Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flight attendents make it impossible to sleep on international overnight flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendents make it impossible to sleep on international overnight flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2002, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Ever noticed the number of times a flight attendent walks down the aile on an overnight international flight. I was in an aile seat (no windows available) and counted well over 100 times a flight attendent brushed past me on a flight from Tokyo to Chicago. Also there was 14 different announcements over the PA system. Just when it was starting to get quiet they started to harrass people about duty free. Why can't they just let us sleep. I was forced to wake up at 4 am.

TO MUCH SERVICE!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 6:47 am

I know what you mean. Try ANA - you will like the difference!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You are so right! I gave up ordering special meals as they insisted on waking me up an hour before anyone else. Finally I pushed a very fine 'delux' eye shade and ear plugs kit from Magellan--a huge improvement. Also the neck pillow that buttons in the front to keep your next happy.

Do I look serious?
Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a lot of flight attendants who woke me up and ask: "do you want to eat or sleep?"

[Edited to correct smilies]

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 01-27-2002).]
Old Jan 27, 2002, 9:10 am

My rules for sleeping on intl coach flight

1) Fasten seat belt outside blanket.
2) Inflatable neck pillow and earplugs
3) Cardboard sign tied around my neck saying "Please do not disturb"
Old Jan 27, 2002, 9:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
3) Cardboard sign tied around my neck saying "Please do not disturb" [/B]</font>
Old Jan 27, 2002, 9:54 am

At least the last time I flew DL from ATL-LGW (last September) the amenity kit included a "Do not disturb" sticker. I was on a regular run and needed sleep to be ready to work, and I just put the sticker on my shoulder and asked the lead FA to bring my meal early, and wake me for breakfast. I was always left alone, even in an aisle seat.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 10:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I was in an aile seat (no windows available)</font>
That for sure is a bummer. I have large shoulders and it would not matter if it was a pax or an attendant they always would bump me going by.
Anyway I find that what works best for me, and it may not work for you, is that when I am tired I go to sleep. If I am not tired I do not go to sleep. If I do not go to sleep eventually I will get tired and go to sleep and you can bump me all you want and I will continue sleeping - ask my wife.
The second thing I do is never ever complain or get mad or blame others about my inability to sleep, see above.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 10:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LordMitford:
Cardboard sign tied around my neck saying "Please do not disturb" </font>
: :

But jokes aside, I once had an awesome experience on a transcon AA from LAX to JFK which made me a loyal AA customer. An FA on an overnight flight was going around the J cabin picking up books and magazines that pax had dropped when they fell asleep and covering them gently with slipped off blankets. It made me feel so warm inside since she was pretty sure that everyone was unaware what she was doing for them. Small things like this can make a significant impact. Thanks to this FA AA won a loyal customer.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
My last flight from ATL-LGW, I sat in the back of a 777 on DL. The seat I was in (don't remember the number) was on the starboard aisle side just ahead of the crew rest seats. On the DL 777's, this seat is right at a little jog in the aisle a few rows in front of the galley. With my size 50 shoulders, I was like a guard rail for the FA's all night long. Of course, that was also the flight that the college kids kept flashing their digital cameras all night long....
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:47 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magic111:
...I will get tired and go to sleep and you can bump me all you want and I will continue sleeping - ask my wife...
</font>

okay, will definitely ask Jerrie in Dus next week

and I especially like the 'Do-not-disturb'-sign-hanging-around-the-neck idea, a neon green/yellow one that glows in the dark with FT logo on it!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by belle3388:

and I especially like the 'Do-not-disturb'-sign-hanging-around-the-neck idea, a neon green/yellow one that glows in the dark with FT logo on it!
</font>
Hey, great idea, belle. Hope to see it soon in the FT Store!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
On Air Canada they won't bother you at all.....after about 7-8 hours they turn on the cabin lights and announce breakfast about 1 hour before landing...but they also announce that if you wish to continue sleeping DO NOT put down your tray table and you will no tbe disturbed until landing.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:14 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I kept my eyeshade from CX and wrote "Do not Disturb" on it with a Sharpie Marker. i use it everytime I fly Intl and it works great!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 3:03 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
One of the things that makes a big difference with sleep on international flights is the timing of the second meal service.

Most of my international flying is on United, and I notice they never begin the pre-arrival meal service until 1:20 before arrival, in both C and Y. On other carriers it is normally 2:00 before arrival. This gives me an extra :40 of sleep, which is much appreciated.

I agree the timing of duty free, after the first meal service, is extremely annoying. They should do the duty free service between the first drink service and first meal service, or just get rid of it altogether.

We can't do much about aisle traffic, whether it be F/As or passengers. People have to get up and move. I find myself routinely bumping into people who have their feet and elbows protruding into the aisle. It can often be a real challenge to walk through the aisle during the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.