Wiki Posts
Search

Old Miles Redemption Requirements

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 1999, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Old Miles Redemption Requirements

A call to Aadvantage desk disclosed that the award requirements using "old miles," those that had no expiration time, remain as they were when those miles were earned. For example, two coach RTs to Europe cost 60K miles. Similar requirements apply to other awards. Interesting. I don't think they, AA, advertise this policy but it sure helps Nate and his sidekick who have 700K+ of the old miles and would benefit all others who have "no expiration" miles - if it is accurate and not an "agent error."
Old Dec 31, 1999, 4:35 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Last time I checked, TWA also offered this option - perhaps they all do. Two years ago I used 65K old miles to go to Europe in first with a companion upgrade to first from the lowest econo fare. Had those have been "new" miles it would have cost 120K.
Old Dec 31, 1999, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Congrats on hanging onto 700K of the "old" AA miles... that's very valuable currency! Check the old award schedule... you might even be able to get the old 50K Hawaii First Class and an Upgrade award.

This policy has been in effect ever since AA started making miles expire many years ago. It's why these miles are separately identified on the statements. When redeeming miles for "new" awards, AA first uses miles subject to expiration, with the oldest used first, and only uses "old" miles when there aren't any "new" miles left to use.
Unfortunately, after all this time, with my general philosophy regarding miles of "use 'em before the airline devalues 'em or goes belly-up", I only have about 8K "old" miles left.
Old Dec 31, 1999, 5:53 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
DL has the same policy ... one of the big benefits is that old miles can be used to upgrade any fare (no L-class rule).
Old Jan 1, 2000, 1:45 pm
Suspended

LETIOLE, From what I understand TWA had that policy,as of today the miles dont expire but one can only use them at the aviator-levels.The old FFB level-awards are something in the past.So am I with TWA even though I requalified for their platinum level on 12/28 it seems that DL is my new sparing partner wish me luck Ill need it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.