but you shouldn't feel bad about not switching, especially if you're gonna get stuck sitting somewhere less comfortable. even if you get elite status, there will always be people who ask you to switch in coach.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
CO ... Suggestion ...

Having gotten a lot of great feedback on various programs, I'm having a hard time integrating the information to decide which carrier I ought to fly this year. I should be able to earn 27,000 eqm (at least) on UA, AA, CO, NW or DL. Which one should I pick, in your opinion, and why?
I would go for COntinental - you can get decent seats on the non-stops out of Newark and if you win the lottery can get an upgrade. Plus you can earn bonus miles on their partners (including Northwest and Delta) and use the miles for free seats on any of those carriers. Plus tons of choices for free CO tickets out of Newark to almost anywhere.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by freakflyer
I would go for COntinental - you can get decent seats on the non-stops out of Newark and if you win the lottery can get an upgrade. Plus you can earn bonus miles on their partners (including Northwest and Delta) and use the miles for free seats on any of those carriers. Plus tons of choices for free CO tickets out of Newark to almost anywhere.
Freakflyer, what do you consider to be a "decent seat" on the 737?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.