Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer dilemma - SPG, Amex MR, HHonors [USA - OZ/NZ]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

hi, need your help and tips to resolve this dilemma with spg points, amex mr and hhonors for trip to aus/nz in dec 2014.

i have approx. 330k skymiles, need 150 more to book 3 business class tickets on VA. i have 60k spg points, which i can transfer to delta and get 85k skymiles, and transfer 65k mr points to get total of 480k points by this december. this will get me 3 tickets.

now lets talk about hotels in aus/nz.

option 1
this will leave me approx 6 months to collect amex points to transfer to hhonors to book hotels in aus/nz.
with hilton devaluation, i would really need good 300k-400k points which i can use with points&money and some free nights to get the hotels done. i am gold and value the lounge access.

option 2
leave spg points as it is, and use some spg points to get free nights and points/money to get the hotels done. with 60k points, i can continue doing more manufactured spending (ms), and try to collect as many points possible for the hotel booking. but then i need 150k mr points to transfer to delta for the flights. i have 65k mr points, i can take points advance from amex on prg and platinum, with ms, i can reach 150k and xfer to delta. i am gold on spg, and will somehow have to work with the hotels managers to get the lounge access.

so based on these details, which option should i go with. i am leaning towards using spg points for hotels, and not on hilton as the amount of points needed will be very high due to devaluation.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:02 am

I would also use the SPG points for hotels. Please don't use the SPG points to transfer to Delta unless you have to. Also note, that American Express ended their points advance feature AFAIK
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyhouse
Hi, need your help and tips to resolve this dilemma with SPG points, Amex MR and HHonors for trip to Aus/NZ in Dec 2014.

I have approx. 330k Skymiles, need 150 more to book 3 business class tickets on VA.
< snip>.
How confident are you of getting 3 business class tickets on Virgin Australia to Australia in December ?
December is peak travel time. Is an optimistc hope.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I would also use the SPG points for hotels. Please don't use the SPG points to transfer to Delta unless you have to. Also note, that American Express ended their points advance feature AFAIK
you are correct, i just read that AMEX ended points advance. its a bummer, so i am left with no choice, but to use spg points to xfer to delta.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: aadvantage
I agree, how does availability look? I would make sure that you get there as you're first priority.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ramosz83
I agree, how does availability look? I would make sure that you get there as you're first priority.
i am planning for dec 2014 so its not open yet. i am planning to book 1 leg as soon as it available, do itinerary change and book the return trip as soon it becomes available. i am hoping this should work out.

but, booking hotels will be tricky, if i use all the spg points. i will have to focus on MS for hilton.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I'm assuming you would transfer AMEX->VA->HH to get 2 for 1.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
I'm assuming you would transfer AMEX-&gt;VA-&gt;HH to get 2 for 1.
Yes, that's the plan. I had done earlier this year too, when there was 33pxt additional points offer with VA.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
the spg points are much more valuable than delta points and hard to earn. You should use them for hotel stays.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rae Song
the spg points are much more valuable than delta points and hard to earn. You should use them for hotel stays.
i agree, but have no choice left but to transfer to delta.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by troyhouse
i agree, but have no choice left but to transfer to delta.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Already have one, delta gold skymiles, which I got last year and up for renewal.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:46 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Regarding Hilton points. How about getting the current Virgin credit card offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.