Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best card for foreign exchange?

Best card for foreign exchange?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:14 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Wells Fargo

It gets worse. Just read my Wells Fargo statement. In addition to the $5 ATM fee they will also charge 3% on all non-US point of sale purchases. Ouch.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by lin821
Unfortunately I can't provide you with more threads while the search function is down.
try going to google and typing site:flyertalk.com then follow that with your search term you would normally look up on here.

hope that helps!

Very interesting on the exchange rates vs. fees I may use my AMEX overseas now that I know this!
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Google Search for Flyertalk

Originally Posted by Vip4me
try going to google and typing site:flyertalk.com then follow that with your search term you would normally look up on here.

hope that helps!
^
How come I forgot to mention Google for searching threads? Dah!

Meanwhile, I agree with the earlier posts that more bank are jumping on the bandwagon adding 3% foreigh transactoion fee. If not now, soon. I recalled my US Bank visa (NWA) used not to have add-on fee originally. I decided to stop using it when visiting home when I noticed they started charging the extra fee maybe 3 years ago.

Last edited by lin821; Feb 20, 2005 at 5:52 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have been informed by mc/visa that starting 1 apr 05, any foriegn currency charges will incur a 3% FINANCE CHARGE... i couldn't find any mention of dropping the current 3% [irrc] fee...i.m planning on using a debit card in the future, miles aren't worth 6% to me...
Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by willie--wonka
I just got a notice from Citibank, too, that they are getting ready to institute a 3% conversion charge.
My understanding of the increase from 2% to 3% is simply a result of the way Visa/MC account for the currency conversion. In the past, the rate that Visa/MC used was wholesale + 1%. Then Citi or whoever would add on an extra 2% for an effective 3% rate.

The new method is that Visa/MC rate is wholesale, and they bill the bank for their share of the conversion charge in bulk at the end of the month. Then the bank charges a 3% conversion, pockets most of it except for whatever percent they have to kickback to Visa/MC.

You can see this might be true from the language on the cardholder agreement. Old language:
Currently, their regulations and procuders provide that the currency conversion rate they use is either (1) a wholesale market rate or (2) a government-mandated rate in effect one day prior to the processing date. MasterCard and Visa increase this conversion rate by one percent and keep this increase. We increase the conversion rate provided to us by MasterCard or Visa by two percent and keep this increase.
New language:
MasterCard currently uses a conversion rate in effect one day prior to its transaction processing date. Such rate is either a wholesale market rate or the government-mandated rate. Visa currently uses a conversion rate in effect on its applicable central processing date. Such rate is either a rate it selects from the range of rates available in wholesale currency markets, which may vary from the rate it receives, or the government-mandated rate.
Note that in the new language, there is no mention of Visa/MC increasing the rate by 1%. We'll see what actually happens. I'm especially curious as to what will happen with MBNA because I haven't seen any new T&C from them. Are they going to go down to 0%?
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:20 pm
Original Member

MBNA still wins. I test this occasionally when I travel outside the U.S. My MBNA Amtrak card is the only card I use regularly for foreign currency transactions. The net charge over the interbank rate ranges from 0.5% to 1.5%, which represents what Mastercard charges the bank over the rate their currency traders get. But occasionally I get a rate significantly better than the interbank rate. Mastercard probably has some very good curency traders.

The Amtrak card gives points transferrable to miles on Continental and Midwest Airlines. The latter has American Airlines as a partner. But you can transfer only 25,000 points per year. Since Amtrak dropped United Airlines as a transfer partner (or visa versa), I plan to apply for the Fidelity 1.5% cash back card from MBNA to replace my Amtrak card.

For your other 75,000, check out MBNA's credit card page. For travel awards, be sure to click on the Find More button in that section. The Gold Points card may be of interest (I write about it on my Free Cards page), as may be the foreign airlines cards, especially Lufthansa, part of the Star Alliance network. (Caution: I believe Lufthansa miles expire, and have some other not ver nice limitations on their use. I don't know much about that program, but there is probably a forum dedicated to it on Flyertalk.)

Also, with the amount you charge, why not one of the two points type cards with dedicated bank points? Sometimes these give you more bang for the buck. I have not looked at these types of cards for MBNA. I have a list of things to think about when considering this type of card, on the Bank and Other Travel Cards page of the credit card section of my website, Free Frequent Flyer Miles. Be sure to check out any maximum points earned per year limitations, expiration of points, types of tickets you can get, and how you get them (dollar limit?). All is explained on my website.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by donuteric
I mostly use my SPG AMEX when travelling abroad. From the 3 credit cards I use the most (SPG AMEX, Bankone UAL, & MBNA), I still find that AMEX has the lowest exchange rates, even after the 2% conversion surchange. MBNA has a 1% conversion surcharge (charged by Master Card, not MBNA), but to my knowledge, they have one of the worst exchange rates.
I'd like to see a real comparison of actual charges to support this contention since I think it is just wrong. My target for charges on MBNA cards, including very recent ones, have been the international currency exchange rates (which are the best), plus 1%, and MBNA is at or less than that target on each charge. My experience is that AMEX currency rates (before the 2% mark-up) are the same or even higher.

Even if MBNA and Amex started with the same currency rates, MBNA is still the winner for me. With the Fidelity card I get 1.5% back in cash, so compared to Amex plus another 1% (to get to their 2%), I am giving up the 1.5% cash rebate, and the extra 1% to Amex for a total of 2.5%. Would you pay 2.5% IN CASH for frequent flyer miles? Well, I don't, and I wouldn't pay the annual AMEX fee for the right to do so.

If you like AMEX, or you don't charge much in foreign currency, then go ahead and use Amex. But like PGary, I don't think it's the best priced move and like him, I go with MBNA.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by freakflyer
It gets worse. Just read my Wells Fargo statement. In addition to the $5 ATM fee they will also charge 3% on all non-US point of sale purchases. Ouch.
Sounds like yet another reason to switch banks.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:24 am

citibank ATM's have not let me down the vast majority of the time. their exchange rates r usually competitive, and if u hv a citibank acct, u can withdraw at any citibank ATM worldwide with no extra fees.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:13 am

in the past fed farm credit had the best rate.is this still true?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
I can also vouch for the fact that my MBNA card typically yielded the best foreign exchange rate whenever I was outside the us. I typically did a comparision between my MBNA, Amex, Diners, and another Visa/MC, and as always, MBNA came out on top in terms of giving the best exchange rate.

I don't know where a previous poster got the research to back up the fact that MBNA gave the worst rates. As you could see from various previous posters, MBNA is the card to go with when overseas.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: United, USAir, Delta, others
Last December at Singapore, I used both the Visa and MBNA cards to pay for my custom made suits. The amount I was billed on my Visa was $207.60. Two days later, I paid the remaining 50% with the MBNA card and the amount came up to $203.49, which was about 2% lower than the Visa. The exchange rates didn't vary much during those days.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I made comparisons in Israel and Spain in December, and came to the conclusion that my ATM card gave the best rate, followed very closely by MBNA.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I made comparisons in Israel and Spain in December, and came to the conclusion that my ATM card gave the best rate, followed very closely by MBNA.
Absolutely, if you can get an ATM without fees. For foreign purchases billed to USD either MBNA (mastercard) or National City (visa) don't charge over the 1% default fee. The exception is MBNA Canada, which charges 2.5% in addition, so be careful! Any suggestions out there for CDN credit?

I also recommend having an account with a global ATM alliance member: Scotiabank (Canada), Bank of America, Barclays (UK/Africa/Everywhere else), BNP Paribas (France), Deutsche Bank, Westpac (Austr.). These banks offer no-fee access via ATMs to one another's accounts. So, for example, I can withdraw Cedis at Barclays in Africa from Scotiabank in Canada at the best exchange rate with no fees! The only trouble I've can see is that Bank of America stinks.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
No miles, but Farm Bureau Bank (http://www.farmbureaubank.com) Visa pays 1% cash back. There are NO foreign conversion fees from FBB, and they absorb the fee that Visa passes on.

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.