Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase UA Mileage Plus Visa - NIGHTMARES ABROAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Chase UA Mileage Plus Visa - NIGHTMARES ABROAD

Wondering if I'm the only one this happens to, or if this card is just a pain in the ....

I've had it for around 10 years now, but am noticing this problem more and more recently. Each trip I take abroad I call Chase first to notify, so as to NOT have them block my charges.

For two trips now - they STILL block my charges, and it's always a fiasco to call collect (them) from abroad to re-instate. This past time, I managed to get a call through on a $4/min cell from Oman and they told me their system was down

I'm getting freakin' sick of this. Anyone else have these problems? Suggestions on what to do? Should I just can the card - it's getting to be a pain. Any suggestions on good cards for travel abroad (where they won't decline my ....)

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:21 pm

I've had this problem too but have given up on using it abroad as they rip you off with their 3% charge. I use Commerce Bank card now which doesn't charge you a fee but on the other hand, no miles either.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:43 am

I was just in Italy and was able to use my Chase United card for a charge after Citi denied my AA card. We were clothes shopping because, ironically, United lost my partner's luggage. Interestingly, the charge was not more than I've charged on my Citi card but was definitely a lot more than I've put on my United card in the past.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ejross
I've had this problem too but have given up on using it abroad as they rip you off with their 3% charge. I use Commerce Bank card now which doesn't charge you a fee but on the other hand, no miles either.
My experience exactly: I gave up carrying the MP Visa after having the card rejected in Japan at a Vodaphone cell phone rental counter and later at the Sony Store in Tokyo. That experience, coupled with the extra 2% that Chase charges, encourages me to leave the card at home when I travel abroad. Instead I take my USAA Mastercard and have had no problems (yet).

So I recommend getting a different card for foreign travel, one that charges no additional markup on foreign transactions. You might not get any miles, but you'll save the extra 2%, which more than makes up for that, IMHO.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
It's not just abroad. They have shut our account down 3 times in the past 8 or 9 months because something we did "set off their computer." It was never anything really unusual. Last time it was just a $500 purchase at Circuit City. They said we don't usually shop there and electronics stores are among the most frequent places for stolen cards to be used. The new Diners Club Mastercard has been doing the same thing.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Ok - so does anyone have suggestions for a good card to have when travelling that DOESN'T have this happen to it all the time?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:21 pm

It never happens to me abroad on any card I use.

And, a $4000 charge at an electronics store on the UA VISA went through in miliseconds.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ejross
Agree- I would never use a Chase UA card overseas except in an emergency due to the ripoff "forex fee." Ditto for Citi AA cards. 3%

For better options see the thread in the forum and the Wiki on Credit Cards and ATM card use overseas - and then get a Capital One card. I have used mine many times since 1999 and never had a "decline" issue overseas. Of course I generally call them with my dates and itinerary beforehand to avoid any problems.

Ironically I had a charge declined when they sent me a new card, and was told by a "manager" that it is CapOne anti-fraud practice to decline the 2nd charge on a new or reissued card in order to get the cardholder on the phone. So if you get a CapOne card you should use it a few times before relying on it.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
FYI: It's 3% for Chase, not 2%

Originally Posted by mikew99
My experience exactly..That experience, coupled with the extra 2% that Chase charges, encourages me to leave the card at home when I travel abroad...

So I recommend getting a different card for foreign travel, one that charges no additional markup on foreign transactions. You might not get any miles, but you'll save the extra 2%,...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lin821
FYI: It's 3% for Chase, not 2%
I meant that Visa charges 1% for the foreign transaction and that Chase adds on the extra 2%, for a total of 3%, so if that's true then we're saying the same thing.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:30 pm

I've recently had problems using two different chase cards at various times in the u.s.. They work at certain times during the day, not at others.

But like the others, i broke down and got a capital one card for overseas. got tired of the 3% charge
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:42 pm

I have never had a problem overseas with either Citi or my credit union card.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I used to have this problem. But, once I talked to them about it, there have been no repeats. Chase's Fraud Dept. does call me from time to time to verify that certain charges are legitimate - which I appreciate.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Yep. Citi issued cards seem to work better outside of the US than Chase issued ones, although I try avoid using both due to the FX coversion fees that are way too high.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
With my Citibank MasterCard, I have had Citibank call me a few times to verify transactions after the fact. I don't mind that at all, and in fact it gives me a good feeling that they're vigilant about fraud. They have never blocked a transaction with the card when traveling internationally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.