Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm a virgin so be gentle !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2000, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm a virgin so be gentle !

My wife and I love to travel but are certainly not seasoned veterans.

We want to start taking advantage of Frequent Flier programs, etc. but need advice on which ones offer the best rewards.

Any suggestions ? Commnets ? Help ?

I've looked at one from CapitalOne Bank. It offers a ticket for 18,000 points/dollars spent (restricted travel zones), no blackouts, any major airline, no seat restrictions, $ 19.00 annual fee, 5000 bonus points for an initial balance transfer.

I can't find any information on whether the points expire.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 8:27 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Stay away from those cards. They don't earn miles, just points towards tickets that they buy. Get a Visa card on the airline that you will fly the most (depending on where you live and where you fly) and a free Starwood American Express Card. And concentrate all your flying on one (or fewer!) carriers. Get above a certain level and you will start earning double miles for each flight flown.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
To add to freakflyer's suggestion, if you are not sure what airline you want to fly the most, I would suggest getting a Diners Club. Their program is so much more flexible than American Express' Membership Rewards program. You can also transfer miles to frequent flyer (FF) accounts that are not in your name, e.g., your wife's FF account. Cheers!
Old Mar 28, 2000, 10:53 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
AusTX,

Actually the Starwood card is FREE, gives miles in almost all major carriers and you get a 25% bonus for cashing in 20,000 miles. Diners is a great card, but the Starwood Card is accepted in many more places, is cheaper, and lets you earn more miles.
Old Mar 29, 2000, 2:08 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Aaahhhh. I remember my first time. I had to have my hand held because I was afraid. We were going up and down in a random fashion. It felt so powerful, yet gentle. Oh yes, how I remember my first plane ride - it was so bumpy.
Old Mar 29, 2000, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Thankyou AusTXHiker, freakflyer, and IsleTraveller for making my first experiance
a memorable one.

I'm taking your tips to heart and will look into these programs.
Old Mar 29, 2000, 7:21 am

You should look at the threads about Visa/MC/Diners and AX.

The main problems with non airline credit cards:
1)Your free ticket is capped at a certain $amount---if your ticket is above that amount, you pay the difference. This could be very costly if you want to travel at the last minute or do not have a Saturday night stay.
2)You don't always get to travel on the airline of your choice.
3)Any changes to your award travel tickets are governed by the fare rules, not FF mile rules---this would be very costly to do.
Old Mar 29, 2000, 7:38 am
Original Member

The other big problem with the non-airline credit card programs is that you can't combine spending miles with airline and other participant miles. So with one of those cards you have to earn the whole ticket from your spending. Whereas if you spend 15000, fly 5000 miles and get 5000 miles from hotels and car rentals, and other things (like online spending from Clickrewards that you can transfer into your airline account) you can add all of those things TOGETHER to get the award you want.

Plus all of the problems noted above.
Old Apr 7, 2000, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well my opinion here differs from the consensus. While all the things said regarding the non-affinity cards is true, I still carry and use one frequently. The reason is that the tickets I get through it also earn me ff and status miles on the airline I'm flying. I will add though that you need to balance this out, because these card award tickets are very restrictive like mentioned. I get up to a $500 ticket for $20,000 of spending on the visa (domestic US flight, other options available). The key is that I usually have enough ff miles in my airline programs to get award tickets also for that last min/non-sat stay etc. The card tickets have the advantage of having no blackout dates as the airline awards do, just a $ cap. I also charge a fair amount on the non-affinity card ($25-30K/yr many of them business expenses). I combine my ff miles with the points in my Diners account, to give me plenty of options. So I usually first try to use the card award option, if that doesnt work try to get a standard airline award ticket, if all else fails go for the airline rule buster program. So I guess my strategy is to go for flexibility to get around as many restrictions/capacity controls etc. The non-affinity card tickets help me get elite status, since I don't travel on many long flights for work and am usually on the borderline.

I would also add that the Diners card is a good deal for the first year especially since they are giving 12,000 bonus miles for the $80 annual fee (in the US at least). These are great for topping off accounts as mentioned above. Of course if you don't have any family friends with Diners get someone in here to refer you, I would be happy to.

So my advice is if you think you will be able to earn lots of reward tickets leave yourself flexible with multiple options. If you think you will have a difficult time getting award tickets it is probably best to combine all your efforts into one airline account and go with their affinity card.
Old Apr 7, 2000, 3:00 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As freakflyer says, Starwood Optima is tough to beat- 25k miles & a free ticket for only 20k spent and no fee with flexibility!
Old Apr 10, 2000, 11:24 am

Can someone explain the non-affinity card thing to me again?
Old Apr 10, 2000, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
There are basically two kinds of Visa, MC and Optima credit cards that let you earn free travel: affinity and non-affinity.

Affinity cards are affiliated with a specific airline or hotel chain. Their logo is on the card. You earn points for charges, typically one FF mile per dollar charged with most airline cards. These become program miles just like any other miles. Once they're in the pool, you can't tell a mile you got for buying groceries from a mile you got for flying. You redeem them for awards per the airline's or chain's published schedule.

The major affinity MC/Visa credit cards are for AA and UA. Optima is available for Delta, Starwood and Hilton. This is not a complete list.

Non-affinity cards track your spending in their own books. Once you have enough points they'll buy you an award ticket. Since they have to pay the airline real $$ for it, they cap its price. None of those transcontinental last-minute $2,000 tickets for 25,000 miles! You also can't use them for things like upgrades, which can be a very cost-effective use of airline miles. OTOH, under ideal conditions and if the ticket you want would otherwise be inexpensive, you can often earn it more quickly with one of these programs than with an airline program, and you're not restricted to a single airline and its partners. These are available in MC and Visa from several banks.

Diners Club works like a non-affinity card in that it keeps your points in its own records and lets you redeem them for awards under its own program, but you can transfer them into airline programs. Then they act like affinity card points in that they have turned into real program miles.

AmEx is similar, but the list of airlines whose programs you can transfer points into is limited. (No AA, though you can get some awards on AA by putting them into USAir.) They have the Membership Rewards Plus option ($35/year, if memory serves) which adds an option much like a non-affinity card for them to get you tickets on other airlines. (Don't confuse "real AmEx" with Optima. It is issued by American Express but works like MC/Visa.)

There are other ways of moving points around, most of which involve going into and out of Hilton Optima, but you lose a lot of value in the process. These are worth considering only as a last resort if you have miles that are about to expire (less of an issue now than it was a year ago) or you need just a few points somewhere to make up the total for an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.