Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 1999, 8:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Hawaii

Which programs offer the best rewards for car rentals. I am looking to score some free rentals for a honeymoon. We are trying to save as much as possible and still have a good time.

So far we have the following:

Two free tickets on American (coach, not enough for first) w/ island hopper.

Honolulu - 3 free nights at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Kauai - Hyatt Regency Resort. One free night for each paid night. Not bad. (staying for 4 paying for 2) Any advice on how to better this deal. Mountainview rooms are $340/night.

Big Island - fiancee wants to stay at Kona Village Resort (3 nights). Only thing I can find is through AMEX (45,000 points for free night). Unfortunately I have stopped traveling for work so points are tougher to come by.

We will need car rentals on each island.
Honolulu - 3 days (1 weekend, 1 weekday)
Kauai - 4 days (3 w/e, 1w/d)
Big Island - 3 days (3 w/d)

I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions on what I have so far.
Old Jan 14, 1999, 1:25 pm
Commander Catcop

You may want to talk to American to see if they have any car rental special offers tied in to the ticket (although since you are flying coach that might be tough.)

Hertz is about the best program, although
they are a bit expensive.
Avis is good too (never used them though.)

I think there are a lot of FlyerTalkers who can help you better but I wanted to try.

PS to WEBMASTER: CAN WE PLEASE CREATE A SPECIAL SECTION ON FLYERTALK FOR THE CAR RENTAL FIRMS??? THIS IS A TERRIFIC QUESTION
THAT IN THE FUTURE WOULD BE TOUGH TO FIND AMONG ALL THE BUZZ TOPICS! JUST A SUGGESTION!
CATMAN
Old Jan 14, 1999, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Book Budget through the Internet and get a 20% discount-- www.drivebudget.com and click on "Hot Deals". Usually Thursday noon through Monday noon are considered weekend days.
Old Jan 14, 1999, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS 100K
Find a travel agent on the internet that is based in Hawaii. Ask if they can make a car rental thru Roundabout Travel. They are a travel wholesaler in Hawaii and have blocks of car rentals set up on each island. I usually can get an economy car for $20 a day year round.
Old Jan 14, 1999, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Good suggestion JayJ. How about you, TropicalFlyer, you might know.
Old Jan 15, 1999, 8:09 am
Original Member

Where is Tropical Flyer? I haven't seen her in a while...
Old Jan 18, 1999, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I recently booked week-long rental with Hertz out of HNL. They're currently offering 20% off if you book at their website. This is in addition to other discounts you may have through airlines, travel clubs, etc. I ended up getting a pretty competitive rate. (Plus double miles fromDelta and double miles from my SkyMiles Optima card. Ka-ching!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.