Wiki Posts
Search

A poll -- cheapest fare ever purchased

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 1998, 8:34 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

A poll -- cheapest fare ever purchased

Megamiles mentioned in another posting that the NW Mystery fares would have to be under $25 for him to be interested. Have any of you ever flown for a very low fare?

I'll start the ball rolling...I have purchased and flown on $22 tickets (one way) from Seattle to Spokane (232 miles)when Southwest and Horizon get into a fare war. But the absolute best deal I ever got was Seattle to Oakland when Southwest Airlines first offered service to Seattle in 1994. They offered a round trip fare including taxes of $52 for this flight PLUS a free round trip voucher good only during the next month.
Old Nov 17, 1998, 8:48 am
Original Member

I'm not sure the Seattle-Spokane trip was such a good deal. That's less than a full tank of gas ($15?) and four hours of driving. It probably took that long (door to door) to fly. The Seattle-Oakland-Seattle trip, on the other hand, was a GOOD deal.
Old Nov 17, 1998, 8:57 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

philforest,

Logic would tell you that driving would be cheaper but when you consider driving over Snoqualmie Pass in the winter, getting out of your car to put on tire chains while hoping there isn't an avalanche (Rudi will understand this one) while you are on the side of the road with frozen and bleeding fingers trying to get the chains on your filthy tires...

I always fly to Spokane. However, I never fly to Portland which is 3 hours away. With airport parking and delays, it's always easier to drive. And Portland (PDX) cost $90+ round trip.

Old Nov 17, 1998, 9:05 am
Original Member

MA - It would be interesting to do this as a 'cost per distance' exercise. I have heard of November airfares to Europe for as little as $99. At the moment BA is running a promotion where for $399 you fly to London & spend three nights in a hotel (December).

Old Nov 17, 1998, 9:52 am
Original Member

Great prompt. And, do I have a doozy to report!

Of course, this was four thousand years ago when I was living in Manhattan . . . in fact, it was during the days of People Express (anyone remember?). The National Gallery in Washington, D.C. was hosting an exhibit of El Greco paintings never before seen in one place (not even in the Prado). My husband and I were dying to see it. We also were destitute graduate students living hand-to-mouth.

SOLUTION: People Express was offering weekend fares NYC-D.C. (it was even the National airport, not far-away Dulles) for $19 each way. So, that was $38 each round trip! We flew down early on a Saturday morning and returned that same night so we didn't have to pay for a hotel room.

Since then, I've traveled quite a lot but this trip -- this single-day flying holiday to see fabulous paintings, lunch picnic style on the mall and see the cherry trees in bloom (yes, it was April) -- was pure magic!

Thank you People Express!
Old Nov 17, 1998, 11:05 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Ok, do any of you remember just after the Gulf War when BA sold 10,000 seats in Europe (ditto America's) for £10 each to any destination in the world?

It was billed as the "Biggest Give-Away in the world", well I got a return LHR to JFK for £10.

Ok, I never used it in the end, but I got it all the same.

The aim was to encourage air travel after no-one was travelling following the Gulf War (oops Conflict).
MF

Old Nov 17, 1998, 11:10 am
Commander Catcop

I remember Peoples Express and once my neighbor took them EWR (from the original
Newark Airport terminal) to Houston for 79 dollars, round trip. The terminal was lined
with bags all over the place, people sprarled
out all over the place waiting for some cheaper air fare offer. She was old, saw the small plane and immediately had a panic attack. The crew let me walk her on the plane, sit her down and calm her down. (this also the days before intense security!) I
hit my head going out of the plane.

The People's Express area looked like Beijing
airport, absolute chaos! Also remember Braniff? And Freddie Laker's airline (I was
only a child when these airlines were in business so I don't know of their service.)

My most recent cheap airfare: 159 dollars roundtrip on Delta Escapes to Vegas. I don't
remember much more because it was a bunch of guys going to Vegas for a guy's weekend but
the airfare made up for some losses at the blackjack table! CATMAN
Old Nov 17, 1998, 11:37 am
Original Member

I have flown twice Newark to London on the $99.00 each way fare (plus tax). Last year my family (2 adults) three children flew, The total with tax was around $1,400. We took a voluntary bump...were delayed 12 hours and got a $400.00 credit each, for a total of $2,000. The first weekend in December my wife and I are using the last $400.00 on a $312.00 fare costing us $112 each, r/t..and hoping for another bump
Old Nov 17, 1998, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-Orlando (4434 miles) $144
LAX-Hong Kong (14494 miles) $399
LAX-London (10912 miles) $299

The above were all non-stops on United. Could earn even more miles for the same price by going through connecting cities. Miles earned are actual flown R/T, and do not include bonues!
Old Nov 17, 1998, 12:29 pm
Original Member

DAL-SAT $38 R/T WN
DAL-TUL $38 R/T WN
DAL-HOU $38 R/T WN

About 10 years ago it cost me more to park my car at Love Field, than I paid for some air fares on Southwest.
Old Nov 17, 1998, 7:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
The Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas in Hawaiian) fares are always a good deal since we have to fill up the planes that need to fly back to the mainland. I got a HNL-SEA return trip for $149 the first year (1988) that I lived here.
Old Nov 18, 1998, 1:00 am
Original Member

I remember People Express! What an airline! Flying out of Newark which was a really depressing airport. All cement blocks painted gray and pink if I recall correctly. At that time, the "meals" were sandwiches served in styrofoam baskets. Funny thing is, not too long ago, on AA, we picked up our "meals" from a cart located just past the boarding gate on the way in. It reminded me of the old People Express days.
Old Nov 18, 1998, 5:45 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Late 70's. Braniff LAX/GIG (Rio). $159 RT. Horribly painted (multi-colored) 747. Leather seats. And they put me in first class on the way home because the plane was full in back...

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end, we -- oh well, you get the picture!
Old Nov 18, 1998, 6:04 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
My memories of People's Express are not fond.

Flight from EWR to MSP. There was something a little "off" with the plane. For one thing, there was the slight wiff of exhaust fumes in the air system.

The biggest problem was a slightly mis-adjusted autopilot - rather than keeping the aircraft level, it kept it almost level. We would pitch up about one degree, then down about one degree. Barely noticable at the start of the flight, but after three hours it was like being strapped into a roller coaster. At least half of the passengers (including myself) made use of the airsick bags.

Since then, I've stayed with the majors, and only fly cheap when I use cupons or specials on them.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 1998, 10:11 am
Original Member

RiceChex: Todays's meals are also served out of bags. Especially on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.