Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming miles to rent a car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Redeeming miles to rent a car

Which programs will allow me to use my points for car rental? I have points in NW. Delta, USAir but cannot seem to find any on their sites.

Can I do it with another airline via Star Aliance?
Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:14 am
Suspended

Did you check if it’s worth using points that way?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:46 am

Amex Membership Rewards can be used for cars, but at the poor redemption rate of 1 point = 1¢.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Ventimiglia
The thing is I will never get enough points on any of these except USAirways to fly in the future so I was hoping this was one to use up what I had.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, PC Ammbassador
I would save the points. Car rentals are so cheap. Over time they do add up.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, USAir, CO, SAS, AmexMR Plat, Starwood
star alliance/car rental

Originally Posted by citylover
Which programs will allow me to use my points for car rental? I have points in NW. Delta, USAir but cannot seem to find any on their sites.

Can I do it with another airline via Star Aliance?
Thanks
I redeemed miles that would have expired from Star Alliance's SAS: 20,000 for a weekend, 3-day rental in Europe. Not great but better than letting them go...certain airlines within star alliance have started offering awards such as upgrades across the alliance; unfortunately, SAS isn't following suit until later in 2006. Don't know about car rentals, tho. Have you searched 'car rental' on those sites?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:27 pm

Before you try using points (or if you find you can't use your points the way you want), try priceline...one can get some really cheap car rentals there.

I would second the suggestion to just keep the points. Most airlines only make you earn points (you may not even have to fly...just earn points SOMEHOW) only every 2-3 years to keep the account active. Eventually they can build up to the point that you can use them for something of better value.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:08 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by citylover
Ventimiglia
The thing is I will never get enough points on any of these except USAirways to fly in the future so I was hoping this was one to use up what I had.
The US Airways MasterCard would be an easy 15,000 miles (or the documentation-happy Bank of America option...).

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...reditcards.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.