Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat next to a milage broker

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Sat next to a milage broker

Recently my seat opponent was a milage broker.

We had a very interesting conversation. Apparently he buys miles and re-sells them as business class and first class tickets.

He mentioned that some airlines never question the buyer at check in where some other airlines almost always question.

Also it was intersting that he was more interested in accounts with low milage so he would sell only one ticket from that account at a time. He then stated that he would encourage people wanting to sell AMEX/Diners miles to open multiple accounts at the same airline.

What was most intersting was that he had a wealth of 'street knowledge' on how to get from XXX to YYY and in what airline before even making a call.

For example, he stated Qantas tickets are impossible to get, where JAL tickets are relatively easy.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:59 am

Some of such activity is not acceptable to the airline involved.

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Recently my seat opponent was a milage broker.

We had a very interesting conversation. Apparently he buys miles and re-sells them as business class and first class tickets.

He mentioned that some airlines never question the buyer at check in where some other airlines almost always question.

Also it was intersting that he was more interested in accounts with low milage so he would sell only one ticket from that account at a time. He then stated that he would encourage people wanting to sell AMEX/Diners miles to open multiple accounts at the same airline.

What was most intersting was that he had a wealth of 'street knowledge' on how to get from XXX to YYY and in what airline before even making a call.

For example, he stated Qantas tickets are impossible to get, where JAL tickets are relatively easy.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:39 pm

He may actually have the people he buys from book the trip and he middlemans the ticket for his profit.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:30 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
one easier than another re: award flights

Is there (yes, I did search) a tool or resource that rates the ability to actually get award seats out of various programs?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Christian
Is there (yes, I did search) a tool or resource that rates the ability to actually get award seats out of various programs?
You need to post your question separately. A) It's off topic for this thread and B) You won't get many answers this way.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
it may be against airline policy, but these brokers have been around for awhile now
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been seated by many so-called mileage brokers. Their eys light up when they see a "Million Miler" tag or Platinium tag. My best guess most are trying to broker my miles to a buyer and I assume any risks. I politely say "no thanks" to these types of strangers. Ditto for insurance salesmen, the hourly rental girls and persons who want to change my religion etc.

MisterNice
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I have been seated by many so-called mileage brokers. Their eys light up when they see a "Million Miler" tag or Platinium tag. My best guess most are trying to broker my miles to a buyer and I assume any risks. I politely say "no thanks" to these types of strangers. Ditto for insurance salesmen, the hourly rental girls and persons who want to change my religion etc.

MisterNice
Don't forget the man who wants to sell you awesome speakers out of the back of his mini van... that's also big no thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MisterNice

MisterNice
A couple more interesting items:

He did not ask me about my miles

He was interested more on low milelage accounts (i.e. 1 ticket from one account at one time)

He hid his boarding pass from me (i.e. he did not want me to know his name).
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by kcnwa
Don't forget the man who wants to sell you awesome speakers out of the back of his mini van... that's also big no thanks.

Surprisingly, most of those speakers sold out of the back of a van are legitimate. They print fancy brochures to make you think that the speakers are stolen and you are actually getting a rock bottom deal, however, they are marketed through the company in this fashion. Which leads me to to thinking, maybe the mileage brokers are starting to sell real "consolidator fares" but marketing them as mileage tickets
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:18 am

Surprisingly, most of those speakers sold out of the back of a van are legitimate. They print fancy brochures to make you think that the speakers are stolen and you are actually getting a rock bottom deal, however, they are marketed through the company in this fashion. Which leads me to to thinking, maybe the mileage brokers are starting to sell real "consolidator fares" but marketing them as mileage tickets
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mikeinseattle
Of course, FT'ers and other savvy travellers *should* generally be able to check fare codes. But hey, if they became more legit (and I could get miles on a legally obtained ticket from one), I'd buy it if the price were right
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I had that happen to me once at a gas station - a guy pulled up to the pump next to me and asked me if I wanted to buy a set of speakers for $30. I politely declined his offer.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by kipper
I had that happen to me once at a gas station - a guy pulled up to the pump next to me and asked me if I wanted to buy a set of speakers for $30. I politely declined his offer.
But it says on the box they're worth $1750. How could you pass that up? My neighbor bought some. Paid over $400. They sounded decent. At best.
Anyway, did the mileage broker tell you if he runs into problems, and what he does if/ when the airlines question the validity of the tickets? Seems like a rather iffy transaction for all involved.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:08 pm

Very interesting additional info-especially trying to hide his info??????????????

Originally Posted by AAaLot
A couple more interesting items:

He did not ask me about my miles

He was interested more on low milelage accounts (i.e. 1 ticket from one account at one time)

He hid his boarding pass from me (i.e. he did not want me to know his name).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.