Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey — 2014 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread is the discussion thread for the 2014 Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk.

The survey focused on satisfaction and dissatisfaction with your ability to redeem awards below.

The results were published on July on the Frequent Business Traveler website.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results.

How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with award redemptions at the frequent flier loyalty program(s) of which you are currently a member? FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine are conducting the Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey, which will be active through June 20, 2014.

This is the latest in a series of joint surveys by FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine. Frequent Business Traveler magazine will provide the survey; FlyerTalk members will provide the opinions. While most FlyerTalk members use their miles and points for trips, satisfaction with the ability to redeem those coveted awards as desired can vary significantly.

Results of this poll will be announced by both Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk.

Additionally, you will be given the opportunity for a chance to win a piece of valuable airline memorabilia as an incentive for participating in the poll, which should only take a minute or two of your time to complete.

So — with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you very satisfied pertaining to the redemption of your hard-earned miles for award travel; and with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you least satisfied? Please vote today and let everyone know!

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Am I blind? I do not see Avianca LifeMiles listed? (Winner of 2 Freddie awards for their FF program.)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:21 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
My observations:
- beeing a mid-tier or top-tier member of a program helps a lot in securing the award seats you want (this was not so important in the past)
- partner airlines award seats in business or first class are increasingly hard to get
- fuel surcharges got insanely expensive and are a true rip-off especially targeted at award redemptions. They have reached levels where your fuel surcharge is more expensive than the full cost of fuel calculated per seat (and fuel cost always was a part of the fare calculation already).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
+1 to what ralfkrippner said.

As it pertains to "fuel" surcharges, there is also a disturbing tendency to differentiate these by cabin travelled, i.e. fleecing members redeeming in premium cabins more than those redeeming in the economy cabin, and to differentiate based on country of origin of a reward ticket (i.e. JFK-LHR-JFK has different surcharges from LHR-JFK-LHR).
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:32 pm

survey crashed

i was trying to answer question 1 and the survey crashed; i did back page to try and reload and now it says i've already completed the survey
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; Tesco Blue
British Airways Avios availability is shockingly bad, especially for Business Class cabins, and only appears to be getting worse.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
My observations:
- beeing a mid-tier or top-tier member of a program helps a lot in securing the award seats you want (this was not so important in the past)
- fuel surcharges got insanely expensive and are a true rip-off especially targeted at award redemptions.
+1 ^ My Miles & More long haul business class award fee was the same as LH´s lowest offer in whY on same day same route to Asia. Though I prefer to sit on LH´s new C seat, but I hope my award seat in business is secured (M&M *S).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
i was trying to answer question 1 and the survey crashed; i did back page to try and reload and now it says i've already completed the survey
Sorry to hear.

We haven't had any reports of the survey crashing - what was the error? If the browser closed, it was most likely not the survey but the browser itself that crashed.

If you use a different browser, you probably can take it - let us know.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Blue; UA Premier
Originally Posted by StephenC
British Airways Avios availability is shockingly bad, especially for Business Class cabins, and only appears to be getting worse.
Boy, isn't that the truth! I've been trying since January to book companion flight LAX - LHR Business or First for late October with no success at all. It's frustrating after accumulating all these Avios and not being able to use them. I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Anyone else experiencing this with BA?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:13 am

In 2010 I used 110,000 Continental points to fly from CLE to Europe and back in Bus. Class. Today that trip is 280,000 Mileage Plus points + an additional $329. (So that must be what the Plus stands for). That said, you can only find a couple days a month where you can get the real discounts. If you do get a saver award, the next screen makes it hard to get the same reward on your return flight. They work very hard to make sure you pay the most. Bah Humbug on United.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:32 am

Agreed! We are retired and can choose nearly any day or week to fly but the availability is dreadful, or I should say nonexistent, unless you wish to fly economy- then your airmiles are worth nothing, your additional taxes and fees are not far off the cost of a sale ticket. We are complaining to American Express with whom we earn miles, and to British Airways. Maybe if more of us get more vocal they may change things. I am ready to vote with my feet - or should I say seat! and am now moving towards Virgin.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:41 am

Alaska Airline's mileage plan

I'm using miles once or twice a year, sometimes with partner airlines and have yet to have a problem. I find that booking early-months in advance is important if I want to get the routes and schedules I'd like. Wait too long and you'll see the world whether you want to or not!

Delta just changed my schedule a little bit and I was contacted by Alaska both by phone and email.

We do Alaska to Puerto Vallarta annually and always have a good experience and that's booking first class.

No wonder I'm loyal.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
Originally Posted by BA Favourite Flyer
Boy, isn't that the truth! I've been trying since January to book companion flight LAX - LHR Business or First for late October with no success at all. It's frustrating after accumulating all these Avios and not being able to use them. I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Anyone else experiencing this with BA?
Booked biz class for my son from LBA - JFK via LHR in March for early July, return early August (so peak season) with not too many difficulties.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Some plans have limited benefits

Alaska Airlines offers the best program available at the present time. Ability to fly with Cathay and Emirates with virtually no fees is incredible. Just hope that no-one listens and joins or otherwise availability will fall and they might increase the cost with stupid surcharges.

BA is the worst if you are flying internationally or via LHR. However, I am gradually using up my 400,000 points by flying inside Asia or in South Africa where awards are cheap with no surcharges. Flew J class from Hong Kong to Japan really cheaply on Cathay using BA points as well (Haneda - HK).

Aeroplan is OK if you are booking well in advance and only book star partners with no surcharges (United, Air NZ, South African Airways, Swiss) but flights are hard to find and you must book with an agent as you will have to tell them the routing.

Sure wish there was some way to switch my Aeroplan, AAdvantage and BA miles to Alaskan. If anyone knows a trick to do this please let me know immediately <G>.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
I'm somewhat disappointed by the survey itself. In my mind, if they're going to ask about redemptions it should include all types, not just free flights.

Personally, I'd rather use my miles for upgrades, an experience which has declined significantly on all airlines. But that's not a question in the survey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.