Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dec 2006 Any double miles on income tax payment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA

Anybody know if there are any double miles currently on income tax payments. Usually there are promotions closer to tax time, but I'd like to pay an estimate now. Will only consider the convenience fee for double starpoints.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: Peon in all
The only "double mile" promo currently offered is for the UA MP Visa. Most others are usually just from 1/1 - 4/15, if not something like 3/1 - 4/15! But the MP Visa offered double miles for tax payments thru 12/31/06. (It may do the same next year - I hope!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Don't have that card. If I knew for sure that it would begin 1/1/06 on other cards I would wait rather than send a check.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
American Expess is running their double promotion on several cards, including the Starwood AE, check out

[URL="http://tax.americanexpress.com/taxes"]

Love those cheap miles.

Last edited by gejone; Jan 5, 2007 at 11:30 am Reason: Corrected link
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by gejone
American Expess is running their double promotion on several cards, including the Starwood AE, check out americanexpresss.com/taxes.
The only offers Amex has right now are for last year, not this year.

Also, there was a recent thread on this topic in this forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=double+taxes
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: united airlines
American Expess is running their double promotion on several cards, including the Starwood AE, check out americanexpresss.com/taxes.

Love those cheap miles.
Where did you see anything about a current AmEx double miles promotion with SPG AmEx or any of their other cards? What I see at that website looks like what is always available, the non-appealing option of using the CC and get 1 point for every 2.49 cents.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:21 am

AMEX still has the "double MR points on everything" offer Oct 1 - Dec 31. Dig around the AMEX forum.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by UserMark
AMEX still has the "double MR points on everything" offer Oct 1 - Dec 31. Dig around the AMEX forum.
Yes, I didn't mean to sweep all AmEx cards, just the SPG AmEx in particular. (I am getting "double MR points on everything" with my green AmEx right now.) But have they been giving double points on the SPG AmEx other than at tax time last year (April 15), when could get double miles up to a max of 10K for a 5K spend with the card to pay taxes through Official Payments? If so, I would like to hear about it, especially if any such SPG AmEx offer is currently in effect. (I am going to be making big tax payments with UA Platinum Visa today for the double miles that brings, and hope that those payments will get both my wife and me 5K of 2007 EQM each.)
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:12 pm

It appears the AE webmaster hasn't moved as fast as the marketing department. Within the last 4-5 days I received an email from AE advising of the double points for tax program for this year. When you go to the link,

http://tax.americanexpress.com/taxes

it does indicate the program is from 3/1/06-4/17/06. The dates will probably be updated in short order. I've done the program for last two years and it works like a charm.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
[QUOTE=gejone;6920080]It appears the AE webmaster hasn't moved as fast as the marketing department. Within the last 4-5 days I received an email from AE advising of the double points for tax program for this year. When you go to the link,

it does indicate the program is from 3/1/06-4/17/06. The dates will probably be updated in short order. I've done the program for last two years and it works like a charm.[/QUOTE

Will the new dates be March to April again? Have you ever received double miles for estimated taxes paid in Dec or Jan? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=Georgia Peach;6921051]
It appears the AE webmaster hasn't moved as fast as the marketing department. Within the last 4-5 days I received an email from AE advising of the double points for tax program for this year. When you go to the link,

it does indicate the program is from 3/1/06-4/17/06. The dates will probably be updated in short order. I've done the program for last two years and it works like a charm.[/QUOTE

Will the new dates be March to April again? Have you ever received double miles for estimated taxes paid in Dec or Jan? Thanks.
Yes, that would be my question(s) too - the offer will be out there for tax payments come 3/1/07-4/15/07, or it is out there now so that it might be used for 4th quarter estimates? (I called SPG AmEx today and was told no double miles offer for tax payments at present, so went ahead with big payment of 4th quarter state taxes using UA Visa to get the double miles with that card.) And what about caps on the offer, only up to $5K payment and 10K points with the SPG AmEx for tax payments or higher/no limits?

I didn't see anything helpful using that link yesterday, but will look there again to see if it has been updated in the meantime. (gejone, might you share that email you received with the rest of us?)
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:36 pm

Unfortunately I deleted the email so I can't share it here. There wasn't much information, just the basic double mile information and the link. If the program is like it has been, it's only good for the March/April timeframe. Since you are using the two tax payment agencies, you may be able to direct the payment to something other than the 2006 tax payment. If you have to do that, you will get a refund, or you can direct your refund to the 2007 ES.

Don't forget, if you're using Starwoods AE, you get a 25% bonus when converting 20,000 point to miles.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:47 am

Called Signature Visa and told that double miles for tax payments still here in 2007. Hurray!

Now, hope to hear that SPG AmEx will be offering double miles for tax payments again. Would really be great if they repeated the offer, this time without a cap, or alternatively with a much higher cap than last year.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:52 pm
ss

The United/Chase double miles offer has been extended through January.
Details here.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ss
The United/Chase double miles offer has been extended through January.
Details here.
Unfortunately the fine print on that offer seems to restrict the total reward to 2500 miles. Big time downgrade from what it was last year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.