Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Eagle or Midway????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2002, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

AA Eagle or Midway????

Just taking an informal poll - how many people would be willing to fly on Midway from RDU to MCO/TPA/FLL/LGA/DCA/BOS over AA Eagle? Benefits to flying on Midway - low fares, Boeing 737 jets, nonstop flights. Disadvantages, No formal upgrade program, no mileage affiliation with any other airline, just coming out of a bankruptcy filing from which they only emerged with the help of the U.S. government bailout money, only 1-3 nonstops each day to any destination.

Benefits to flying on AA Eagle - AAdvantage miles, multiple nonstops to most destinations. Disadvantages - small RJ's, no first class cabin, sometimes higher fares.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Old Jan 27, 2002, 4:39 pm

Personally, I would not fly JI, but I hope that everyone else does

The airfares at RDU have become so deflated that I have booked some end-on-end tickets thru there as a "work-around" to eliminate minimum stay requirements.

Live Long and Prosper JI!!!
Old Jan 27, 2002, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'd book JI as much as possible.... I'm sick of the majors trampling all over the lil guys... let Midway live....
Old Jan 27, 2002, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

I realize that Nate - but do you think any of your former high profile customers would elect to fly JI over AA, given the choice?
Old Jan 27, 2002, 10:15 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
One would have to be a complete idiot to elect American Eagle LGA-RDU. Some people are so addicted to miles they might as well take up smoking crack. It's not funny, it's downright sad.

Anyway, I'm outside around 7:30 or 8:00 weekday mornings, and I was so glad to see a 737 overhead, headed for LGA runway 31 with yellow painted engines and a yellow tail with an "M" on it.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
One would have to be a complete idiot to elect American Eagle LGA-RDU. Some people are so addicted to miles they might as well take up smoking crack. It's not funny, it's downright sad.
</font>
I guess I must rank among the idiots then. Seriously, I've flown JI several times and found them to be a complete joke: 1) gates in remote terminals, 2) borrowed check-in agents from other airlines (AA, DL, CO, you name it) who neither cared about nor understood the needs of JI customers, 3) exagerated claims about their award-winning services, and 4) a hub operation in RDU that was more akin to a depressed 70s shopping mall than anything else.

Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
One would have to be a complete idiot to elect American Eagle LGA-RDU. Some people are so addicted to miles they might as well take up smoking crack. It's not funny, it's downright sad.</font>
thankfully I don't need to choose b/t JI or AAeagle... EWR/RDU on CO is about $100 r/t 7-day advance, 1-day stay...
Old Jan 28, 2002, 12:10 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Midway part 2 1/2 was certainly wonderful up front... in the back they were "OK".

As addicted to miles as I am, I would NOT fly RDU-LGA on AA nonstop.. I'd do RDU-ORD-LGA, thank you very much! :P :P :P

((spoken from a true mileage who@#))

-nate
Old Jan 28, 2002, 4:51 am

Given the choice of an American Eagle ERJ or a Midway 737, I would take the 737 even without the AA miles. On my 2 flights flown on JI since their return it seems the FAs on both flights were actually happy to be back serving the pax. I wish JI well in its comeback and hope the extra competition keeps AA fares lower too for those who fly AA eagle instead on competing east coast routes.
Besides Midway, the other airline keeping RDU fares low is Southwest, which seems to be doing quite well there with load factors and adding of additional cities.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 6:22 am

I'd be more inclined to fly Midway if they re-upped with American Airlines' AAdvantage program.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 6:31 am

0524: They cannot reup. It was the AA Pilot's contract that forced Midway from the AAdvantage program. It was not Midway's choice.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moondog:
and 4) a hub operation in RDU that was more akin to a depressed 70s shopping mall than anything else.
</font>
moon, as an RDU'er I have to agree about that here. Terminal C looks like it's straight out of a time warp 80's AA hub. Wait a minute, that's exactly what it is. We have AA to thank for this, as they controlled the whole thing and would not spend a dime to fix it up. The RDU airport authority couldn't do anything about it until about a week ago when they finally reached an agreement to take over control from AA. Finally we'll see much needed improvements and renovations as well as a 10-20 gate expansion on the south end I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.