Wiki Posts
Search

frequent flyer miles-liability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 1998, 4:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

frequent flyer miles-liability?

I am currently taking an accounting class in college, and I had a question for anyone out there. Since the definition of a liability is something the company has to pay to someone other than an owner/partner, and it is unavoidable, since frequent flyer miles are unavoidable for the airlines to pay out (legally), are they still considered a liability, or are they shown as something else on the financial statments for the airlines?

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 1998, 4:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
they consider it as liabilities (somewhere at 0.5 to 1 cent per mile).
Old Nov 16, 1998, 6:44 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
FF miles are, as Rudi correctly pointed out, a liability. However unlike the figure Rudi mentioned, airlines only value them on their balance sheet as 40 cents/1000 miles or 0.04 cents / mile.

This topic was discussed earlier this year on FlyerTalk. You should go back to the subject:

Mileage Redemption Tips by Michael Greenberg NBC
started by pgupta on 8/6/98 for more info

Although airlines do have somewhat of a liability - ff miles have absolutely no cash value - also airlines impose capacity controls - so ff awards *are avoidable* for airlines - they just have to deny awards which they can legally do (of course, at the expense of customer goodwill). My main point being is that airlines are not compelled to have award seat availability that corresponds with mileage being handed out.
I think someone already pointed out that if airlines allowed unlimited award seat redemption to Hawaii - major airlines would need extra flights just to accomodate all the requests - hence the point that are not bound to provide seats merely because they issued ff miles and placed a destination on an award chart.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been told that they book these under "Contingent Liabilities".
Old Nov 17, 1998, 1:45 am
Original Member

sorry- megamiles is correct (at least as I see in the Swissair report): it is per 1K (1'000 miles) and the rate them as 0.8 swiss cents ($0.5) per 1'000 miles.

(yes we say 1 Swiss Frank = 100 centimes)
Old Nov 17, 1998, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those darn Swiss...they have a different word for everything!
Old Nov 17, 1998, 12:55 pm
Original Member

ok PremEx, take this in our four languages:

Rappen (swiss german)
centimes (swiss french)
centissime (swiss italian)
centiaso (swiss rumantsch, spoken by about 90'000 people only, but officially our 4th language)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.