Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

RocketMiles Bonus Scam

RocketMiles Bonus Scam

Old Oct 18, 16, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club Carlson, BA, Hilton, Miles N More
RocketMiles Bonus Scam

Just a heads up. Rocketmiles, (a site that gives miles good on various programs if you go through their site) routinely offers bonus points. 3,000 first booking etc. They play a bit of bait and switch. If you go through their link for the bonus offer, they often just allow only more expensive hotel choices, then when you go with out using their link. So its just a warning.
Old Oct 18, 16, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nickknock1 View Post
Just a heads up. Rocketmiles, (a site that gives miles good on various programs if you go through their site) routinely offers bonus points. 3,000 first booking etc. They play a bit of bait and switch. If you go through their link for the bonus offer, they often just allow only more expensive hotel choices, then when you go with out using their link. So its just a warning.
You are paying for the bonus miles, too. When I compared Rocketmiles' rates to what I could get directly from IHG, Marriott, Hilton, etc., they were always higher. They hide a fee in "taxes and fees" which IIRC was more than 10%.

Here's an example: for a Hampton Inn, Rocketmiles wants $109 + $24 in "taxes and fees" = $133, AND it's nonrefundable.
You can book the same Hampton Inn directly through Hilton's website for $106 + $13 in taxes = $119, and it's cancelable until the day before arrival.

Some might still consider $14 in fees worth it for 1000 bonus miles. But always do your comparison shopping.

Last edited by ehallison; Oct 18, 16 at 4:49 pm
Old Oct 18, 16, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Have never booked through Rocketmiles because of the inflated room rates they quote to pass through the cost of the "bonus miles." It's no bargain IME.
Old Oct 18, 16, 7:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
I'd consider booking a 1-night stay for the 3000 mile first booking bonus (if the rate wasn't too much higher than elsewhere). However, I can't imagine using it after that since the regular 1000 miles they typically offer isn't that much more than I could get through a hotel's loyalty program which, as noted above, is cheaper and less restrictive.
Old Oct 19, 16, 6:44 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
It pays to compare, everything has a cost associated to it. Nothing new.

Search this Thread