Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Earning points/miles at Amazon.com?

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

What is the most lucrative way to shop at amazon.com

I already have an amazon credit card which pays 3% cash back. Is there any other way to collect more points/miles?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last I heard Hawaiian has the only mileage mall that supports Amazon.

Some cards with rotating categories give 5x on Amazon periodically. For example, the Chase Freedom card has announced that Amazon will be one of its 5x participants in the last quarter (Oct-Dec) of this year. Chase Freedom earns Ultimate Rewards points, which cannot be redeemed for airlines/hotels if you only have that card, but there are certain other (annual fee) Chase cards that you can add which will let you transfer any points you earned with Freedom to airlines/hotels (that Ultimate Rewards supports). However, you can't apply for generic (non-partner) personal Chase cards if you applied for (more than) about 5 cards (from any banks) in the past 24 months.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Sallie Mae MasterCard (from Barclays) gives 5% cash back for groceries, gas, and book stores, and Amazon qualifies for the latter. Groceries and gas are each limited at $250/mo, and books at $750.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Last I heard Hawaiian has the only mileage mall that supports Amazon.
United has Amazon on the MPX app too.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:29 am

Funny, when originally scanning this I thought the OP was asking for help on an Amazon river vacation.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by gauravpgupta
What is the most lucrative way to shop at amazon.com

I already have an amazon credit card which pays 3% cash back. Is there any other way to collect more points/miles?

Thanks!
Discover has this quarter 5% cash back that can be on top of the givingassistant 5%.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by bamba70
Discover has this quarter 5% cash back that can be on top of the givingassistant 5%.
I.e. the Discover IT card. Not the "miles" version.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:09 pm

I shop on Amazon using Amazon gift cards from office supply store for 5x UR points using INK.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
United has Amazon on the MPX app too.
Any idea if this stacks with any of the card bonuses? It doesn't appear to with Sallie Mae
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Any idea if this stacks with any of the card bonuses? It doesn't appear to with Sallie Mae
No, you're purchasing an Amazon giftcard from United so any cards that give bonuses for Amazon.com purchases won't count. Some category bonuses might (they seem to pass along the MCC), and from what I've read AMEX treats it as United purchase (so bonuses for airline).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Sallie Mae MasterCard (from Barclays) gives 5% cash back for groceries, gas, and book stores, and Amazon qualifies for the latter. Groceries and gas are each limited at $250/mo, and books at $750.

any sign up bonus link?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vickh
any sign up bonus link?
Sallie Mae card doesn't have anything terribly exciting as far as I know. You get $25 after first purchase, I think, with no special link required.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Oct 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: All of them
I would give the contrarian advice to re-examine your spending on Amazon and see if other merchants have what you want cheaper and pay portal bonuses.

First of all, do you live in a state where Amazon collects sales tax? That right there is a 5-9% hit to your bottom line. On top of that you either have to pay for prime, or often wait 2 weeks for things to arrive.

I've discovered that I can buy pretty much everything either cheaper, or same price but without the sales tax, and get faster delivery through many other merchants. There are exceptions of course, but to me Amazon is no longer the go-to place. For electronics and photo equipment I usually buy from B&H. A recent large plumbing parts purchase was from build.com, etc..
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:34 am
HCA

Citi Forward (if you have one) also earn 5% TYP.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Just got an email from givingassistant that the 5% cash back on Amazon will be reduced to 1% from Nov 1st...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.