Wiki Posts
Search

I think I am making this too complicated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
I think I am making this too complicated

I just realized that Delta is part of the Sky Team network...I usually fly United so I had no idea...So I just wanted to confirm that if I am flying Delta I can use my NWA World Perks number and earn miles on NWA as opposed to Delta...Also, I had several family members recently fly Delta from SVO to ORD and I am going to create accounts for them and then transfer those miles to my own account, but I would much rather have then in an NWA account than a Delta account so would I be able to create NWA accounts for them and get those accounts credited for their flights on Delta? I am sorry if I made that way to complicated and I hope that you can follow that. Also, my preference is for NWA over Delta, but my ultimate use for these miles are to buy international tickets in economy or buy upgrades on international flights and as I stated my preference is NWA over Delta...given those circumstances would you all out there agree with NWA over Delta or is it your opinion that Delta would be better than NWA on international flights...I wasn't sure if this should go on Delta or NWA's thread so I put it here, but if the moderator feels the need to move it I understand...Thank you in advance for all of input...I am greatful for all input.

David
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:42 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
if it was between delta and nwa, i'd pick nwa.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:45 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
1. Yes, you can earn Northwest miles on Delta flights.

2. People generally cannot create accounts to capture miles after the fact. If these folks already took their flights and didn't have accounts to capture the miles, the chances are very good that they (and you) are out of luck trying to get retroactive credit at this point.

3. Miles transfers are a costly and inefficient way to collect miles. You need to really look at it to see if it makes sense. I've never thought so, but I could see a limited application if it was a way to pick up enough miles at a specific point in time to reach an award level that you intend to redeem in the near term, I suppose.

4. Personally, I fly Northwest internationally and I have no problem with it. You have to make that call for yourself.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:18 pm

Some programs will have a 30 day or so grace period where you can earn miles for trips before you sign up. This is to capture people who decide to sign up while flying.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:08 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Originally Posted by alanh
Some programs will have a 30 day or so grace period where you can earn miles for trips before you sign up. This is to capture people who decide to sign up while flying.

The WorldPerks general program T&C specifically state:

"Retroactive credit will not be given for flights taken prior to enrollment."

Delta Skymiles has a 30-day rule, as alanh indicated might be a possibility:

"Upon request at the time of enrollment, mileage credit will also be awarded for travel flown up to 30 days prior to enrollment."

So it appears that you could capture Skymiles from those flights if they are still within the 30-day window. I'm not aware of a way to convert them to Northwest miles; only Northwest awards if you had enough of them. (That doesn't mean it can't be done; I'm just not familiar with any provision for it.)

Last edited by Standby4321; Jul 23, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.