Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Osaka/Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:06 am

(Pushing travel-related threads ahead).
Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
If you decide on the Miyako in Kyoto, make sure you designate the Old Miyako. There is a business person's hotel across from the train station called the New Miyako - quite utilitarian. We have stayed at both. The Old Miyako has prestige and ambiance and was a Westin when we stayed there. Though I would agree that the western rooms leave much to be desired. It is in a residential neighborhood with a few good restaurants you can walk to.

In Tokyo, we stayed at Hyatt near Shinjuku. They have a free shuttle to the station and shopping. The restaurants in the dept stores are a quarter the price of the hotel - intended for locals. Really good food. There are also food floors, usually in the basement, of the dept stores. We got in on UA 50% off rates and were happy with the hotel and location.

One great piece of advice I got for using public transit: Buy the cheapest ticket and let the transit authorities collect from you at the end. It saves a huge hassle trying to figure out the money in advance and is perfectly legal. A buzzer goes off when you exit the station and a person comes over to get the money you owe. I found few helpful English speakers in Japan so this advice from another American was really a jewel.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 2:02 pm

Programs: Many
Need to distinguish between Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Century Hyatt, both of which are in West Shinjuku. The Park Hyatt Tokyo IMHO is easily in the top 2 or 3 hotels in the city. The other Hyatt is, well, another Hyatt.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 1:06 pm

Is there much to sightsee in Osaka? Would it make sense to stay in Osaka(since that is where we'd be flying back to US from) and take day trips to Kyoto? Also, from Yokahoma to Osaka is flying best way?How far from Yokahoma to airport to Osaka? Thanks for info.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 4:36 pm

davidlee, if you factor in the ride from Yokohama to Haneda Airport, checking in, waiting for your flight, flight time, arriving at Itami Airport, retrieving your luggage and the ride into Osaka, it is probably much faster to hop on the shinkansen (bullet train) which will take you directly from Shin-Yokohama to Shin-Osaka in a little more than 2.5 hours and you can take in the countryside. If the weather is nice, you can view Mt. Fuji.
Both shinkansen stations are just outside of downtown in both cities, but teeming with taxis and other public transport options.

There are many things to do and see in Osaka, although not as many as Tokyo or Kyoto. In Europe there are palaces, cathedrals and more palaces and cathedrals. In Japan there are temples, castles and more temples. Osaka Castle is arguably one of the most beautiful and famous castles in all of Japan.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally posted by unagi1:
If money for a ryokan in Kyoto is no object (JPY 40000+) a stay at Tawara-ya or Hiiragi-ya should be on the list.
At the other end of the spectrum, the Holiday Inn near Kansai airport is well under US$100 a night, so I'm going to try it when I visit Osaka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.