UA and AA: the best for award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA and AA: the best for award availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PCMflyer
My list is as follows:

1) AA
2) WN
3) UA
4) DL
5) US
6) NW
7) CO*

*Limited experience.
In general, I agree with AA and UA near the top (no experience with WN). DL has been poor in my experience. US was good until the merger, now they are near the bottom and may be challenging CO for last. Here is my list:

1) AA
2) UA
3) NW
4) DL
5) US
6) CO
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, any comparison with WN is only apples-to-apples on U.S. routes. Since most people who are heavily involved in the legacy carriers consider many other types of awards much more valuable than the 25k domestic, it doesn't make sense to run with the WN comparison too far.

That said, everything I've heard is that WN redemptions are still reasonably fair - after the program change. I haven't earned any awards since the change so I don't really know. Domestic awards are kind of an afterthought to me, although I always liked having a WN segment or two lying around for a last-minute award.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I lump together DL, NW and CO (none of which I consider best for award availability).

I lump them together mostly because the regular award availability space (i.e., excluding the possible extra availability space given to elites) is mostly shared amongst those carriers.

UA & US/HP don't seem to mirror award space availability on the other partner airline as closely as DL, NW & CO do for one another.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mtparadis
Considering that DL & AA gave away the most seats last year, I think lots of folks have tried and succeeded in redemption on DL.
I was one of these, but this is misleading since I always have to use double miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.