Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any reasonable "Day Rates" at hotels near LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2002, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I will have about 12 hours to waste in between a domestic and international flight in the next month or so, and I would rather spend it taking a nap, working out and showering than sitting at the airline lounge for the duration. I have checked with Starwood, and both of their properties (Sheraton Gateway, Westin LAX) are giving me Day Rates of $99 for the time period of 10:00a to 6:00p.

Does anyone know of a property nearby (read: hotel shuttle bus distance) that has more reasonable rates for the "day"?

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 7:01 pm

Try the Hilton Garden Inn at LAX, I have stayed at that hotel on some days for as low as $62.00. Used AAA rate but they have never checked. You get miles and HHonors points. Double miles promo right now. Just as nice as Sheraton Gateway, you must call hotel for free pickup but they are very prompt.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 7:10 pm

dsimon, check this link for LAX rooms:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...areadisneyland
Old Jan 11, 2002, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the early replies.

I just got off the phone with Hilton, and the lowest rate of the two area airport hotels was $89 (Hilton LAX), and their day rate is only from 9:00a to 5:00p. I was hoping for something until about 7:00p, but I suppose that I would then be stretching the "day" rate.

I will check out the link.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 9:39 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
If I were you I would book a room for one night, arrival on your check-in day. That way you can stay in the room as late as you want. Early check-in will not be a problem, because many guests at airport hotels depart on early morning flights.

Priceline as already mentioned is a good source for cheap rooms.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 4:22 am

Use Priceline for your hotels in the LA Airport area. We got the Westin for about $35.00.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 6:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tenacious:
dsimon, check this link for LAX rooms:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...areadisneyland
</font>

I agree this is the best source. This site will give you all of the info for a room at LAX. It talks about bidding statagies to make sure you get the BEST price from priceline. If you don't go here first, and also check www.hotwire.com, it is like buying a car without knowing what the dealer paid. You will overpay.

Old Jan 12, 2002, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Through Priceline, I got the Sheraton Gateway for $28.00/nt twice in the next three weeks.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 6:14 pm
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Ditto to last post. Stayed there last week on more or less the short period PL layover idea the thread starter is looking for. Do this all the time with PL bookings.

BEWARE however, that the PL and Hotel rules clearly state "early check-out incurs a penalty". Not sure if this is often invoked, but beware all the same. We just checked in at 10 am, (and got a lovely upgrade due to Gold Starwood card) and at 7 pm when checking out for evening flight to SYD quizzically were asked "what did we do wrong - you only just checked in."

Mumbled something about getting an earlier flight than we hoped for, but be careful not to volunteer "Oh I really only wanted to sleep here for a few hours" or they MAY zing you the date rate or a panalty for early check-out.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the good advice.

My only concern with using a site like Hotwire or Priceline is that they do not allow one to book same day rates, and that they would throw the early check-out penalty at me. I guess I could get around it though because more often than not, I check-out by television or simply drop the key in a box and forego the registration desk, so they really do not know when I check out anyway.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions.
Old Jan 12, 2002, 11:51 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Get real, guys.

There is NO early checkout penalty. It's just you don't get any money back if you check out early.

If there were such a penalty, then don't "check out" and they'll never know that you left earlier than scheduled!

Rental cars are a different animal, though, and you could be in trouble if you don't satisfy a Saturday stayover.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 8:20 am

Programs: NZ *G
I just used Priceline for a 7 hour layover my fiancee had at LAX, and got the Sheraton Gateway for about $40 including taxes.

The hotel key card repeats the Priceline comment about early checkout incurring a fee. My fiancee panicked and called Reception - they confirmed that it does not mean early in the day but instead means early during a multi-night stay - ie that if you book 4 nights but check out after 2 you can't expect a 2 night refund. Which all seems fair enough to me.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA gold UA MM
I got the Holiday Inn at LAX for $40 as a day rate on arrival last March. Not the greatest hotle, but after a 12hr flight from SYD and before another 12 hr flight to LHR a bed was all that was needed
Old Jan 13, 2002, 4:49 pm

Everytime I rent a car from Hertz at LAX, the bus drives past a Super 8 offering low rates. The Super 8 is next to Hertz (across the smaller street)
Old Jan 13, 2002, 5:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cy-gone:
Try the Hilton Garden Inn at LAX, I have stayed at that hotel on some days for as low as $62.00. Used AAA rate but they have never checked. You get miles and HHonors points. Double miles promo right now. Just as nice as Sheraton Gateway, you must call hotel for free pickup but they are very prompt.</font>
The Hilton Garden Inn LAX/El Segundo is my 2nd favorite LAX hotel---it is MUCH nicer than the Sheraton Gateway--plus I used to stay there all of the time for $60-$70 bucks AND they have free parking. Unfortunately, everyone else must of found out what a great little tucked away new hotel they were because I cant get them for under $100 bucks any more---often I find prices aroun $140.

Anyhow, did P-line for my last LAX stay and got the Sheraton gateway. 35 bucks + $20+ for taxes/fees and parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.