FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   KLM's most incredible offer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/5405-klms-most-incredible-offer.html)

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:40 pm

Also from the KLM UK website:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Please note that this promotion is only applicable if you have been sent the promotional leaflet which was posted to a target group. If you have not recieved this please send us copies of your last 3 statements when we will consider if you are eligible"</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The plot thickens! Obviously some of us are targets and some not...I wonder how they work that one out. I dont know whether or not to feel happy or sad that I am not one!</font>
------------------
Please visit The Mileage Runner's Toolkit and Unofficial United Airlines Guide

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 11-28-2001).]

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:44 pm

The following question was posed:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Please note (look at the conditions) that When you do NOT meet the criteria of 12000 points in the first 6 months you will be downgraded to blue wing, irrespective whether you are now a current Royal wing member!!</font>
The following answer was provided:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've just re-read it, and while it's extremely badly written I *think* what they're trying to say is something like this:
- Those who have Gold status with another airline get a Royal Wing card

- Those who have Silver status with another airline get a Silver Wing card

These cards are initially issued for twelve months.

Those who, within those six months, meet the total requirement in terms of KLM flights get to keep their card, and are credited with the full award points from their other scheme.

Those who, within those six months, meet between half and 99% of the total requirement in terms of KLM flights get half the award points from their other scheme, and get a Silver Wing card if they were previously given a Royal Wing card on the basis of their Gold status in their other scheme.

In other words, those of us who made Royal Wing under their own steam won't be affected. Those who transferred in at Royal Wing level will be downgraded to Silver Wing if they don't do enough trips on KLM in the six months.

I *think* that's what they mean... it would be logical (but then again, is KLM ever logical?) </font>
Thought it was worthy of inclusion over here. If anyone has more definite clarification of policies and eligibility, please post here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 11-28-2001).]

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 12:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
It doesn't seem like there are set mileage/segment levels for specific status, the way US airlines do it. It also seems like you can be downgraded at KLM's pleasure.</font>
Here's the nitty-gritty from KLM's Terms and Conditions

2.2. Service Level

There are three different Service Levels, each with its own Membership Card. These levels are BlueWing, SilverWing, and RoyalWing.

General items concerning Service Levels:

The Service Level to which a Member is entitled is determined by the number of Service Points accumulated, as indicated in the Points Tables, or the number of one-way flights taken by the Member in a Card Year with KLM and/or Airline Partners (extra points from special offers do not count). These points are printed on the Points Statement under Service Level.

The only exception to the preceding clause is renewal of BlueWing membership, for which all points earned during a year are taken into account.

Flying Dutchman BlueWing Members

Upgrading to SilverWing:
BlueWing Members who have accumulated 17.000 Service Points or more, or 20 one-way flights toward the Service Level during the 12 months after issuance of the Card, (for the purpose of this section, this validity period is further referred to as Card Year), will receive a SilverWing Card.

When the SilverWing Card is issued, a maximum of 17.000 Service Points and a maximum of 20 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Renewal:
If a BlueWing Member accumulates less than 10.000 Service Points or 10 one-way flights, the BlueWing membership will be continued automatically. When the new BlueWing membership is granted, a maximum of 10.000 Service Points and a maximum of 10 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Flying Dutchman SilverWing Members

Upgrading to RoyalWing:
SilverWing Members who have accumulated 30.000 Service Points or more, or 40 one-way flights toward the Service Level during a Card Year, will receive a RoyalWing Card. When the RoyalWing Card is issued, a maximum of 30.000 Service Points and a maximum of 40 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Renewal:
If a SilverWing Member accumulates between 17.000 and 30.000 Service Points or 20 one-way flights toward the Service Balance during a Card Year, Member will receive a new SilverWing Card at the end of the Card Year. When the new SilverWing Card is issued, a maximum of 17.000 Service Points and a maximum of 20 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Downgrading to BlueWing:
If a SilverWing Member has not reached 17.000 Service Points or 20 one-way flights on the Service Level after a Card Year, Member will be issued a BlueWing Card and a maximum of 10.000 Service Points and a maximum of 10 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Flying Dutchman RoyalWing Members

Renewal:
If a RoyalWing Member accumulates 30.000 Service Points or more, or 40 one-way flights on the Service Level during a Card Year, Member will receive a new RoyalWing Card at the end of the Card Year. When the new RoyalWing Card is issued, a maximum of 30.000 Service Points and a maximum of 40 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

Downgrading to SilverWing:
If a RoyalWing Member has not reached 30.000 Service Points or 40 one-way flights on the Service Level after a Card Year, Member will be issued a SilverWing Card. When the SilverWing Card is issued, a maximum of 17.000 Service Points and a maximum of 20 one-way flights will be subtracted from the Service Level.

The extent of extra services provided by KLM and the benefits arranged with other organizations depend on the Member’s Service Level. Members can find details about these services and benefits in the Flying Dutchman Program Brochure.

All extra services and benefits are subject to change and availability, and local restrictions and alterations may apply.

------------------

Eugene Nov 28, 2001 1:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
The application specifically says you must use the same address as the FF statement you are submitting to be matched.</font>
No, it doesn't say that. Where did you get that?

pointman Nov 28, 2001 1:42 pm

Surely there must be some mail forwarding services in Europe. One could easily purchase an account, and then have them forward your mail to your U.S. address. Thus, you could "move" to Europe and change your FF account address. After the KLM special is over, you could "move" back home and cancel the mail service.

Any FT'ers in England? If someone knows of a mail forwarding service, I think many over here would appreciate the info....

Eugene Nov 28, 2001 1:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointman:
After the KLM special is over, you could "move" back home and cancel the mail service.</font>
Keep in mind that the residence restriction is not specific to this promo, but is a general requirement of membership in KLM's FD program (US residents can't be members).

MatthewClement Nov 28, 2001 1:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointman:
Any FT'ers in England? If someone knows of a mail forwarding service, I think many over here would appreciate the info....</font>
You could try Mail Boxes Etc in the UK, as they're pretty reputable.

Standard disclaimer -- no connection or experience. I just know how to use a search engine.

------------------

YVR Cockroach Nov 28, 2001 2:15 pm

The only problem I can see with this is the limited time (just over 6 weeks) available for geographically-non-eligible enrollees to 1) get a non-N. American mailing address, 2) switch the frequent flyer account to that address, 3) get an updated statement, and 4) get it to KL in time.

My AA and US statements are running at least 6-8 weeks behind.

msn Nov 28, 2001 4:01 pm

It will cost $20 per month, with $50 to start up fee, but it can be done. Tricky is having too many people at the same address, but you can change your address pretty quickly and get a print out over the internet.

One business letter to the U.S. per month is included. Courier at normal rates (not double).

Other options on request (bank accounts, etc.)

You should also get a phone number (where possible) - but this is extra.

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by msn (edited 11-28-2001).]

MileTex Nov 28, 2001 9:05 pm

I'm still a bit confused if this offer is only open to members with an address in Belgium. My address is in Poland and when I spoke to the FD help desk the agent never mentioned this promo was for Belgium members.

Anyone know the facts?

askworldtraveler Nov 28, 2001 9:22 pm

I've been searching the KLM site for the real benifits of their program. Their web site only gives very general information - no specifics on upgrades and award travel.

Anyone know where to find this information.

Bottom line....
I have a home in Europe
I am an AA EXP with over 1 Million unused miles in my account (don't worry ...my kids line up for my miles every year....)
KLM serves most of the cities I need, and CO covers the rest.
However..... what are the real benifits besides a lounge, extra weight, and dedicated check in?
Please free free to E mail me.... Thanks...
WT

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)

pshuang Nov 29, 2001 12:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by askworldtraveler:
However..... what are the real benifits ....</font>
I think what's getting people excited is the possibility of having your points in another program matched.

MatthewClement Nov 29, 2001 1:05 am

You're right, it's the free miles that are creating all the buzz. As a program, Flying Dutchman isn't terrible. KLM is one of the (very) few European FF programs which offer upgrades as rewards, and at a reasonable level. If you fly international business class, particularly within Europe, KLM will let you accrue mileage faster than most other programs.

------------------

IntFF Nov 29, 2001 6:23 am

KLM gets an F (failed) for providing info on web. Lots missing + refs to h/c brochures!!
In all the FT posting and web references I didnt see the real important info. Can somebody answer the following questions:
1. On their web KLM refer to 2 kinds of points: Award points & Service points. What is the difference.
2. Segments are understood concept, but how do you earn the Service Points. Are they equivalent to miles or depend on class like AAdvantage points? What is the formula?

MatthewClement Nov 29, 2001 7:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IntFF:
1. On their web KLM refer to 2 kinds of points: Award points & Service points. What is the difference.</font>
Award points are points which can be redeemed for awards. They represent [Total "base" points] + [Total "bonus" points] - [Points for awards redeemed], and they never expire.

Service points are used for calculating status level within Flying Dutchman. You receive service points only for flights. These expire after a year.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IntFF:
2. Segments are understood concept, but how do you earn the Service Points. Are they equivalent to miles or depend on class like AAdvantage points? What is the formula?</font>
The "service point" award chart is a complicated thing, but the formula is loosely based on distance and class of travel. For example, an inter-US flight on NW earns 450 points in coach, 900 in business, and 1800 in first. A JFK-AMS flight on KL earns 1950 points in coach, 3900 points in business, and 7800 points in first.

Give KLM Flying Dutchman a call (+31 20 430 9325 for English-speakesr) and request a copy of their "Program Brochure", which provides a comprehensive overview of the FD program.

Clear as mud, eh?

------------------