Search

Help finding Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Hertz
Help finding Award Travel

Hi all,

I'm going to mexico for new years and was hoping to find someone who can help me identify what the best award booking would be for my return flight on Jan 4. flying from SJD-AUS and I have AMEX points along with Chase points.

AA would charge 65k miles for each person which seems steep, are there better ways to look for award travel? sorry if this is the wrong post.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by BEM80; May 30, 2019 at 11:11 am Reason: SDJ to SJD Cabo
Old May 30, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BEM80
Hi all,

I'm going to mexico for new years and was hoping to find someone who can help me identify what the best award booking would be for my return flight on Jan 4. flying from SDJ-AUS and I have AMEX points along with Chase points.

AA would charge 65k miles for each person which seems steep, are there better ways to look for award travel? sorry if this is the wrong post.

Thanks in Advance
Check your airport codes: SDJ is Sendai, Japan. Did you mean SJD?

Note that AA is not an Amex or Chase transfer partner; UA is a Chase partner, and Amex has several Star Alliance transfer partners that can secure lowest-tier award seats on UA flights. You can check UA award availability at united.com. Caution: UA now offers their Saver awards at various mileage-redemption rates. If the lowest Saver rate is not available, I don't think that you will be able to redeem partner miles for those flights, only MileagePlus miles.

Also, check for cash fares on the return: both Amex and Chase have travel portals, through which you can redeem their respective points.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, Hertz
Originally Posted by guv1976
Check your airport codes: SDJ is Sendai, Japan. Did you mean SJD?

Note that AA is not an Amex or Chase transfer partner; UA is a Chase partner, and Amex has several Star Alliance transfer partners that can secure lowest-tier award seats on UA flights. You can check UA award availability at united.com. Caution: UA now offers their Saver awards at various mileage-redemption rates. If the lowest Saver rate is not available, I don't think that you will be able to redeem partner miles for those flights, only MileagePlus miles.

Also, check for cash fares on the return: both Amex and Chase have travel portals, through which you can redeem their respective points.
You are absolutely correct. Flying into SJD Cabo San Lucas. I will check United.com right now. I fly American but was thinking BA or avios are cheaper potentially? Will check united as I have silver and if I can use points that'd be way better than paying.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BEM80
You are absolutely correct. Flying into SJD Cabo San Lucas. I will check United.com right now. I fly American but was thinking BA or avios are cheaper potentially? Will check united as I have silver and if I can use points that'd be way better than paying.
The only AA award flights for which you can redeem Avios are those offered at the MileSAAver level at aa.com; I'm pretty sure that 65K AA miles per ticket is not a MileSAAver award.

It looks like Southwest offers a seasonal SJD-AUS nonstop. You might want to price that flight, if it operates on your day of travel.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:05 am

Moving to forum that discusses using AMEX and Chase points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.