Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost Per Mile Web Tool?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Cost Per Mile Web Tool?

A lot of times, I'll search for airfares, regardless of destination. Since I'm willing to travel anywhere and explore any/all cultures, I'd like to know if there is a web tool out there that calculates the best airfare deals based on Cost Per Mile.

I basically just like going to far away places, as long as I know that the fare I got is a really good deal (ex. IAD-MIA-IAD may be $200 and a pretty good deal, but maybe IAD-NRT-IAD costs $620, and that's an even better deal. Sure, it's more money, but it's a cheaper cost-per-mile).

See where I am getting at? I don't care where I go, I just care if I can get somewhere far away, and it's a really good price to do so.

Any help is appreciated. I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:33 pm

Dreammaps

It is not as focused on cost per mile, but this tool will show you how far you can get with xxx dollars.

http://dps1.travelocity.com/dreamMap.ctl
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:01 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually FlyerTalk/WebFlyer will be unveiling such a tool in the next few weeks. We completed a call with a source supplier just Monday and now are busy formatting the window for which the data will appear. That and we're trying to come up with a few clever names to call it so in the future most everyone will know what it is. The toll will concentrate on two levels of data - miles for EQMs, ie tell us how many miles you need and we'll sort out only those routes that will work along with the fare broken down by actual flight miles of the airline itself and a true mileage run tool that simply breaks down fares by cents per mile from particular cities.

anyway, hold on for a little while longer and you'll find something you can use that will be built-in to FlyerTalk, always much easier for us all.

As well the tool will be featured on WebFlyer and likely InsideFlyer as well.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:14 pm

Dreammaps ???

Until Randy et.al. get their tool running, you might try this ^
Old Oct 4, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Randy,
Can't wait for the tools. Hurry up please
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:11 am

Fare Compare alternative?

Fare Compare shows many fares that are no longer available or sold out, so the information it spits out is fairly useless... In the 5 years since this thread was last used, has there been any alternative to Fare Compare to get realistic results... that is to only show fares that can actually be booked?
Even Travelocity's results are awful, showing US Airways fares that are never actually available... Anyone... please help...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Although it's still in beta and has a far amount of idiosyncrasies going on, http://www.mileagebrain.com seems like a good fit for you since you don't care about destination...
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:31 am

Thanks... looks like it has possibilities down the line, but still does not give realistic results... IAH-LHR comes up at $551, but when you link to Expedia, the actual fare is $737
This is the same problem that FareCompare has... anyone know why there isn't at least one seat available at the lower price? Any other options?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Although it's still in beta and has a far amount of idiosyncrasies going on, http://www.mileagebrain.com seems like a good fit for you since you don't care about destination...
Thanks sbbutler, that's great!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Clt doesnt work what does?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by cw082350
Clt doesnt work what does?
LAX works.

I also tried CLT, no go. But CLT does list as a destination from LAX.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Thanks for the heads-up on mileagebrain. I was playing with it to see what kinds of results it came up with. I'm am not too far in, but I can tell you that it does not use any segment elite minimums. In other words, if you are an elite getting a 500 mile minimum per segment, the site will run it's math on the actual miles for the segment. I would think that most MR'ers are elites trying to maintain or improve status, so this makes a difference.

It could still be a valuable tool, just keep in mind that the cents/mile calculation will be off a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.