FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Citibank Checking 40,000 TY Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1500473-citibank-checking-40-000-ty-points.html)

Shuai Zeng Sep 5, 2013 12:56 pm

Citibank Checking 40,000 TY Points

Found this:
https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/13...7C6EBDA95B1B3D

You get 30,000 TYPoints for Opening a checking account with 1 qualify & 2 month of direct deposit.
You get 10,000 TYPoints after 60 days of account, and download app + paperless statement.

Mod, please move where you think this should go, or delete if has been posted.

tnpatterson Sep 5, 2013 1:17 pm

Any thoughts on what happens if you close a Citigold account after receiving the points? Clawback? Scanned the T&Cs and don't see a provision for that.

roki Sep 5, 2013 1:24 pm

Points earned from the product will be forfeited upon closure. You would need to use them before closing out the account. It might be within 30 days, but they definitely go away.

Happy Sep 5, 2013 3:32 pm

Points earned from Banking products are considered Interest and subject to tax.

Search 1099 from Citi on this forum to learn more before you are duped to sign up.

Mbcijim10 Sep 5, 2013 3:44 pm

From the T&C if you scroll down on the provided link (under number 2):

Important Tax Information: Enrollment in Citi ThankYou Rewards and this offer limited to customers who are either citizens or resident aliens of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The value of the rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.

Mbcijim10 Sep 5, 2013 3:53 pm

Looks like Thank you points are basically good for 1 penny per point in gift cards or up to (but not exceeding) 1.33 cents per point when airline tickets are booked through their webpage.

$30 per month fee if balance is less than $50 (30k TYP) or $20k per month for the 10k TYP.

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...do?ID=Packages for a list of all the fees and minimum balances. They didn't make that easy to find.

jaymar01 Sep 5, 2013 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 (Post 21395210)
From the T&C if you scroll down on the provided link (under number 2):

Important Tax Information: Enrollment in Citi ThankYou Rewards and this offer limited to customers who are either citizens or resident aliens of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The value of the rewards from redeemed Points may be reported to the IRS as miscellaneous income on Form 1099-MISC in the year redeemed, if the value of the rewards plus other taxable miscellaneous income awards received from Citibank, N.A., is in the aggregate $600 or greater for a calendar year, as required by applicable law. Customer is responsible for any applicable taxes.

I did this promotion last Summer for 40,000 Thank You points, and never got 1099 from Citi. As 40,000 Thank You points equates to $400 in Best Buy gift cards, it may fall below the minimum threshold.

As an aside, I was able to meet the terms of the promo and cash out before any monthly fees kicked in. Of course, YMMV.

Mbcijim10 Sep 5, 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jaymar01 (Post 21395291)
I did this promotion last Summer for 40,000 Thank You points, and never got 1099 from Citi. As 40,000 Thank You points equates to $400 in Best Buy gift cards, it may fall below the minimum threshold.

As an aside, I was able to meet the terms of the promo and cash out before any monthly fees kicked in. Of course, YMMV.

Do you know how long it took for points to post?

Thinking about doing it but it takes 2 months to meet required conditions. If it takes 4 months that's $120 in fees. Still ahead but...

I think my wife & I will pull the trigger. Worst case $240 in fees for $800 in gift cards.

jaymar01 Sep 5, 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 (Post 21395769)

Thinking about doing it but it takes 2 months to meet required conditions. If it takes 4 months that's $120 in fees. Still ahead but...

I think my wife & I will pull the trigger. Worst case $240 in fees for $800 in gift cards.

The points posted in just a week or two after the terms of the promotion were met....although I was definitely applying pressure.

Make sure you call them when doing the monthly bill payment. A "qualifying" payment is not straightforward as you would think, and I found it better to have the Citibank Customer Service rep make it from my account.

A simple money transfer from my regular checking qualified as "direct deposit".

As I mentioned earlier, I was never assessed any monthly fees prior to account closing.

skibum7732 Sep 5, 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10 (Post 21395769)

Mine took 4 months to post and my wife's took 5 months. Took numerous phone calls and if they do not post in time you have to wait until the next months cycle to end for them to post. Mine posted after 1st phone call, but wife was told her's would post at end of month, but they did not. Waited another month and made a few more calls until they finally posted.

No fees for first 2 months. I ended up with $60 in fees. She ended up with only $30 in fees as she raised hell about it taking so long and they refunded her 2 months fees. Still well worth it for $800 in Marriott gc's, but there will likely be phone calls to get points posted.

Anyone know how long you have to wait to reapply for a new acct and get the bonus? I would like to go after this one again, but could not find an answer. Thanks

ThePointsCollector Sep 5, 2013 9:30 pm

Neh, not worth the trouble.

troyhouse Sep 5, 2013 10:08 pm

no fees if the balance is 50K, right?

and can i convert typ to skymiles?

x712xdamx Sep 5, 2013 10:53 pm

Literally ALL the information on the different account fees is in the small print terms at the bottom of the page.... Those with low risk/fee tolerance can do the basic checking for 10k points and there's no fees on that account as long as you have 1 direct deposit (ach) & bill pay a month, which you alread have to do for the points. See terms below...

Copied and pasted:

ThankYou® Points will be credited to your ThankYou Member Account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you satisfy all offer requirements.
1. Qualifications:
To qualify for 30,000 bonus ThankYou Points, open a new Regular Checking account in The Citigold® Account Package; or to qualify for 10,000 bonus ThankYou Points, open a new Regular Checking account in The Citibank® Account Package or Basic Banking Package.
Within 60 days after account opening, you must enroll the new checking account in Citi ThankYou® Rewards and; 1 qualifying direct deposit must be credited, and 1 qualifying bill payment must be posted, to the new checking account and such activities must also occur during a calendar month and the following calendar month.
Qualifying direct deposits are Automated Clearing House (ACH) credits, which may include payroll, pension, or government payments (such as Social Security) by your employer or an outside agency. Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi MobileSM or Citiphone Banking®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts of Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer.
2. To qualify for an additional 10,000 bonus ThankYou® Points:
You must satisfy the qualifications described above AND within 60 days after account opening complete one of the following digital services:
- Download the Citi MobileSM App and use the app to sign on with the same User ID and Password you use to access your new checking account online;
- Or Enroll your new checking account in paperless statements.
Citibank Online registration is required before you can complete any of these digital services.
Separate enrollment of eligible checking account in Citi ThankYou® Rewards required. Citi ThankYou Rewards enrollment and participation are subject to terms, conditions and restrictions. Visit thankyou.com to see the various rewards available in the Citi ThankYou® Program; ThankYou Rewards and the ThankYou Point levels for specific rewards are subject to change without notice. Customers must log in to their ThankYou Member Account to see specific rewards and redemption values available to them.
Offer is for new checking customers only, 18 years or older. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Limit of one offer per customer and account. Offer expires 10/31/13, may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer. If you have received a bonus reward for opening a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years you will not be eligible to receive a bonus associated with this offer. Your new Regular Checking account in The Citigold Account Package, The Citibank Account Package or the Basic Banking Package must be open and in good standing at the time the bonus ThankYou Points are posted to your ThankYou Member Account.
Information about Banking Products and services
3. Get cash, get information and transfer balances between eligible linked Citibank accounts with no ATM usage fee when you use your Citibank ATM or Debit Card at ATMs at Citibank branches and Citibank-branded ATMs at other locations. Not all ATMs are owned or operated by Citibank. Not all functions available at all ATMs.
4. Citibank does not charge you a fee for using Citi Mobile or for the Citibank for iPad app. However, charges from your wireless carrier may apply. Regular account charges apply.
5. Citigold Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 in deposits and retirement balances OR $100,000 in combined average monthly balances in deposits, retirement, investments, credit cards, and loans/lines of credit excluding first mortgage, otherwise a $30.00 monthly service fee is applied. Ask for details.
Citibank Account Package - Monthly service fee is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $15,000 in eligible linked products otherwise a monthly service fee of $20.00 is applied. Eligible linked products are linked deposits, loans, mortgages, credit cards, retirement and investment accounts. Ask for details.
Basic Banking Package - Monthly service fee is waived if the following transactions are completed: maintain a combined average monthly balance of $1,500 in either your Basic checking or your linked Basic Savings Account OR if One Qualifying Direct Deposit is credited to your Basic Checking account or to a linked Day-to-Day Savings in a Basic Banking Package AND One Qualifying Bill Payment is posted to your Basic Checking account. Otherwise a $10.00 monthly service fee is applied. Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi MobileSM or CitiPhone Banking®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts with Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer. Qualifying direct deposits are Automated Clearing House (ACH) credits, which may include payroll, pension, or government payments (such as Social Security) by your employer or an outside agency. Ask for details.
This page contains information about U.S. domestic financial services provided by the Citigroup family of companies and is intended for use domestically in the U.S.
citi.comTerms & Conditions Security Privacy
©2013 Citibank. Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC. Citi, Citibank, Citi with Arc Design, Citigold, CitiPhone Banking and ThankYou are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc. Citi Mobile is a service marks of Citigroup Inc.

mia Sep 6, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse (Post 21396799)
can i convert typ to skymiles?

No, ThankYou points cannot be transferred to any airline.

spankytoes Sep 6, 2013 9:46 am

Meh. I'll wait for the AA offer.