Wiki Posts
Search

AF1? Or maybe 2 or 3

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2001, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
AF1? Or maybe 2 or 3

Several weeks back, as I was on the runway in MIA, I saw a 747(?) with the unique "United States of America" livery that made it look just like AF1, only smaller.

There was no indication, however, that the president or VP were in town that weekend. What other US aircraft bear that livery?
Old Oct 27, 2001, 7:12 pm

It was probably a DC-9 or a 757.

See http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mil/alf-tank/89AW.htm for more information.
Old Oct 27, 2001, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Very cool. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:27 am

Actually, the designation Air Force 1 is for any plane carrying the President of the United States (POTUS). The powder blue United States of America livery is on many plnaes these days.

There is one plane (whose tail number I do not remember) which is usually the jet the President flies in.

As an interesting note, when Nixon resigned, he boarded a helicopter on the South Lawn (Marine 1) which took him to the plane he would be taking to CA. When he boarded, he was still President (Air Force 1). While in the air, Ford became President and the call sign of the plane changed, as it was no longer carrying POTUS.

Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
When I did the Boeing tour in WA a couple of years ago, the plane that is usually AF1 was on site to have some work done on it. I managed to see it from about 1/4 mile away behind some other planes, but the snapshot I took didn't come out well.
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA since 85:
Actually, the designation Air Force 1 is for any plane carrying the President of the United States (POTUS). The powder blue United States of America livery is on many planes these days.
</font>
Actually the AF1 designation is only for Air Force planes. If it is a navy plane than it is Navy 1. If it is Army, then it is Army One. Same for a marine plane or helicopter. This is why the presidential helicopter is usually Marine One. If the president is on a private/commercial plane it is Executive One.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA since 85:
There is one plane (whose tail number I do not remember) which is usually the jet the President flies in.
</font>
The two B747-200B's are SAM 28000 and SAM 29000.

[This message has been edited by UA*AA (edited 10-28-2001).]
Old Oct 28, 2001, 10:57 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

While waiting to depart DCA a few weeks ago, I saw a small lear jet with the powder blue USA livery as well. Indeed, many aircraft have this paint job.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Oct 28, 2001, 1:05 pm

Thanks UA*AA. That's what I was trying to say.

A writer without an editor is like a penguin without a cigar.
Old Oct 28, 2001, 3:01 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileageAddict:
While waiting to depart DCA a few weeks ago, I saw a small lear jet with the powder blue USA livery as well. Indeed, many aircraft have this paint job.
</font>
Actually there is a fleet of various planes with that paint job -- used for cabinet members, members of congress, et al.

RAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.