FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   KLM's most incredible offer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/5405-klms-most-incredible-offer.html)

Intercity Aviation Nov 28, 2001 7:45 am

KLM's most incredible offer

It is matching mileage balance as well as status for any airline. You need to have a non-U.S. address and fly qualifing segments on KLM or Partners.

"We will adopt and match the service level and award points you have earned in any other airline loyalty program when you enroll for this special action in KLM's Flying Dutchman program."

"Besides matching the level and privileges you have grown accustomed to, we also give you free award points, up to a 100% of the points or miles you now hold with your other airline loyalty program. And depending on the number of flights or service points you accumulate over the first 6 months, you will receive either a Flying Dutchman SilverWing or RoyalWing membership card for an entire new year."

See:

http://www.klm.be/new_members/frame/new_members.asp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum28/HTML/000250.html

Sorry to double post this but this is an amazing offer.

doc Nov 28, 2001 8:15 am

You need to have a non-U.S. address ! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

JonNYC Nov 28, 2001 8:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
You need to have a non-U.S. address ! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif</font>
AND, give them your current FF statement-- presumably showing your actual, current address.

Mountain Trader Nov 28, 2001 9:02 am

Does the overseas address (if real) need to be on the existing FF statement?

afang Nov 28, 2001 9:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mountain Trader:
Does the overseas address (if real) need to be on the existing FF statement?</font>
I would think so!

JonNYC Nov 28, 2001 9:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mountain Trader:
Does the overseas address (if real) need to be on the existing FF statement?</font>
The application specifically says you must use the same address as the FF statement you are submitting to be matched.

DOC 2 BE Nov 28, 2001 9:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
The application specifically says you must use the same address as the FF statement you are submitting to be matched.</font>
Could someone open up a FF account and add miles to it via Diners or AMEX and supply a foreign address of an office that their company may maintain, and then submit that to KLM?????

Might that not work?

JonNYC Nov 28, 2001 10:46 am

As I said in the CO forum thread on this subject: I have no doubt that someone living in the US will find a way to scam KLM out of some miles under this promotion. But since they are basically giving away money (in the form of miles) I would imagine that they reserve the right to audit any application they deem to be suspicious-- including FF accounts that were opened less than a month before the expiration of their offer-- and containing no flight activity.

kempis Nov 28, 2001 11:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:
Could someone open up a FF account and add miles to it via Diners or AMEX and supply a foreign address of an office that their company may maintain, and then submit that to KLM?????

Might that not work?
</font>
You need to have status with the airline as well. I am Aeroplan Elite(Air Canada) and lives in Sweden and I will take advantage of this offer.

umguy Nov 28, 2001 11:44 am

My question is, my family has a house in England so the address is not a big deal. But do will they take E statements. Because my that's all I get from CO

Plato90s Nov 28, 2001 11:46 am

Does anyone else find KLM's qualifications standards confusing?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Your Service Level depends on the amount of points you earn or the number of times you fly on qualifying flights. You can find out your 'Service Level' from the Points Statement that is sent to you, from the website (PIN needed) or by calling the FD Phone.

Your Service Level is reviewed every week to see whether you qualify for a higher level. After 12 months of membership we review you Service Level to see whether your current membership should be renewed or possibly downgraded to a lower level.</font>
It doesn't seem like there are set mileage/segment levels for specific status, the way US airlines do it. It also seems like you can be downgraded at KLM's pleasure.

Seems a bit strange.

Bouncer Nov 28, 2001 11:57 am

Umm.. is there a reason why they don't extend this to US residents (giving a matching tier without an actual mileage award)? I'm a lot more likely to try KLM if I can board at an elite level. (shrug)

Regards,
-Bouncer-

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:16 pm

A few years ago, KLM and NW took a joint decision about how to manage their FF programs.

NW Worldperks members with European addresses were transferred to the KLM program; similarly, KLM members with US addresses were transferred to the NW Worldperks program. It is my understanding that KLM now deals with all global customers, NW deals with US customers.

------------------
Please visit The Mileage Runner's Toolkit and Unofficial United Airlines Guide

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
Does anyone else find KLM's qualifications standards confusing?</font>
No. I think that something has gotten lost in the translation from Dutch. Here's my interpretation, reading between the lines:

Your Service Level depends on the amount of points you earn or the number of times you fly on qualifying flights.

Translation: You can qualify for elite status with KLM either on "points" or on "segments". There are a number of different ways to find out how many points a flight accrues, if you choose to quality based on points. If you choose to qualify based on segments, this info is irrelevant.

You can find out your 'Service Level' from the Points Statement that is sent to you, from the website (PIN needed) or by calling the FD Phone.

Translation: If you don't know whether you've qualified for elite status with KLM, you can check by looking at your statement, checking the website, or calling KLM. They neglect to mention that you can look at your card! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Your Service Level is reviewed every week to see whether you qualify for a higher level.

Translation: We run a weekly sweep to determine whether you've crossed the elite-qualification (Silverwing or Royalwing) level. If you've crossed, we'll upgrade your card. In other words, your new status will not take more than one week to come into effect after your qualifying flight/segment posts.

After 12 months of membership we review you Service Level to see whether your current membership should be renewed or possibly downgraded to a lower level.

Translation: Your elite status with KLM lasts for a year. After a year, we'll evaluate your account. If you've maintained enough flights to retain your status, you'll retain your status. If you've not met the threshold for your elite level over the past year, we'll drop your status to one that is appropriate.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It doesn't seem like there are set mileage/segment levels for specific status, the way US airlines do it. It also seems like you can be downgraded at KLM's pleasure.</font>
There are set mileage/segment levels for the specific levels (and similarly, for the promotion). They're available in the KLM program guidebook or on the (members only) area of the website. I don't have my guide to hand, but I'll look it up when I get home.

Hope this clarifies matters.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 11-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 11-28-2001).]

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:38 pm

Just picked this up on the KLM UK website:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
My partner was merrily sat in the RW lounge when the RW lounge rep came up to him and said she had made a mistake. She had just had a phone call from HQ to say that the offer only applies to Belgium post codes and is meant to be an offer to help Sabena card holders primarily. She said she is sure it is not on offer to the UK...
</font>
This seems to be at odds with what is printed on the form. Please see this thread on the KLM website for further information.

------------------