a new goldpoints idea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a new goldpoints idea

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
PG: Sorry, I'm still not following. I'm not a member, either. This is by choice. So what do you want when you say "Please post it here"?
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:19 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
PG: Sorry, I'm still not following. I'm not a member, either. This is by choice. So what do you want when you say "Please post it here"?</font>
Sorry I meant post the loophole here (as opposed to posting the loophole on the "List").
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:28 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Just so people stop asking, his idea was buying one "points" earning gift cert and then using that cert in a seemingly endless loop to buy another cert, and using that cert to buy another cert.. blah blah a looping loophole.

Like using one credit card to pay off the other and keep switching them back and forth.

They don't like that very much.

Flip
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
i think i figured out the loophole (it was obvious to me right away) am i not allowed to say what i think it is. after all, it is not illegal.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:31 pm

that's not the loophole i thought of.

Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I saw the "loophole." No ifs ands, or buts about it, it was fraudulent. It should be neither posted nor discussed here. For that matter, I would hope that FTers as a community would not stoop to such a level even through private e-mail lists.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 3:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
I saw the "loophole." No ifs ands, or buts about it, it was fraudulent. It should be neither posted nor discussed here. For that matter, I would hope that FTers as a community would not stoop to such a level even through private e-mail lists.</font>
did that loophole have anything to do with the cancellation policy at valuemags?

Old Dec 23, 2001, 3:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Just so people stop asking, his idea was buying one "points" earning gift cert and then using that cert in a seemingly endless loop to buy another cert, and using that cert to buy another cert.. blah blah a looping loophole.
Flip
</font>
And just to further clarify, it probably can't be done. Merchants are not going to give any kind of points for a purchase with a gift certificate.

For example, during the AA 20/20 promo I bought a Hickory Farms gc for $10 then used it to buy a $20 gc for another family member. The second family member only got miles/points for the extra $10 spent - not the entire $20. In my case, I was not trying to defraud the merchant. I was merely accumulating partners for separate AA accounts. The last person used the larger cert for a purchase.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
did that loophole have anything to do with the cancellation policy at valuemags?

</font>
No, although that one would be fraudulent as well.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

hello all

well, it seems like we've gone from any good discussion to this nonsense about "the list".

flipside has the loophole correct. i'm not going to comment further on the details. i hope the information provided by flipside has satisfied your need to know how the loophole worked.

i await further discussion
Old Dec 23, 2001, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">well, it seems like we've gone from any good discussion to this nonsense about "the list".</font>
Sorry, fireflyreaction but any reference to "The List" is not nonsense. "The List" discussion started in May 2001 and attracted enough interest to run for nine pages. It, too, was a "good" discussion, because it allowed members of this community to voice their opinions on the type of deals you are currently discussing and how they affect FlyerTalk.

Have you read that thread (maybe not, it ran before you joined FlyerTalk)? If not, I suggest you do so before you dismiss it as "nonsense". Trying to contribute to a community is admirable; understanding the community is essential.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

i'm sorry - i wasn't clear.

nonsense in that "the list" is a non sequitor.

wasn't meant to be insulting at all...
Old Dec 23, 2001, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

[DENSE]

wait wait wait...i get it now...i see how using "the list" can be part of this discussion (i.e., how it relates to whether or not unethical items can be discussed on FT).

sincere apologies.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
It's a funny thing about flyertalkers...

We look out for #1. In some cases #1 is us.
In some cases #1 is the other guy.

We're a strange bunch!

For additional commentary, GO READ THAT THREAD.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 6:23 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I am still lost as to why this gc for gc is so morally problematic while other members of this board are sending money for miles to their spousess on c2it? No one addressed that in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.