Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top-Tier Status: American or United

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Top-Tier Status: American or United

I'll be moving very shortly to New York, glad that I will be out of Northwest's fortress.

Reviewing all my flying habits for my new job, American or United will be my regular airline, since I'll be flying lots all around the nation, incl ORD, plus around the globe.

I want to hear people's opinons about the benefits (published and otherwise) as an Executive Platinum on American and/or United Airlines 1K. Plus, opinions on the carriers in general.

I just spoke with a friend who returned from a trip in the new AA suite product, and she said that in her opinion it was far better than United's suite. Plus, AA will be adding legroom to 60+ inches in Business Class; something UA will not be doing.

Most of my domestic travel will be in Y-Fares, while overseas will be in F or J. I understand that AA has unlimited, non-capacity controlled, confirmable at time of booking upgrades on Y fare, while UA does not. Does this make a difference? If, on UA, you never run out of certs and can still always confirm the upgrades, the AA benefit is not important.

How are AA benefits vs. UA benefits on the OneWorld and Star Alliances? I know that you can't earn miles on BA overseas, but I'm ok with that.

What is the general treatment/benefits/quality of these two carriers, compared to each other.

NWAPlatinum
MSP soon to be NYC!
Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NWAPlatinum, you might want to start off by becoming familiar with the basic published and unpublished perks of United's 1K level by visiting the Premier Executive 1K section of The Unofficial United Help Desk.

You may also want to check out the Award and Upgrade Centers there to see some of United's methods of operations in this regard.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:22 pm

There's lot's of information and opinions regarding top tier status on both the AA and UA boards.

My personal preference is AA, particularly with all of the UA problems this year.

Contact AAdvantage customer service and you can probably get comped to Platinum. Comps to Executive Platinum are rare, if they happen at all, although many have tried.

In my opinion, the EXP desk provides the best overall telephone support and service.

As an EXP, you receive four VIP-2 systemwide upgrade certificates each year. These are not capacity controlled and confirmable at booking.

Electronic upgrades are earned based on flight activity or may be purchased. They are space available. EXP may request upgrades to the next class of service at booking but the upgrades begin to clear at the 100 hour before flight time EXP window (72 hours for Platinum and 24 hours for Gold).

On Y fare tickets, EXP receive complementary upgrades to next class of service, but the are subject to the same 100 hour upgrade window as electronic upgrades.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I did previously review the published benefits of the two airlines (the official sites and that of PremEx).

I did review their boards for info specific to EP/1K, and for general airline opinions. It can be really hard, though, since people complain a lot more than they complement. If you read all the complaints on the UA board, they sound worse than a 3rd world carrier, but I think that good things are rarely mentioned.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
If you read all the complaints on the UA board, they sound worse than a 3rd world carrier well ... the world-ranking by airlines preferences (speaking/thinking service wise) could well rank US-carriers only 3rd or even much higher
Old Oct 15, 2000, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An excellent observation, NWAPlatinum! And I really admire the careful and logical way you are gathering info in order to make your decision.

One more thing, though I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that bonus miles on AA count towards elite qualification/re-qualification? I do know that on AA bonus miles count towards Million Mile status.

You could look at this as a plus (quicker to elite or Million Mile on AA) or as a negative (United's being harder to acheive makes it more rare and special and less "competitive" on UA).

Just something to think about.

Also, there has been some rumor about United introducing a new Business Class product in the near future. Perhaps this will compare to AAs?

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 10-15-2000).]
Old Oct 15, 2000, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Bonus miles on AA do not count towards elite status, only flying miles (except when 500 for a segment is the minimum), but they do count towards lifetime gold or platinum by going into the total pot.

------------------
DtG
Old Oct 15, 2000, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
And another distinction to consider: miles on Oneworld partners earn AA elite status bonus miles unlike the UA practice with respect to most *A partners.

Another: UA has lost its 1K edge on domestic upgrade certificate collection, having now joined the AA "electronic age". BUT, UA upgrade cert requirements are point to point vice AA's per segment. 5 certs for cross country versus AA's 6 on connections. Check out your own flying routes to see if that makes a material difference.

Flying Oneworld this past week and touching JFK, LHR, and OSL, I found my lowly sapphire status recognized as significant by several gate agents, lounge CSRs, etc. Have not felt any significance attached to *GOLD. Perhaps that signals better recognition abroad with EP?
Old Oct 15, 2000, 6:17 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
It may not be the best time to compare... you never know what problems AA may have next compared to UA...
But UA does have an extensive network and partner network... I agree they are pretty stingy on upgrades (compared to CO, NW, or US).. but hey it is the largest.

Depends what your "push buttons" are like ugprades, etc. US Chairmans Prefered I flew in Coach 2 times on 60 + flights, on UA as a 1K about 50% (not counting shuttle.. but is shuttle first, really first/??)

Old Oct 16, 2000, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Thanks

Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:45 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A tough choice, especially at this time, with the UA difficulties and potential US merger along with One World rumblings etc, but I'd give the edge to AA!

And after NWA....well...!
Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:51 pm

Even though I don't have any advice for you NWA, but I think AA is better than UA for the simple fact that AA is based in Texas, and eventually AA will be my main airline, since moving to DFW area is inevitable if you are in the Telecom business.

Al
Old Oct 16, 2000, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
I think it's worth at least a mention: are you giving CO consideration as well?

Advantages:

- Unlimited domestic upgrades at no cost to you (no points, coupons, or miles required) on Y fares at time of purchase, at gold and platinum elite levels

- Most Gold and Platinum Elites (at least, the ones who post on this board) get very high percentage - 80-100% - of upgrades on discount fares, again with no coupons, points, or miles required

- Great international service in BusinessFirst cabin

- Hub location in EWR very convenient to some NYC addresses

- Fewer miles needed to qualify for top level elite status

- Great mileage bonus program at Platinum Elite level (125% bonus for all flights regardless of fare, and unpublished 50% bonus for using e-tickets)

Disadvantages:

- EWR has one of the worst on-time records of any airport in the US

- Even including partners, much smaller international route system than OneWorld or Star, although CO serves many European destinations from EWR

- International BusinessFirst reward travel not confirmed until 30 days before flight

- NW is a primary partner (although some would disagree with me that this is a disadvantage)

- Tri-color pasta

You wrote:

>>It can be really hard, though, since people complain a lot more than they complement.

By and large, this is not true on the CO board. Many of us find that CO delivers a consistently high level of service, and, overall, a quality product.

Again, I know it's not what you asked, but perhaps worth a look.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. One consideration is AA's equipment, lots of MD-80s with no entertainment systems. Poor widebodies transcon (although I suppose this may change, I don't know if it has already).

2. I always disliked the MD-80s when I flew AA. I flew in F a lot, though, compared to hard-to-get upgrades with UA.

3. Bottom line for me is the most direct flights from your location, that's the airline I want to fly on.

4. I would definitely consider CO if I was in NY area and if I didn't mind NW or HP (I do). CO is a great airline (except for poor policy for upgrades internationally, NW, and HP)

5. IF AA drops OneWorld, UA will offer better route network and better partners.

6. Channel 9.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
A couple more points, based on Richard's remarks:

- It's quite possible, especially when you live in a CO hub, to avoid NW altogether - unless you're traveling to Asia. I haven't flown with them for quite a while now, since my trip to Wausau, WI last year.

- CO has lots of MD 80's as well. I personally don't have any problem with them (especially since I'm always upgraded on them), but I realize lots of people do.

- Another potential downside to CO is 757 transatlantic service on some routes. If you're in BusinessFirst, it's just fine, but I think coach on a long route like that would be quite unpleasant on a 757.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.