FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1511786-35-points-ebags-aadvantage-mall.html)

SFOPhD Oct 13, 2013 4:44 pm

35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall

35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall through October 14
Short term crazy high bonus on eBags purchases. If you were waiting to buy something on the site, now is a good holiday weekend to do it.

xiKiNGix Oct 13, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm still waiting to receive my 20x+ bonus from eBags from a couple of months ago, freaking Cartera...

DC777Fan Oct 13, 2013 6:19 pm

35 points/$ eBags AAdvantage Mall

Sadly it looks like everything on ebags is WAY overpriced compared to Amazon. I suppose at 35mi/$ that makes up for the difference, but t doesn't put it into the category of buying something I don't need...

SFOPhD Oct 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 21602341)
Sadly it looks like everything on ebags is WAY overpriced compared to Amazon. I suppose at 35mi/$ that makes up for the difference, but t doesn't put it into the category of buying something I don't need...

Agreed. Buy only what you were seriously thinking of buying anyway. I see 35 miles per dollar as ~50 cents per dollar, assuming a conservative 1.5 cents per AA mile. 50% off ain't a bad deal.

guv1976 Oct 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by DC777Fan

Certain luggage brands (like Tumi, Briggs & Riley) are rarely discounted. Are there any brand restrictions on the 35 miles/$1 promotion? If not, then this is a great opportunity to buy some higher-end luggage.

MDWCommuter Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm

eBags.com 35x via AAdvantage eShopping

I believe this ends tomorrow, 10/14. eBags.com offering 35x when you get there via the AAdvantage eShopping portal.

Shop carefully as not everything is a deal at eBags! I spent $605 on a few pieces I was buying anyway, and will earn 21,780 AAdvantage miles (35x from eBags, 1x from Citi).

josephstern Oct 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Probably unwisely, I bought something there a few weeks ago. Haven't used it yet.

Free return shipping, so I'm returning and reordering.

I say 'unwisely' because any store that can offer this type of bonus basically has to have a huge margin.

KennyBSAT Oct 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I bought a couple of these recently - checked price for comparison and ebags is $10 higher than Amazon and others. $10 for 4060 miles is not too bad, and not that ridiculous of a margin. http://www.ebags.com/product/high-si...-straps/221656

lacuadra Oct 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 21602381)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Certain luggage brands (like Tumi, Briggs & Riley) are rarely discounted. Are there any brand restrictions on the 35 miles/$1 promotion? If not, then this is a great opportunity to buy some higher-end luggage.

Yep I bought a beautiful bag I had my eyes on. $425.00
Should be getting 14,200ish AA miles, 23.00 worth of ebags for future purchases and hopefully 5% rebate on my Discover card. No taxes or shipping.

The key is to know the product and the retail value somewhere else. Usually the brands you mentioned are the same price everywhere else. Here in FL we have a Tumi outlet but it has old merchandise and you have to pay taxes.

Took screenshot of everything !

(Rimowa is the only brand excluded)

pricesquire Oct 14, 2013 6:02 am

Tumi isn't "rarely" discounted. It's discounted (at my last count) around 6 times per year, the past 2 years. Try gilt.com or ruelala.com. Also, if you're fortunate enough to live near a Tumi outlet, you'll find tons of product at 50% off or more.

Never used a B&R bag so can't comment there.

Re: the 35 cent per dollar spent on eBags..it CAN be worth it, if: (1) you have a specific redemption in mind, or need a top off, or can't apply for another Citi card ;) AND (2) you actually need (two) new Tumis!

artemis Oct 14, 2013 6:18 am

I took advantage of this promotion to pick up a new Eagle Creek rolling duffel and a new JanSport daypack. I desperately hope the 35x points post, but if they don't at least I will have some quality luggage to show for my efforts (plus the regular FF miles I get from using my AAdvantage credit card).

Why are shopping portals so unreliable when it comes to posting points? It's a real disincentive to using them. Customers shouldn't need screenshots, etc., in order to get the points they've earned. The current portal should work reliably, or the airline/credit card program should jettison it in favor of another one which does.

guv1976 Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire

Tumi isn't "rarely" discounted. It's discounted (at my last count) around 6 times per year, the past 2 years. Try gilt.com or ruelala.com. Also, if you're fortunate enough to live near a Tumi outlet, you'll find tons of product at 50% off or more.

Never used a B&R bag so can't comment there.

Re: the 35 cent per dollar spent on eBags..it CAN be worth it, if: (1) you have a specific redemption in mind, or need a top off, or can't apply for another Citi card ;) AND (2) you actually need (two) new Tumis!

Thanks. I've occasionally seen Tumi discounted by 20% on selected styles. Have the sales you've seen been for the entire line?

sdsearch Oct 14, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 21602341)

Not only that, but it doesn't even have as good a selection as Amazon has! :td: I've been thinking of buying this Case Logic 14" Security Friendly Laptop Case on Amazon (and so have it "bookmarked" on my Wish List there), looked for it every which way at eBags (including browsing through all Case Logic as well as all Security Friendly), and it's simply not there at any price:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Sec.../dp/B007Z92RIW

DC777Fan Oct 14, 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by lacuadra (Post 21603219)

(Rimowa is the only brand excluded)

AFAIK, eBags no longer sells Rimowa.

summerdayshopping Oct 14, 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by artemis (Post 21604208)
I took advantage of this promotion to pick up a new Eagle Creek rolling duffel and a new JanSport daypack. I desperately hope the 35x points post, but if they don't at least I will have some quality luggage to show for my efforts (plus the regular FF miles I get from using my AAdvantage credit card).

Why are shopping portals so unreliable when it comes to posting points? It's a real disincentive to using them. Customers shouldn't need screenshots, etc., in order to get the points they've earned. The current portal should work reliably, or the airline/credit card program should jettison it in favor of another one which does.

I bought the Jansport Driver 8 for $72 (20% backpack discount) and it was cheaper than Amazon. :D