Reload this Page >

Using airline miles for hotel nights

Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hi all

I returned from a round the world trip using 140,000 Qantas points last year. These were accrued by signing up for a number of credit cards. One learning from my trip was that my major expense was accommodation.

I did some research and came across a good strategy for getting cheap hotel nights which involves buying IHG points when they are being sold with a big bonus eg 100% and then redeeming the points under their pointsbreaks promotion. This strategy means that the effective cost of a hotel night stay is under $30 per night. The only difficulty is that the locations available tend to be smaller, lesser visited cities.

Are there any other airlines or hotel programs where you can buy miles/points very cheaply and redeem these miles/points at a discount rate such that one can effectively buy hotel rooms every cheaply, as with IHG? Are there any other way of getting hotel rooms very very cheaply?

Thanks Peterl
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Miles for cheap hotel nights

Yes - if you spend some time reading the hotel pages on FT they are full of deals similar to the airline pages. There are also a number of blogs that post frequently about hotel deals. One common strategy is getting credit cards much like you did to get airline miles. IHG has a card as does Hyatt and Hilton has several. Each offers free nights.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
... IHG has a card as does Hyatt and Hilton has several. Each offers free nights.
Indeed, but are these cards offered in Australia?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately the card options are not as plentiful in Australia.

Macquarie have a Hilton card but it is not that great value.

Citi Prestige will transfer to some hotels as will Amex MR but Airlines seem to be much better value.

I tend to end up trying to BRG most stays instead.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
@ffhound: This annual "event" is coming up...

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/ComingSoon.aspx

You might want to sign up to keep your ear to the rail. No cost to get on the mailing list, but it takes a certain disposition to enter the the fray. Unfortunately, the offerings have gotten slimmer and slimmer each year (IMO) and thus can be hit or miss as to having what you're looking for.

There is a thread about it on this board. It will become very active as the starting date approaches.

[I have no connection with them.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.