Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

when do class of service bonues count toward elite status ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 1999, 8:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

An interesting question / observation:

On "most" airlines, the 25% or 50% bonus for business class or first class does not count in calculating the elite threshold levels.

Delta is offering a 60-day window where such bonuses DO count toward annual elite levels, but there is confusion (even at DL) as to whether A-class (upgraded coach to first) will count.

I hear that TWA will include their bonus for $ paid in the calculation of miles, and offer the alternative of qualifying by miles or by segments or by dollars paid.

Recently, on US Airways, my A-class ticket received the first class bonus, and those total miles count toward elite levels -- according to the automated 800 number.

From past experience, I see that United does not count the bonus toward elite status.

So, now my query: Which airlines do, and which do not, and what other tricks and insights are involved from carrier to carrier ?

John

Old Jan 12, 1999, 9:24 am
Original Member

Alaska always counts a 50% first-class bonus toward status, even when you fly on a complimentary upgrade!
Old Jan 12, 1999, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Air Canada counts class of service bonus (25% for Executive/Executive First Class) even on upgrades from cheapest discount fares towards status. Since discount fares only earn 50% of full fare, this bonus on discount fares is really a 150% bonus over what you normally get! I.E a full fare earning 1000 miles and upgraded would get 1250 miles, while a discount fare on the same route would earn 500 miles but upgraded would still get 1250 miles. When the airline voluntarily upgrades you without using your certificates (e.g. when oversold in coach etc.) you do not get the bonus! I make a habit of using certificates even if I think they will upgrade me so I can get my status miles as well.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 10:03 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
reno air also gives a 50% bonus on flights in first class with a complimentary upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 10:16 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
UA: they had a time limited promotion (if I am correct that was only on Germany-US-flights?) in spring 98 counting class-bonus (25% business, 50% first) also as Status miles.

Lufthansa (LH):
business 100% bonus (total 200%),
first 200% bonus (total 300%),
ALL COUNT FOR STATUS (Senator)
ALSO FLIGHTS AND CLASS-BONUS ON ALL STARALLIANCE-PARTNERS
so with 33'334 miles in first you hit 100'000 miles = the highest LH status = Senator for miles&more-members living outside Germany (for german members it is 150'000 status miles. But award-wise a LH-mile is in average only 2/3 worth of an UA-mile.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 11:35 am
Original Member

On American, Class of Service bonuses do not qualify for elite statsu qualification unless they are running a special promotion.

Class of service bonuses are not awarded on upgraded tickets (either by stickers or award use).

--Jim
Old Jan 12, 1999, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Qualiflyer (Swissair, Sabena, Austrian, Delta, Crossair, TAP, Turkish, AOM, Lauda, Tyrolean) give in Business 50% and in First 100% bonus, but those bonus miles DON't count as status.

What counts as STATUS-miles are stays at Swissotels & Sabena Hotels (500 miles/night, max 2'500/stay).
Old Jan 12, 1999, 1:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

So, a stay at Swissotel (500 mi per night) with mileage accrual to Delta SkyMiles will count toward elite status on DL ???
Old Jan 12, 1999, 1:51 pm
Original Member

those STATUS miles were for Swissair/Sabena/Crossair ff-accounts (and I believe it is the same for Austrian-Airlines). I don't know how it works out for DL-members.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
i forgot to mention that as long as reno and american are running their "double-up" promotion (miles credited to both reno's QQmiles AND american's advantage for every reno flight taken), the 50% bonus goes to both accounts.

for example, for an upgraded flight last year from las vegas to colorado springs on reno air, i got 604+302=906 miles credited to my reno account and also to my american account.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Continental will provide 50% elite qualification bonus if you fly First or BusinessFirst.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 3:30 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
But CO will only do that on a paid First or Business ticket. Not an upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 1999, 4:35 pm
pgupta011

For certain months in 1998 United (and most all US airlines) were counting class of service bonus towards elite. This was for tickets purchased in business/first not for upgraded tickets purchased in coach. A couple of times when United messed up with my flights, I got the class of service bonus for a purchased coach ticket (upgraded using upgrade certs) and it counted towards elite (was not much miles anyway and did not help me since I rely more on segments flown than actual miles).

Old Jan 12, 1999, 4:46 pm
Original Member

JGill - I believe that your understanding is correct re TWA, and that is not a promotion. E.g. Buy a $1,000 ticket and upgrade for a 3,000 mile flight and you qualify for 100% bonus. This means that you will get 6,000 miles for flight and bonus, and 1,000 miles for the cost of the ticket totalling 7,000 miles, all qualifying towards status. You can reach status either on segments, or miles flown, or $ spent. e.g. Platinum (top level) you can qualify either through 100,000 miles or 20 TRANS-ATLANTIC segments (i.e. not US) or $20,000 spent on tickets. They also have a 1,000 mile minimum, even on TWA express. Platinum members get free lounge access and UNLIMITED upgrades. Having said all of that, I would still not choose to fly TWA.
Old Jan 14, 1999, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
American counts class of service (not mileage bonuses directly) for Executive Platinum Aadvantage. Miles are multiplied by .5 for discount coach, 1 for full fare coach, 1.25 for business class and 1.5 for first for EP points. The multiplier for a trip can be anywhere from .5 to 1.5 because it's figured per segment. 100,000 points, which can be 66,667 to 200K miles, gets you that level.

At this time Gold and non-Exec Platinum use a straight mileage calculation, 500-mi. min., with no class of service or fare bonuses: 25K for Gold, 50K for Plat., with 30/60 flight segments as alternative standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.