Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: shopping portal + airline credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Question: shopping portal + airline credit card

I been searching for this answer and can't seem to find one.

If I go and buy $100 from Home depot from United shopping portal at 2 miles per $ but end up paying with my United explorer card.

Do I only get 200 points or 300?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jjfuentes13
I been searching for this answer and can't seem to find one.

If I go and buy $100 from Home depot from United shopping portal at 2 miles per $ but end up paying with my United explorer card.

Do I only get 200 points or 300?
The shopping portal will pay you 200 (unless it's Cartera ) and the credit card will give you 100. 2 different point payers but they will both end up in your United account.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Since your a newbie.be sure to check nerdwallet or evreward to make sure you get the most pts possible
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I prefer to use my SPG AMEX. Get the storefront points and then some SPG points as well.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Not directly tied to your question, but i just used my Chase Ink card to buy a $500 Lowes (home imporvement) GC. The Chase Portal had 5pts per dollar at lowes, so i used my GC through there. I wasn't sure if it was going to work because the terms said you had to use a Chase Card to get the 5X, but i used the GC and it worked. so 10pts for my purchase at Lowes.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I rarely use online shopping portals but would like to top off a FF balance (with a relatively small number of miles). Regardless of credit card used, are miles (or points) credited (from the portal) based on purchase price only? Based on purchase price + tax + shipping? Is the answer the same for all programs? Thank you. (I understand that if an associated credit card is used, the points or miles will be based on the total amount of the charge.)
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
.....top off a FF balance ....
Which program?

AAdvantage shopping: Miles are awarded based on the price of goods or services purchased, excluding shipping, applicable taxes and any special handling fees.

Delta shopping:

Do I earn miles on shipping costs?
No. Miles are calculated based on the subtotal amount before shipping fees and taxes. Be sure to visit the free shipping section of the SkyMiles® Shopping site to access free shipping offers.

United shopping:

Do I earn award miles on shipping costs?
No. Award miles are calculated based on the subtotal before shipping fees and taxes. Be sure to visit the free shipping section of the MileagePlus Shopping site to access free shipping offers.
Dr Jabadski likes this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2022 at 3:52 pm
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thank you very much mia.
Originally Posted by mia
Which program? …
British Airways of course, the one you didn’t list. But after reading your reply I found the quote below, don’t know why I didn’t find it before. Thanks again.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This was a pretty useful thread in its day for understanding who the dominant players are in the portal business, but not updated since 2017:

[Consolidated]Cartera & beyond: list online shopping portal operators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.