Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I gave our CEO my upgraded first seat, once flying ORD to LAX. He attempted to upgrade, but my status (and a few other non-related flyers) trumped him. Did not hesitate, as my rationalization is all my miles are earned on "his dime".

He was quite appreciative, and went out of his way to thank me a week later, which was the next time I ran into him.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My first ever upgrade, my boss was in the back of the bus. Sitting there with my cocktail (this was a decade ago) as he walked the aisle past me made it that much better.

But he was a good guy, and we both travelled enough for elite status, so he knew how it worked, and there was no problem.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA1P
The only time I traveled with my boss to a meeting, we were both booked in Y, but I had a bunch of 500-mile upgrades and requested an upgrade for myself.

I felt a little bad, and since we needed to go over the meeting a bit, I went ahead and upgraded him to the adjacent seat in F.

It was a short hop, and it was useful for both of us to get a little work done. More comfy and better food too...
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Depending on your boss it might have given you quite a boost on the corporate ladder if you immediately stood up and said "Mr. CEO Type, you have worked so hard for this seat, I'd be honored to give it to you".
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Funny story (in retrospect)...

A couple of years ago, our in-house travel department was training a new agent and letting her practice by booking and cancelling dummy reservations in Sabre. At one point, they apparently pulled my profile as I had (as I heard it later) an "interesting profile" with very specific seat, meal, and upgrade requests. They apparently picked a flight that some of our team were traveling on and practiced "adding" an additional traveler to an existing reservation.

Well, at that time I had a standing upgrade request in my profile for AA... and it also happens that they did not cancel my reservation although it was never ticketed.

So fast forward to the day of departure when the president of our parent company and one of my colleagues are traveling DFW-PHX. Colleague was Platinum, president merely Gold. Since my ticket hadn't been issued (but I had been assigned a first seat), they were paging me in the gate area. As colleague tells the story, this is what transpired:

President approaches counter and wants to know why I am being paged (remember, I'm not "actually" on the flight and they are trying to figure out why I'm going to Phoenix). Agent tells him that I have a reservation and they are trying to locate me to issue the ticket. He proceeds to say "I'm the president of her company - where is she sitting?" They reply "she has a seat in first class" to which he replies "remove her from that - we are on the upgrade wait list and have more seniority".

Agent laughs and tells him that isn't possible (and Platinum colleague is next on the list after me for an upgrade). President tells colleague "if she gets on this plane in first, she is fired". Of course, I'm at home asleep (its 5:45 am) and so I don't check in for the flight. Colleague pulls his own name off the upgrade list. And President doesn't clear. Apparently they checked first twice just to make sure I didn't board after they did - and he repeated to colleague several times that he would fire me if he saw me in first.

Irrational (we had no policy against upgrading with ones own upgrades) and I'm glad I don't work for those folks anymore. (These folks were the same ones that I found out took upgrade certificates that an airline sales rep had dropped by with instructions to give them to myself and another frequent flying colleague.) I realize it was their company (although now its mine) and yet I don't think bullying employees is good for morale!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:51 pm

I made a policy to never sit in a better seat than a person who can make my life difficult. The list included bosses who do not understand the airline upgrading system and any clients. One time, my project team was traveling first when I realized that our client was in coach. I gave my team the option of down grading to coach or take the next flight. All three of them decided to take the next flight.

I used to be a boss long time ago, before the days of computerized upgrading. While I tried hard to travel alone, once in a while I had to be in the same plane as a co-worker. When that happens, I always try to have my companion upgraded as well.

Here is my favorite upgrade story. Only once in my life I was offered an upgrade on a transatlantic flight, Brussels to Dallas on AA. I took a gamble and refused the upgrade unless if my travel companion was also upgraded. Both of us were holding business class tickets. It worked. It was the first time he flown first over the pond. He was amazed that I would give up a first class seat for him. It is amazing how much harder people will work for little considerations. I got a lot more out of my co-workers with the upgrades than they did. I used to have great teams doing amazing projects.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
I've had some bosses I would have enjoyed seeing sitting in coach while I enjoyed FC. However, I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable enough with the situation to ACTUALLY do it. If I had status because of the company or because of my job, I'd never accept an upgrade in front of the boss, and I'm pretty sure I'd offer it to the CEO or owner.

I used to work for a company that let us make our own travel arrangements. My coworkers and supervisor had no idea how to get decent rates and always ended up in crummy hotels with inflated rates. Nobody had negotiated rates for us so that wasn't an option, either. My coworkers would come back from their trips complaining about how the company didn't allot enough money for a decent hotel. Nobody understood how I had such a pleasant experience in a great hotel without spending a fortune until I showed them how to use Hotwire.

Of course, this was long before I found FT and discovered the magic of REALLY knowing how to travel. (which, admittedly, I'm still learning to implement)

GG
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
This would have to be reason number 22 that I'll probably never get very far career-wise inasmuch as I would happily take an upgrade to F whether my boss would be with me or back in Y.

I don't begrudge my boss the perks of bossdom... namely the more expensive lifestyle that he can afford with his position. He ought not begrudge me mine. If he feels slighted, he's probably way too insecure with himself to be an effective boss anyway. In that case, the odds are I won't stick around working for him long enough to care whether or he not he was miffed about me leaving him in Y.

Business politics isn't my thing. Don't expect me to feel bad that you can't enjoy the perks of F just because you spend your money and leisure time on golf and I spend mine on mileage runs.

That's my .02.

Edited to add: this does all go by the wayside if a client or other business partner is involved, however. I do play business politics in those cases.

Last edited by bpauker; Jul 13, 2005 at 11:59 pm
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by bpauker
he's probably way too insecure with himself to be an effective boss anyway. .
What a very true statement this can be.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:59 am

Flying with boss

Several years ago, I was upgraded to first class on a flight from BOS to DEN on UA. I arrived at the airport and realized that my boss was also on the flight, albeit in coach. I told him that I was in first class and asked for his ticket, saying that I would try to get him upgraded too. I brought to the podium and told the agent my sad story. She promptly upgraded him. I brought the ticket back to him and said, "Sorry". He never even looked at it.

When first class was called, I got up and said, "Come on". He said that only first had been called, so I told him to look at his ticket. It was like a kid at Christmas!

Unfortunately, the flight was diverted to ORD because of weather and we had to switch planes and both of us ended up in coach for the ORD to DEN trip.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bpauker
Business politics isn't my thing. Don't expect me to feel bad that you can't enjoy the perks of F just because you spend your money and leisure time on golf and I spend mine on mileage runs.
Second that. I've been upgaded several times while my boss sat in Y. He just gives me a sneer as he walks past me and my vodka tonic in F. Of course, the reason I get upgraded is that I fly sooo much while working for HIM. All the while he doesn't fly much at all, so he understands the perk.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I agree that it is good for business politics. When I flew with my team a lot, I used quite a few upgrade stickers putting my subordinates in F with me. My rule was that they got upgraded if I flew F until they had enough status to decide on their own whether or not they wanted to upgrade themselves. (About half did, the other half would save their earned upgrades for personal travel.)

I agree its good for business politics to upgrade folks you have to work with - and in my scenario above, I would have most likely offered to upgrade the company president using my status on the wait list - or downgraded to sit with the others (although I had no idea they were even on that flight - which I wasn't "really" on). What was distasteful to me was him repeatedly making the comment about "firing me" to my colleague.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:48 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
My wife went on a business trip U.S - Rome with her boss. When they arrive in Rome she discovers that the boss (who had traveled very little and never been out of the country before) evidently considers travel expenses to be the absolute worst form of evil, and is proud to have selected lodging for them that does not even rise to the level of an average hostel (I am not exaggerating). If I recall, the per-night rate was about $10-15 or so. The next day as they begin to discuss plans for lunch, the boss pulls out a bag of peanut butter sandwiches. During the trip, when free time offers opportunities for sightseeing, the boss wants nothing to do with it. Evidently it's somehow disloyal to the employer if you are able to enjoy yourself while traveling on business.

Now, you'll all think, "man, she should've quit rather than work for such an oppressive organization." In fact, the organization is a truly wonderful place to work. They have some reasonable standards of what constitutes excessive expenses, but they also have codified minimum standards, and the boss in question had to violate company policy to achieve her nefarious goals.

So anyway, the one bright spot of the trip for my wife was that a dear friend of hers had recently moved to Rome, and my wife would be able to briefly meet up with her friend at the airport prior to departure, because the friend worked there. As a matter of fact, the friend worked for the departing airline, and upgraded my wife for the return flight.

My wife says her boss didn't even make eye contact with her as she boarded and saw her there in a seat "worth" several thousand dollars, but we imagine the moment must still feature in some of her most horrifying nightmares.

Happily, my wife does now have a different boss.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
A few years ago I joined a startup company and the CEO was my immediate boss (only 10 or so in the company - very flat managemet team ). We went on a trip and flew Y out. We had a great repore, during the trip he gave me a bad time (kidding) about something - I think it was because I booked us on a farily early flight on the return and he wasn't a morning guy. Anyway I told him just for that I'd upgrade myself to first and enjoy the flight even more, when he stayed in Y. I did, he did, we continued to have a great repore and all was well (until the .com bust).

Bruce
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Depending on your boss it might have given you quite a boost on the corporate ladder if you immediately stood up and said "Mr. CEO Type, you have worked so hard for this seat, I'd be honored to give it to you".
Oh how the young can be so innocent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.