Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai: Keep MileagePlus or go Emirates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

So I'm moving to Dubai from Texas, USA for the next 3+ years. Between now and the end of 2013, I will take 2.5 trips between IAH to DXB. My concern is whether I should stick with MileagePlus and the star alliance, switch to the Emirates program, or straddle both.

Currently, I have about 43k miles this year with United's mileageplus. If I book my one way to Dubai on United, this will bump me to the MileagePlus gold and hence the Star Alliance gold. My two options as I see them:

1. Straddle: Book my one way to Dubai on United to get Star Alliance gold, then my 2 round trips with Emirates which will give me over 25k miles, and the first privilege level with them. Then, use each as needed in 2014 and beyond.

2. Keep all in with MileagePlus / Star Alliance to consolidate my medium level miles for booking rewards tickets.

Also, online reviews appear to show me that the United Economy Plus seats I would get for these 15 hour flights IAD to DXB are a significantly better experience than economy on the Emirates IAH to DXB 777-300.

Input or advice would be welcome. I need to book for an Oct 21 flight, so looking to make a decision in a day or two. I'm leaning towards option 1 above, but not sure if I'm underestimating:
- Increased comfort with the United Economy Plus over the packed 3x4x3 Emirates economy flights.
- Accessibility of flights from DXB through Emirates vs the Star Alliance

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Moving to Dubai: Keep MilagePlus or go Emirates?

What does the first level of status with emirates get you? If it's just a mileage bonus, I would probably stay with UA until year end and then switch.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

First tier Emirates rewards gets:
Access to Emirates Business Class Lounges in Dubai
25% bonus Skywards Miles when you fly with Emirates
Instant upgrades with miles available on board the aircraft
Guaranteed excess baggage allowances***
Priority check-in
Priority boarding

Nothing that great ... particularly because I will be living in Dubai, so access to the Dubai lounge won't be too useful to me unless I arrive extremely early for flights (usually not my style). I can't imagine a the first tier of four tiers will gather many upgrades from coach to business class.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Moving to Dubai: Keep MilagePlus or go Emirates?

I'd pass on Emirates and try to get to Platinum on UA in 2013.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Except for one or two round trips to the USA per year, most of my travels (expected 50-100k miles) would be to / from destinations outside the USA. Would you still go for UA Platinum, even though I will seldom be on UA flights? From what I can tell, there are zero *A benefit changes between UA gold vs UA Platinum.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Forget about Emirates status and think about Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (redeem on AA, DL, and AS among others) as a place to credit any Emirates flights you might end up taking...
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DubaiBound
Except for one or two round trips to the USA per year, most of my travels (expected 50-100k miles) would be to / from destinations outside the USA.....
Would these flights be on EK Emirates?
Or another airline?
Will you have a choice of airline or will it be a corporate edict?
What class of travel?

Alaska is a very good idea. Has a wide range of partners. But check if the EK flights you may fly are mile earning
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 5, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

My flights from Dubai will all be booked by myself, so I can choose the carrier. EK has many directs from Dubai available around the world, but there seems to be enough *A flights to get by with transfers. Company policy allows "Premium Economy," but not business class or first.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is EK does not have Premium Economy
You may wish to avoid EK economy on long fligts
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP's corporate travel policy allows premium economy, OP should never use EK if they don't offer premium economy. Check what *A carriers serve DXB and have a premium economy cabin, which is better than Y+ on UA.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:30 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
In the spirit of FT I say get to the highest status you can with one program first. This would look like United for you as you have already 43K EQM so I would hope you could make it to Platinum or 1K. I am sorry I am a One World person and am not that informed on Star Alliance Carriers. I do like using them for some awards though. I know you could use Star Alliance carriers from your new home base DXB and have a chance of upgrades on long hauls. I hope someone can provide you with more information on Star Alliance.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Another problem with EK is that IIRC their miles expire after 3 years even with activity. Crediting EK miles to AS gets approx 50% miles for affordable Y.

DXB is well connected and so I think you will find non-stops quite easily. Also I am not sure how easy it is to redeem EK miles and whether one can mix n match like with UA.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP's corporate travel policy allows premium economy, OP should never use EK if they don't offer premium economy. Check what *A carriers serve DXB and have a premium economy cabin, which is better than Y+ on UA.
I would highly recommend Turkish Airlines (*A) Premium Economy/Comfort Class. They use Business Class seats. It looks like they fly into/out of IAH as well as DXB. You would have the added benefit of the lounge in IST.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:14 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
You will be flying EK a lot and I will suggest getting status on it. They have priority lines for security, immigration etc .. much worth the time saved.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
One thing to remember is that in 2014 UA has the spend requirement (EQD) to make elite status. You will have to spend $5000, before taxes, on UA to make gold. So flying *A partners for your non-US trips and meeting the 50K EQM alone is not going to be enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.