Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Strikes in 2001

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2001, 12:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
No Strikes in 2001

At a tax-cut rally earlier today, President Bush made it clear that due to economic instability, he won't allow any airline strikes this year. While I am fiercely pro-labor, I have to admit that's one less travel problem I have to worry about...
Old Mar 9, 2001, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I thought the president merely had th epower to delay a strike for 60 days? can he really prevent them completely? Gosh i hope so, the DL pilots at least are really looking like whiny brats, as opposed to a group with genuine grievances.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 1:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
President Bush can impose a PEB, which imposes an additional 60 day waiting period. If the two sides still cannot come to an agreement after that time, Congress can impose a settlement. And since Congress is controlled by the GOP, and the GOP is anti-labor...(you get the picture)
Old Mar 9, 2001, 3:04 pm

Can you imagine what the attitudes will be like if that happens. i just hope that they can agree. If the pilots all work to rule, that will in a way be worse as the airline will say "Business As Normal" . Ho Hum. What with the ATC controllers rumbling here - yuk!
Old Mar 9, 2001, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What, are the ATC guys going to strike next? that woul dbe funny, especially when they all get thrown out on their rears, just like when they struck under Reagan's watch. What a stupid, selfish way to express dissatisfaction with your job. I just don't understand how people of this mindset find themselves working in service positions.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 3:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong: I see the value in strikes as they are the only leverage that labor has against management. OTOH, the impact of a strike is limited under Conserative government.

[This message has been edited by avek00 (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old Mar 10, 2001, 5:49 am
Original Member

Paul is referring to ATC in the UK threatening to strike. Since Bush is only President of the United States, I am afraid he can't sack our controllers
Old Mar 10, 2001, 8:14 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On the GB strike threat, see also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001351.html
Old Mar 10, 2001, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
If a group of workers cannot come to terms with their management, they should have the right to strike, transportation workers and public employees included. I find it hard to place my own convenience as a passenger above this right. Many other transportation alternatives are always available, even though not necessarily equivalent.

If the President can take away the right to strike by executive order, then why should he not have the right temporarily to nationalize the airline by executive order?

Oh No, we can't have that! Violates free market! So does the R.L.A. What's good for the goose is rarely good for the gander, and it's a myth that workers have much in the way of rights in this country.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
....If the President can take away the right to strike by executive order, then why should he not have the right temporarily to nationalize the airline by executive order?....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the airlines were nationalized during WWII. I recently read an article on John L Lewis (the former head of the United Coal Workers Union). He called a nation-wide strike during WWII and were mines were nationalized in 1943. A dont remember if they stated it was the prez or congress who did the legal stuff.

MisterNice
Old Mar 10, 2001, 8:42 pm

F.D.R. nationalized the coal mines during World War II. The Supreme Court told him he couldn't do it. Then he tried to "pack the court" (i.e. appoint extra judges) and Congress said he couldn't do that.

Not our finest hour... in fact, a low point in American democracy not equalled until this past December. (I'm an equal-opportunity malcontent. )
Old Mar 10, 2001, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by RichG:
If a group of workers cannot come to terms with their management, they should have the right to strike, transportation workers and public employees included...
I agree, workers should have an unregulated right to strike, as soon as management has the right to fire those employees who strike with no impunity. Then you have a truly level playing field. But as long as employers are regulated into not replacing striking workers, then it is not a fair situation. As far as I know there are labor laws forbidding the wholesale firing and replacing of striking workers? If I am wrong I apologize.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 8:57 pm

SRQ Guy: What about the ATC people who Regan fired in the early 80's?

That is one of the main reasons why National will never be called by its new name.

Old Mar 10, 2001, 8:59 pm

In general (and the situation in transportation industries regulated by the Railway Labor Act may well be different), in private industry, under Supreme Court decisions made under the National Labor Relations Act and the Taft-Hartley Act, workers engaged in economic strikes can be permanently replaced (although prior to about 10 years ago this was hardly ever done). Workers engaged in Unfair Labor Practice strikes (subject to determination by the National Labor Relations Board) cannot be permanently replaced. I disagree, of course, that the ability to replace strikers levels the playing field. It does very much the opposite. The field would be level if you could strike without danger of being replaced permanently.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 6:31 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"...I find it hard to place my own convenience as a passenger above this right..."

Darn it, Rich, you just simply have not yet learned to be selfish enough!

FWIW, my limited recollection and understanding of the R.L.A. is that it dates back to when the rails where really the rails, and we were collectively so very interdependent on them. The purpose was to insure both our National security and the economic security of other unrelated businesses. Otherwise innocent folks completely unrelated to the matters at hand might be seriously, even irreparably injured! Thus, historically, ie before the emergance of our "new economy", one sought a confirmation of any increase and new high in the DJIA by an attendant new high also being reached in the transportation index - the rails! If companies were gonna' make so much money producing things, then by God the Railroads would be making more money movin' the stuff! Of course now the US doesn't produce or export all that much - except for movies!

I do remember, as a child, my dad would often save/bank all his vacation time for an upcoming strike threat so as to try to avoid irritating and alienating top management by not going in and also other workers by crossing any picket lines on the way on! Those were not our most fun vacations!

And also insofar as a low point in American democracy not equalled until this past December, I would also take the opportunity to remind folks of the incredibly unjust mass interrment of the Japanese during WWII. When I first learned of this, I literally could not believe that our "wonderful" government could actually, in their infinite wisdom, have done this to them!

As good as we generally have been, relative to many other governments, we have surely had our share of VERY dark moments!

On the plus side, even with Wubya in charge, the future looks bright!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.