Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's official: A3XX to be built, first delivery 2005

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2000, 6:32 am
Original Poster

It's official: A3XX to be built, first delivery 2005

"Noel Forgeard, the new chief executive of Airbus, said the group had firm interest in 52
A3XX planes. He said 37 of these came from the five carriers that have announced their
interest in the plane :

-Emirates,
-Singapore,
-Air France,
-Virgin Atlantic
-and leasing firm ILFC.

Fifteen other firm expressions of interest were from three other airlines."
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2000...rbus_dc_3.html

------------------
check it out : The Airline First and Business Class Service Reviews web site at
http://www.stormloader.com/havane/sl...roduction.html
Old Jun 23, 2000, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Great website with the descriptions of the different first & business class. Since I have experienced international first class only once (back when Delta still had a separate first class but there sure weren't any sleeper suites), I have only heard of what the front of the bus looks like, but never really seen it (except for quick envyous glances through the curtain).Just to be able to see the different products and compare what the different airlines call first/business shows that there is a HUGE difference.

I've always wanted to be able to compare different products quickly w/out having to keep searching through all the airlines' different sites.

It just makes me even more envyous about flying up at the front of the bus. One day....

Regarding the Airbus a3xx, I doubt that the airlines are going to put such luxurious amenities as a spa, nursery, conference rooms, etc. on the plane. Luxurious amenities make for great marketing and look great for PR, but from an economical point of view, not very likely.

Since only the first class passengers will most likely be allowed to use the in-flight spa, the price increase to a 1st class seats needed to justify a spa is not realistic. Also, on an average flight, how many business travelers are traveling with enough companions to justify an in-flight conference room? Will an airline put in a conference room just so that a business traveler has extra room to spread out their work? Unlikely. Since at least 1/2 of the "business route" flights are at night, who is going to be using the conference room at night? Again, I believe that the increased seat cost needed to justify taking out seats (which are revenue producers) and replacing them with spas and conference centers (which are marginal revenue producers at best) will be hard to pass along to the flying public. Since we all know that the airlines are out there to make a profit, those of us back in the back of the bus will not be able to partake of any such luxuries. 500+ of us will be packed in like sardines along with the 10 1st class and 46 business class seats.

To a certain degree, the skies have an unlimited amount of space for more and more planes to fly in. The planes just have to fly different (and maybe not as efficient or quick routes such as JFK to LHR via the south atlantic ) or polar routes over Canada & Russia. The limiting factor for major international hub airports (LHR, JFK, Tokyo etc.) will be the number of landing slots and gates that are available at any one time for an airplane to arrive, load and unload passengers, and depart. It doesn't do any good to have a 500 passenger plane idling away at JFK with no where to go and unload. With the extra time needed to deplane passengers, clean and cater, and board a 500+ seat monster, an airline could have brought in and turned around a couple of 777's or a340's. An a3xx just won't be able to be turned around as quickly as needed. In the future, airlines will even more so need to quickly turn around their planes and make efficient use of their fixed number of gates (think Southwest). Just think of the mess boarding 500+ passengers will be?

Needless to say, if the a3xx comes to fruition, I will definately try to fly it just to experience it b/c it sounds pretty exciting.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 06-23-2000).]
Old Jun 23, 2000, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by onedog:
Great website with the descriptions of the different first & business class.
Thank you, Thank you. En avant-premiere, I'll be introducing soon menus of all airlines displayed on the site... (courtesy of Carfield). Stay tuned !

------------------
check it out : The Airline First and Business Class Service Reviews web site at
http://www.stormloader.com/havane/sl...roduction.html
Old Jun 23, 2000, 5:26 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I wasn't around back when the 747's had lounges upstairs, but we all know what happened to them. Luxury was nice for a while, but price pressure forced them to turn this area into real seating.

Aircraft are *not* cruise ships, where you can just add luxury at will, and make the ship bigger. Just to keep it flying you've got to expend fuel -- and although it seems cool, lounges, spas, etc. are not an efficient or very smart use of that fuel which we take take for granted so easily.

Oh, I don't like SUVs either...

Old Jun 23, 2000, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Read my thread nearby on larger restrooms on CURRENT planes!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 06-23-2000).]
Old Jun 24, 2000, 6:41 am

I'm waiting for the aircraft that will do New York<>Toyko in 4 hours. The purpose of air travel, I believe, is to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. I just don't see the logic in delivering 500 people a pop to a destination without having a corresponding decrease in flight time.

Just a comment from someone that has been in the last middle seat on a full flight.
Old Jun 24, 2000, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'd change that to "in a reasonably short amount of time." There are tradeoffs between speed and other cost factors, especially fuel. As you approach the speed of sound closer than the Mach .85-.9 or so that every modern jet aircraft (except the Concorde) cruises at, the power needed goes WAY up. Exceed it, and fuel consumption goes through the roof as do aircraft design requirements. That's why the Concorde, aside from sonic boom issues, is a losing economic proposition even at a surcharge over subsonic first class. You just can't go faster at reasonable cost. The number of people who will pay many times the subsonic fare to save a few hours is tiny.

That's why airliner speeds, again excepting the Concorde, haven't increased significantly since the 707. The technology just doesn't scale linearly in that direction. If you could make airplanes 20% faster for 20% more cost, or even 50% more cost, people would have done it - but you can't.
Old Jun 24, 2000, 2:20 pm

I'm traveling the day after tomorrow from Houston to Cape Town via London (have to take this route to meet with an associate there) and was just daydreaming .
Old Jun 24, 2000, 2:49 pm

First delivery 2005????
We have just got to have a sweepstake! Last bids 31/7/00, for the first commercial flight (i.e. paying passangers):

My guess is 13/8/2007!

Robert.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 1:07 am
SK

Originally posted by Efrem:
That's why airliner speeds, again excepting the Concorde, haven't increased significantly since the 707.
Indeed. Actually they have decreased. One can find the exact data, but I recall that most of today's airliners, with the exception of the 747, travel at distinctly lower speeds than the 707, not to mention the Convair 990, the fastest subsonic airliner.

------------------
"Ex Uno Plures"
Old Jun 26, 2000, 4:45 pm

The solution for the cost of going faster is to go ABOVE the atmosphere. Obviously this has different problems, but once we solve them, we can go a lot faster for cheaper. cf. http://www.xprize.org
Old Jun 26, 2000, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re the Concorde, many of us forget this first flew in 1967 .... 33 years ago!

There are FANTASTIC low priced specials often up on www.concorde.co.uk - usually half the already cheap Goodwood Travel prices ... worth checking out if you even visitng the UK. Trips to Egypt, Greeenland, Petra etc.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 6:30 pm
Original Member

I am pretty sure that concorde is now profitable for BA (in terms of day to day operation) - although the UK government did write off the development and purchase costs and if that had not happened it would make a huge loss.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 12:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
I'll say "cattle," you say "car." "Cattle"..."Car"..."Cattle car"
Now in unison, let's all say...
mmmooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I'll believe the "boarding more passengers in a shorter amount of time" when I see it. But, as a Boeing shareholder and American citizen, it pains me to see US flag carriers such as US put thier trust in Airbus. Just about every Airbus airframe has been developed and marketed at heavy Euro government subsidies.

I guess since US Airways expects the fed (read that to mean you and I) to bail them out when they run out of operating cash, buying from a European supplier is par for the course. Steve Wolf and company never cease to amaze me, even in the land of Bank of America and First Union!
Old Jul 6, 2000, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Benefit is for REAL long haul airlines.

Thats where the "flight" time will be saved.

Qantas is about to order 10 it seems. To now fly to Europe or USA east coast from Syd, Qantas MUST have one stop even on Jumbo 747's.

That chews up abpout 2-3 real lost hours with flight path deviations, slow down for landing pattern, messing about on ground, and getting out of BKK, SIN, LAX, SFO, etc and then flying onwards.

The new plane will do those flights NON-STOP. Thats 20 hours to London, not 24!
Hardly Concorde, but hey, I've done these routes dozens of times, and 4 hours shaved off is a real dream to lust after!

These monster things also are same width as 747 I understand so can apparently use all the existing standard airbridges and gates.

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 07-06-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.