Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Sign up on FF program when using Delta and/or KLM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALL Black Limitless | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Ambassador | Avis President's Club

Hey guys,

I have a whole set of flights booked via Delta and KLM, and was wondering what the best program was to sign up to to get the most out of my miles - generally transatlantic flights. So I'm looking for the best way on how to get to a tier status above the basic status.

As far as I'm aware they use the Flying Blue program? And the Skymiles alliance?

Best to sign up via Delta? KLM? Air France?

Or directly Flying Blue? Skymiles?

Thanks

P.S. Maybe I should also add that I do intend to transfer my miles to an AAdvantage program at a later date...don't know if that would make a difference as to my choice now at this point in time..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Delta and KLM are partners through the Skyteam alliance.

Delta's program is called Skymiles -- you can see the rate at which you can earn miles with their Skyteam partners here. Note that all paid economy tickets earn 100% base mileage and give 100% MQMs (the statue miles).

KLM and AirFrance have the Flying Blue program. There's no earning chart, but some discounted economy tickets earn less than 100% (as low as 25%). If you are flying mostly discounted economy tickets, Flying Blue would not be a good program.

Off the bat, I would say that signing up for Delta Skymiles and crediting to them would be best, but it would be helpful if we knew about your travel habits (what is your home airport? what do you want to do with your miles? how often do you travel each year?). If your travel is this year (before 12/31/11), you must fly 25,000 miles to achieve Silver Medallion status on Delta, which gives basic perks like free checked baggage, 25% award mileage bonus (not status miles), ability to select preferred seats such as exit rows, and potential for domestic upgrades when flying Delta. The counter resets to 0 on 1/1/2012. Keep in mind that if you are flying mostly trans-atlantic, the only benefits that are very useful are the 25% mileage bonus and 25% off Economy Comfort on Delta flights (basically more legroom and free drinks). If you hit 50,000 miles on Delta, you will have Gold Medallion status, which allows lounge access when flying internationally.

Also, you cannot transfer any miles earned on these flights, whether credited to Delta or Air France, to AAdvantage, which is operated by American Airlines. Even if they were in the same alliance (which they are not), miles are not transferrable between airlines.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALL Black Limitless | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Ambassador | Avis President's Club
Thanks amolkold.

Well my home airport would be BRU (Brussels). And my travelling will be mainly to the US, with several trips to South East Asia too.

The tickets that I have been given so far (flying on Delta and KLM) are with the lowest classes/discount economy. However, I have arranged that I will be booking own tickets in the future, so can then opt for a higher class given more level miles.

Given this info and new tips are more than welcome, as well as to those who are quite knowledgeable on KLM/Air France/Delta and can answer the first questions in the thread )

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:39 am

Since your goal seems to be having miles in AAdvantage, is there a reason you are not signing up with that program directly? Seems you can make it to mid tier elite easily, that'll help you earn 2X RDM.

I think AA flies to Chicago and New York from BRU so you can do that and use one of OW or AA partners to goto Asia.(I would assume BA would work. Even Jet might work if you want SE Asia via India, If Gulf or Ethiad fly there that would work too).

If any of your flying doesn't work then sign up for Delta and credit all SK miles there.

Last edited by ooodaveb; Oct 26, 2011 at 7:45 am
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Later I will, but at the moment I have a whole set of flights pre-booked (non-refundable) on Delta and KLM..hence the question as to what to sign up to with these for the moment..SkyMiles, Flying Blue, and then via which airline?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Do you know the actual fare code for the tickets you purchased? That would help us in making a recommendation as some fares earn <100% on certain programs.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

R and L..

So as far as I'm aware, not going to earn that much with these..though I am flying several TA flights, so that will definitely give a nice boost. Looking to see how I can maximize these purchased fares.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ooodaveb
I think AA flies to Chicago and New York from BRU
AA has just recently cancelled the Chicago flight (I forget effective when), so starting soon, it'll only be New York that AA will fly to from BRU (in a narrowbody "75L" plane with both economy and business class).

But the OP can use AA's partner BA to fly the quick hop BRU-LHR and then transfer to a number of AA's LHR-to-US flights, and credit all that to AA.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Synthesis
Later I will, but at the moment I have a whole set of flights pre-booked (non-refundable) on Delta and KLM..hence the question as to what to sign up to with these for the moment..SkyMiles, Flying Blue, and then via which airline?
I would choose Delta, not just because you may get more, but because you can keep them.

Flying Blue miles expire after 20 months if you don't fly an airline that you can credit to Flying Blue (and do so). So if you plan to switch to AA later, you could easily lose everything you earn on these flights you've already booked.

On the other hand, Delta miles expiration (if reinstated*) can be extended with any activity, including hotel stays, rental cars, etc (to name activities that would work even for someone based in the EU; they also have a US shopping program, a US dining program, etc, but I'm not sure if you could use those without a US address).

*Recently Delta suspended miles expiration. But I would not rule out them possibly bringing it back at some point. So if you do earn Delta miles but stop flying Delta and its partners, do keep up on whether they've brought back expiration or not. (And, at any rate, too much time of no activity can cause an account to be closed, even if miles don't expire per se.)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
how many flown mi in a whole set?....thats a new term for me....

or just list the flights....perhaps other ideas will come up with the info....

in any case, i would put them all on 1 program.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.