Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do points for multiple people on an itinerary work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:53 am
Original Poster

I've never booked a multi-person itinerary before and I'd like to maximize points earnings for a few upcoming trips.
If I book/pay for tickets with 2/3 people on it, do I get 2/3x points, or would we be better off booking as three individuals paying separately?

I booked an itinerary with Scoot, and they asked about each person's FF account, implying they get points, but I'd instead aggregate the points to my account.

If it helps, these are the airlines I'm curious about.
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Singapore Airlines
  • Emirates
  • Qatar
  • Qantas
  • Korean
This is more of a 'theory' rather than a practical question. I'm interested in how couples/families approach this if they have flexibility.
I'm aware I could go through the booking process for each airline, but I'm also hoping for tips/tricks from the community.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The points go to the passenger, not the payer.

That is the core principle of frequent flyer and frequent guest programs. Because many flights and stays, especially for business travel, are paid with other people's money (OPM).
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
I've never booked a multi-person itinerary before and I'd like to maximize points earnings for a few upcoming trips.
If I book/pay for tickets with 2/3 people on it, do I get 2/3x points, or would we be better off booking as three individuals paying separately?

I booked an itinerary with Scoot, and they asked about each person's FF account, implying they get points, but I'd instead aggregate the points to my account.

If it helps, these are the airlines I'm curious about.
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Singapore Airlines
  • Emirates
  • Qatar
  • Qantas
  • Korean
This is more of a 'theory' rather than a practical question. I'm interested in how couples/families approach this if they have flexibility.
I'm aware I could go through the booking process for each airline, but I'm also hoping for tips/tricks from the community.
Some of your airlines are frequent flyer partners. So, depending on the fare booking class, may earn ff miles/avios/points to 1 account. Like BA or AA.
Also BA & QR use avios as the ff currency. Subject to t&c avios, but not status, may transferred, at no cost, between the airline ffp. Look in the BA forum.
BA have a "household account". Look in the BA forum.
QR also has a very poor "household account". Far better to use BA's.
Oneworld https://www.oneworld.com/
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Qatar
  • Qantas

A broad guide to ff partners--> https://www.wheretocredit.com/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 12, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QR also has a very poor "household account". Far better to use BA's.
What makes QRs household account worse compared to BAEC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.