Wiki Posts
Search

Ethical Use Of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Ethical Use Of Miles

Ok,

I am sure this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything recently.

Is it ethical to ask my father who earns a significant amount of miles/points to use his points to send me on a trip to school? I'm not asking if it's ethical to ask another person to pay my way, I'm wondering if it's ethical to use his points instead of paying cash out of my pocket?

If I can't use his points, I would be on the hook for over 600 dollars r/t. Is there anything wrong with using points to send a third party to Toronto for school.

CK
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No, your father can book a trip on behalf of anyone out of his accounts. The main thing is not to receive anything in exchange.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Ethical Use Of Miles

No ethical problem whatsoever. No one's lying, and it's one of the intended purposes of miles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not in terms of using miles, but answering the more general ethical question might depend on the relationship you have with father and whether there's an agreement about him helping (or not) to pay for your school. For example, if he's supposed to give you $10,000 for school expenses and he now gives you the plant ticket in addition, there's an argument that his cash contribution should be reduced, perhaps by $500. It could also depend on how he might otherwise use his miles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: google
It could also depend on how he might otherwise use his miles.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It depends on the frequent flyer program (FFP). Most permit redemption of awards for family members, but some do not. If you are using a FFP for a US-based airline then you're probably okay.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by arollins
The main thing is not to receive anything in exchange.
Not even a thank you?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Since this isn't specific to the introductory Information Desk, we'll move this over to MilesBuzz for now.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no ethics issue whatsoever.

Your father either uses his miles in accordance with the t&c of MP or he does not. It is a binary question.

As you have framed the very specific question, it is entirely appropriate for your father to purchase a ticket for you using his MP account.

Others will chime in with 1,000 variations of how this might violate the rules, but as your question does not contain those situations, those variations are irrelevant.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I have used points on behalf of family members many times. "Go anywhere you want in the world" is a nice graduation present for a niece or nephew. For my younger son and his wife, it was "both of you, in first class." (It became business class when they put their trip off a few years and the number of tickets went from two to three, but they enjoyed Japan.)

The one thing I caution them about is that airlines, understandably, are concerned that people might sell award tickets and tell the buyer "just say you're my nephew." As a result, airline personnel may ask people on award tickets that came from someone else's miles questions about that person. As his son, you'd know the answers to questions that a stranger wouldn't be able to answer, so this shouldn't create a problem. Just don't be surprised if it happens.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not even a thank you?
I do not think that a thank you is an exchange, but rather a courtesy.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:49 pm

This thread was a disappointment.
I was hoping for something far more entertaining.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by arollins
No, your father can book a trip on behalf of anyone out of his accounts. The main thing is not to receive anything in exchange.
Not even doing the dishes!!!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Dude. That is your dad, I don't see the problem. Make sure you show appreciation for the miles and let know how what you are using them for. If it is a boon doggle then I would probably not ask.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Unless your school is DAESH University in Raqqah, then no, you probably aren't crossing any lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.